Questions after orientation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Questions after orientation

Finally got Mutt Hut home Friday after rather hellish winter storm/snowfall warnings for the last 600 km. Came home to about 8" of snow - poor trailer is such a mess!

Anyway, I seem to be blanking out on some things covered during Orientation of my 17B...

1). I have the solar and dual 6V batteries. The inverter is along the back wall of the trailer under the permanent rear bed in a spot that's hellish to access. I'm supposed to have power to all the plugs from the. Arteries. Tried that while camping on the way home with no hookups and there was no power to the outlets. Once I got home, I twisted myself under the bed to find the inverter was Off. at this time, I was plugged in to shore power. I turned the inverter On, but when I plugged in a small electric space heater (under the impression it would automatically default to the AC from the shore power), the inverter started beeping. I couldn't see what it was "saying".

So, I came in and read the manual. Now my understanding is that the switch on the inverter needs to be left in the Remote (middle) position, and that I turn the inverter on by holding down the AC button on the display panel for 3 seconds. And that the inverter only needs to be on when I have no shore power and want to use the 120V outlets. And should I turn it off when not using the 120V plugs, or can it stay on while boondocking? Do I have it right??

2). Total brain fart - what is the remote on the lanyard with the trailer keys for It has a power button, an up arrow, and a down arrow.

3). I got the 2 way hot water tank. Worked fine on propane when we had no hookups. There is an on-off switch on the exterior panel for the hot water tank - I believe when this is on, it's running on electric, and when it's off, it runs on propane?? And I believe it can run on both to heat the water up faster (switch On and propane on)?? But the purpose of the 2-way is to not use propane when hooked up to shore power...outside of turning off the propane, how do you set it for power only Also, I'm assuming the hot water tank isn't hooked up to the inverter?? Ie. if the switch is on when boon docking, will it work off of the battery??

My head hurts from thinking!!!
Any wisdom and experience is greatly appreciated!!
Brenda
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The power button on your lanyard is for the awning light, which you hold down one button and it dims, other brightens, other is on/off. Know nothing about inverter operation the nor 2 way water heater set up, too complicated.. There is a remote for the awning plus an "on/off" switch by the door which must be on for the remote to operate the awning.
Tr to use your propane heater before your electric on batteries.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The two way water heater will run on propane or electric......or both. You would run both when you want fast recovery (a heated tank of water faster). The switch on the tank (outside) for AC power is independent of the propane switch inside; they control their own functions. And although I do not have the inverter, I strongly doubt the water heater is hooked to it. The power required to heat water electrically using an inverter would quickly drain the battery.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 17
blhvet
on your key lanyard. You have the purple door key, what's that second chrome key for? I could not find a lock for it? No exterior storage hatch option either so that is not it for me. Thanks in advance.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
blhvet
on your key lanyard. You have the purple door key, what's that second chrome key for? I could not find a lock for it? No exterior storage hatch option either so that is not it for me. Thanks in advance.
The second key is for the exterior hatch, if no hatch you can use it to open other's hatches, it is a universal key.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post

So, I came in and read the manual. Now my understanding is that the switch on the inverter needs to be left in the Remote (middle) position, and that I turn the inverter on by holding down the AC button on the display panel for 3 seconds. And that the inverter only needs to be on when I have no shore power and want to use the 120V outlets. And should I turn it off when not using the 120V plugs, or can it stay on while boondocking? Do I have it right??

if the switch is on when boon docking, will it work off of the battery??

My head hurts from thinking!!!
Any wisdom and experience is greatly appreciated!!
Brenda
Hi Brenda, Yes leave it on the remote setting, you do not need to access it. just press the AC button on your solar controler panel for 3 seconds and you will see a little ac plug show on the monitor in the upper right hand corner. Wait about a minute and you will hear a click, that is the inverter kicking in. You will now have power to all plugs. When the inverter is not needed just hold same button down for 3 seconds and inverter will turn off. When the inverter is on it uses a small amount of electricity so best to turn off when not needed. No the inverter will not run your water heater, when boon docking just run your water heater off propane.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Be very careful when running the water heater that there is sufficient water in the hot water tank before you turn it on. At our orientation, we were shown the impact on the electric water heater element of turning it on with no water in the tank. The upshot is not pretty and expensive to fix, so be careful as it only takes a relatively short period to fry the electric water heater element.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Be very careful when running the water heater that there is sufficient water in the hot water tank before you turn it on. At our orientation, we were shown the impact on the electric water heater element of turning it on with no water in the tank. The upshot is not pretty and expensive to fix, so be careful as it only takes a relatively short period to fry the electric water heater element.
I am one that fried the heater element . But I wouldn't call it expensive to replace. <$20 including the removal tool. But that was money I couldn't spend someplace else either.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I am one that fried the heater element . But I wouldn't call it expensive to replace. <$20 including the removal tool. But that was money I couldn't spend someplace else either.
Holds up hand! "Me too". Well, actually I blame Lisa. I did leave the switch on after draining, but she is the one who plugged it in and powered it up.

It was an easy swap out, not too expensive, but still a pain in the butt to have to do. Glad it happened in the drive. This is why I like the indication inside, and will be adding a switch to my monitor panel. Why? Because I can, and I want to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Holds up hand! "Me too". Well, actually I blame Lisa. I did leave the switch on after draining, but she is the one who plugged it in and powered it up.

It was an easy swap out, not too expensive, but still a pain in the butt to have to do. Glad it happened in the drive. This is why I like the indication inside, and will be adding a switch to my monitor panel. Why? Because I can, and I want to.
Can't say "I feel your pain," but I can say "I don't want to feel your pain." I added a switch in the dinette kick wall just behind the refrigerator. I would have put it next to the propane switch, but I considered the routing of a length of Romeo around the refrigerator to get there and came to the conclusion that it wasn't ideal. I did use a "Decora" switch that had an indicator light in it (found it on Amazon). And I do carry a spare heating element "just in case." I agree fully it is more convenient if it happens in the drive. But I disagree with one point you have made. How can you possibly try to blame the lovely Lisa? Oh, the shame of it!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
But I disagree with one point you have made. How can you possibly try to blame the lovely Lisa? Oh, the shame of it!
You know it is never my fault, I told you that before.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Think I just smoked mine, will find out when I put some water in it. Donna, what's the removal tool?
Old 04-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Think I just smoked mine, will find out when I put some water in it. Donna, what's the removal tool?
A 1 1/2" socket. Wanna borrow mine?
Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #14

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
How do you know if there is water in the water-heater tank? Can I tell by turning on the hot tap and if water comes out, there's water in the tank? Doug would know, but he's taking a nap and I want to get this info while I'm thinking about it.
Lucy
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
I just bought this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories.../CAM09883.html
Old 04-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetz View Post
How do you know if there is water in the water-heater tank? Can I tell by turning on the hot tap and if water comes out, there's water in the tank? Doug would know, but he's taking a nap and I want to get this info while I'm thinking about it.
Lucy
Yes, just open a hot tap until just water comes out, that will mean it is full.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #17

Quote:
They sell them at Lowe's for about $10. It's not a conventional socket that uses a ratchet. It has two holes through which you insert a screwdriver, and the screwdriver is used to apply the necessary leverage. At least that's how mine is.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #18

Quote:
They sell them at Lowe's for about $10. It's not a conventional socket that uses a ratchet. It has two holes through which you insert a screwdriver, and the screwdriver is used to apply the necessary leverage. At least that's how mine is.
A 1 1/2" socket does the same thing, for about the same price, and is built way tougher than the removal tool. I remember having to put pretty good torque on the swing arm to break the seal.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...rned-1576.html
Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A 1 1/2" socket does the same thing, for about the same price, and is built way tougher than the removal tool. I remember having to put pretty good torque on the swing arm to break the seal.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...rned-1576.html
Guess I'll have to find a 1-1/2" socket someplace. Not so worried if at home, but on the road, it would be a real PITA!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Guess I'll have to find a 1-1/2" socket someplace. Not so worried if at home, but on the road, it would be a real PITA!
Since I bought the other tool... it's only used for fixing the water heater. It stays in the tool box in the trailer. If it was a socket, I'd probably leave it at home in the garage toolbox.