Question of efficiency of converter charging Lithium battery - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2021, 11:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Question of efficiency of converter charging Lithium battery

Curious if anyone has any data on the efficiency of charging a Lithium house battery with the onboard converter from shore power? Particularly of the power draw of the converter when the Lithium battery is fully charged? I ask because I am curious about the efficiency of charging the Lithium house battery with an external “solar generator & solar panels” to provide shore power to charge the house battery. I have tried this with a Scamp with AGM battery and that was quite inefficient, I think because you can always run power through a lead battery. When a Lithium battery is fully charged I think the power draw should be very low. Thanks.
DougO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:48 AM   #2

Lithium batteries don't particularly like to see a charge current when they are totally full. At home, under cover and plugged in, I turn the AC breaker to the charger off when the batteries are full. There are enough phantom draws to bring the batteries down to 50-60% in a week or so. At that time I turn the charger back on for an hour or so to get it back toward 100%.

When out in the sun the solar controller takes care of cutting the current to the batteries when full.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote