Questions about battery cable length and stiffness - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Questions about battery cable length and stiffness

I may have asked these questions before and forgot. That's okay-- a rehash would be useful to new members of the Forum:

1. More than a year ago I installed two BattleBorn lithium batteries in my Escape. I bought cables for them that are 1/0 in size. The red cables are two feet long, the black cables are one foot long. Since then I have read that all battery cables in a multi-battery system should be the same length. Please comment.

2. These battery cables are 1/0 marine grade cables. They are pretty stiff. When I initially installed them I was concerned that the stiffness could damage the terminals on my new batteries due to the torque. After being on the batteries overnight I noticed that they "formed" to their new shape and no longer put a stress on the terminals. I am in the process of reconfiguring my battery compartment to add more batteries. Is my concern about stress on the battery terminals valid? I could "pre-form" new cables to their anticipated shape ahead of time and leave them overnight in the new shape. What do you think? I'd hate to ruin a $950 battery by damaging its terminals. I'd probably cuss.

Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I may have asked these questions before and forgot. That's okay-- a rehash would be useful to new members of the Forum:

1. More than a year ago I installed two BattleBorn lithium batteries in my Escape. I bought cables for them that are 1/0 in size. The red cables are two feet long, the black cables are one foot long. Since then I have read that all battery cables in a multi-battery system should be the same length. Please comment.

2. These battery cables are 1/0 marine grade cables. They are pretty stiff. When I initially installed them I was concerned that the stiffness could damage the terminals on my new batteries due to the torque. After being on the batteries overnight I noticed that they "formed" to their new shape and no longer put a stress on the terminals. I am in the process of reconfiguring my battery compartment to add more batteries. Is my concern about stress on the battery terminals valid? I could "pre-form" new cables to their anticipated shape ahead of time and leave them overnight in the new shape. What do you think? I'd hate to ruin a $950 battery by damaging its terminals. I'd probably cuss.

Thanks.
Regarding #2 I thought that flexibility was one reason guys use welding cable for larger gauge applications. I used 6 AWG for some rewiring recently and it was fantastic.
https://powerwerx.com/welding-cable-epdm
Old 02-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The relative length of cables on the positive and negative side of the battery doesn't matter. What matter in a parallel battery configuration is that the total resistance of wire and wiring devices is the same for the current paths through each battery - if you trace the route going through battery #1 or battery #2, the total length of wire that you go through should be the same. Effectively that means that the sections of wiring in common don't matter (to this issue of matching wiring), and the sections which are unique to each path should ideally be the same length.

Many online diagrams showing how to wire batteries in parallel violate this rule.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Brain answered #1

#2 the Battle born terminals are one the strongest Terminals in the business.I like there design because you really cant over torque them. I don't think with 1/0 you have anything to worry about. You could also heat the outside up with the heat gun . This would make the cable jacket more flexible. I assuming that your wire is stiffer because it has a PVC jacket as opposed to rubber as used in welding wire.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Interesting thoughts, Mike. My Battleborn’s arrived yesterday, but the 1/0 cables are still stuck in FedEx somewhere so can’t see them yet to get a look at what you mention with the stiffness.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One note on adding Battleborn batteries to an existing Battleborn system - According to Roni Ventura of Dragonfly Energy (the non RV side of Battleborn) they do not recommend adding new batteries to a system more than 2 years old.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
One note on adding Battleborn batteries to an existing Battleborn system - According to Roni Ventura of Dragonfly Energy (the non RV side of Battleborn) they do not recommend adding new batteries to a system more than 2 years old.

That's good to know, thanks. I still have time to complete my system.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote