quick connect location - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 escape 21
quick connect location

I was told the only location for the quick connect on the 21 was to be just in front of the door down low.
Does anyone know why this is? I would prefer to have it just behind rear wheel.
brynwatkins49@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brynwatkins49@gmail.com View Post
I was told the only location for the quick connect on the 21 was to be just in front of the door down low.
Just one of those things they will not change. Probably something to do with their certification.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 escape 21
quick connect location

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think of that, you're probably right. They may have to apply for new certification for the quick connect in a different location. Thanks
brynwatkins49@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Or you could DIY like Jim Bennett and put it behind a hatch too. I think it's slick!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by brynwatkins49@gmail.com View Post
I brought that up with them too and pointed out that the passenger side rear made a lot more sense in more cases for most of their customers, including me. Pull through sites are a mixed bag in terms of placement, but for back in sites the vehicle is closer to the road side, and the rear of the trailer is more likely to be closer to the milling around area of the campsite where I'd want my fire pit or BBQ or stove.

If I ever get around to it I'll install a second quick connect on the driver side rear near the bumper and I'll be able to reach in opposite directions. I also got a 20' hose that should make placement easier.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Just one of those things they will not change. Probably something to do with their certification.
I had a conversation with Reace about this during my build sheet phase. He had concerns about running a propane line over axles. After his explanation, all I did was purchase a 12' extension hose and run it to the back of the trailer and then connect to another hose. The problem I envisioned with the door front location has never been a problem.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I had a conversation with Reace about this during my build sheet phase. He had concerns about running a propane line over axles. After his explanation, all I did was purchase a 12' extension hose and run it to the back of the trailer and then connect to another hose. The problem I envisioned with the door front location has never been a problem.
Just what I was going to say. Which a short 10-12' extension, you can put the end of the hose anywhere you want. Add another hose too if desired. I used 27' of hose to my Outland Firebowl with no problems at all.

This is the quick connect that Donna mentioned I have installed. I am very pleased that it meets all expectations I had for it, mostly that it was closed away when not in use and thus does not suffer any abuse like the one on my 19 did. Something similar could be added to any Escape trailer.

I mounted it on the front of the trailer, just inside the frame.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I had a conversation with Reace about this during my build sheet phase. He had concerns about running a propane line over axles.
Escape uses copper line, protected by a plastic sleeve, for all propane plumbing (as far as I have seen). If anyone is concerned about damage to this type of line (presumably the issue with running past the axle position), the extension can just be plumbed with iron pipe... that has been a common (likely the most common) material choice for propane lines below the floor of an RV for decades.

I'm a little puzzled, though: the furnace was in the rear of the 21' for years, and the water heater is back there in all of the other models... which means the propane line runs to behind the axle(s). So, what's the issue? Does the line run only inside the body from some point ahead of the axle(s)? If so, the line to an outlet at the rear would need to tee off before the line goes up into the body.

An outlet at the rear (presumably on the passenger/curb side, but it doesn't matter) can be bracketed to the frame or bumper in a protected position without requiring a penetration of the body... just like the stock Escape installation (but better protected), or like Myron's setup in the tongue area.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm a little puzzled, though: the furnace was in the rear of the 21' for years, and the water heater is back there in all of the other models... which means the propane line runs to behind the axle(s). So, what's the issue? Does the line run only inside the body from some point ahead of the axle(s)? If so, the line to an outlet at the rear would need to tee off before the line goes up into the body.
I just checked my 2017 17b and the propane line goes behind the axle to the water heater and the fridge, so that's not a problem.

After the axle, there is one last part of the frame that the propane line would have to go through where the rear stablizers are attached. Fortunately, there is a very nice hole already drilled into the frame at that point. The front stabalizer has a similar hole in the frame at the equivalent location, so I think ETI is just using the same frame piece in both locations, which is fortunate if your plan is to have an additional quick connect in the rear.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I bought parts and installed my own quick-connect at the regulator. Then upgraded to a better regulator, but this arrangement I find, makes access to the quick connect impossible unless you remove the tank shroud.
Attached Thumbnails
Quiknew.jpg  
Old 08-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Myron, could you run the line down so it goes out the bottom of the shroud?
I did like your solution when I saw it at Quartzsite, but removing the shroud would get old.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Yes, that's very possible and I have looked at that. It means cutting a wider path through the tank tray so the connections can clear. Very doable but first if I can run the pipe behind the regulator and clear it's bracket and not be touching the tanks, I would prefer that because - no kneeling to connect.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I find that since I got the 11 lb tank which I store in the front box, I use the quick connect less frequently than I used to. The little tank gives complete portability, even over to another campsite where there is free beer for nice guys carrying two tanks, one with propane gas, the other restrained by a nice leather girth strap.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have an 11 pd tank too i love it very handy
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote