quickie flush - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: quickie flush

Just picked up the Tornado Flush today from a local shop. Going to give it a try. They claim they sold more of them than the Quicke Flush, so only stock them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)
Re: quickie flush

This is interesting. The Quickie Flush and the Tornado Flush are sold by the same company, for the same purpose, and at the same price point. (Different strokes for...?) The QF has multiple nozzles at all angles to spray the water. The TF has fewer nozzles but the housing rotates to shoot water everywhere. A Google search indicates the TF tends to clog and stop rotating, although most of the reports seem to be anecdotal. Whichever you use, don't over tighten the connections; the plastic is kind of fragile.

Marv
Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #23

Trailer: sold it
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarvin View Post
I installed a Quickie Flush on our Escape 5.0. We are very happy with it. On the 5.0, the forward wall of the black tank is accessible through the left forward cargo hatch. Except for having to work through the small opening, installing it is easy.

I didn't use the tubing and hose connector that came with the kit. Instead, I bought an external water inlet and pressure-resistant tubing.

I helped a friend install one on his Escape 19. Access to the black tank there was even easier.

To use it, I connect a dedicated hose to the external inlet. Open the black drain valve, then turn on the water. I time-share by draining the grey at the same time. By the time the grey is empty, the black is rinsed. I don't use a clear elbow; I'm not interested in watching the water become clear.

Marv
Marv - I'd like to install the black-water tank flush as you did. Did you get at the tank through the bottom of the cargo hatch?
Thank you,
John
Old 07-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jim,
Have you installed yours yet? Any pictures to share?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim,
Have you installed yours yet? Any pictures to share?
: Nope, not yet. I did get a few other mods done this year, but not that one (or another 10 or so that are on the books). When I do, I will take photos. It should be fairly easy in the 19, as there is good access in the dinette suite.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Has Reace ever installed this for anyone on a new Escape?
Old 09-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #27

Probably a really stupid question so please humour me. I don't understand the concern about your black tank (or grey for that matter) being cleaned. The sensors at best are crude indicators and prone to failure and "clean" is a relative term particularly for black tanks.

Dave
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #28

Clean tanks not only help your sensors but they also allow you trouble free use of your tanks. If you do not routinely clean out your tanks and let sludge and other waste build up, you will have to replace the tanks as they become unusable.
If you have ever owned a septic system it is very similar, you can ignore it and after 10 years replace it ($$) or you can maintain it with clean outs and other ways and the system will operate for a long time trouble free. Your choice.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I installed a flush system for both tanks - Photos & description near the bottom at my modifications page.

As to why, while it is nice to be able to clean the sensors, I agree that other than annoying me to see them reading incorrectly, cleaning the tanks keeps odors down, particularly if you spend a fair amount of time between dumps.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
Probably a really stupid question so please humour me. I don't understand the concern about your black tank (or grey for that matter) being cleaned. The sensors at best are crude indicators and prone to failure and "clean" is a relative term particularly for black tanks.

Dave
LOL.. I'm with you Dave.. kind of like not eating the yellow snow.. speaking of which I suspect there are geography effects on this odorous topic. It really doesn't matter what non liquids remain in the tanks for six months of the year in most of Canada. All the bad stuff gets freeze dried at -40 f/c doesn't matter
Old 09-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #31

Yes, but once it happens, it is very hard to remove come next thaw, It is far better to have it empty and frozen vs dirty and frozen. That is the reason you should never leave you valve open while hooked up, the fluids drain leaving a dried up mess which the next time may not move itself. It is always best to keep your tanks filled with fluid before dumping solids, otherwise you will have problems.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, but once it happens, it is very hard to remove come next thaw, It is far better to have it empty and frozen vs dirty and frozen. That is the reason you should never leave you valve open while hooked up, the fluids drain leaving a dried up mess which the next time may not move itself. It is always best to keep your tanks filled with fluid before dumping solids, otherwise you will have problems.
Agree completely with always dumping with full black tanks but winter store in Canada with a little anti freeze in the otherwise drained black/grey tanks.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #33

Thanks for the responses.

I know sludge can build up in a stationary system but everything gets sloshed arond pretty well when we drive provided there is the usual fluid/semi-solid ratio. The expulsion pathway is extremely short at least to the hose so not like a septic system.

I know there will be times when cleaning the tanks is a really good idea but this looks like a solution looking for a problem. It seems like a lot of extra time and effort to do it on a regular basis for what likely isn't a problem except for the sensor system that at best is crude and in order to keep them working (and sometimes not accurately at that) you pretty much have to do it everytime.

Cleaning because you have to remove the tank or if the smell is unbearable I can see but there are always deodorants for the latter.

Dave
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I asked, Reace will not install a Quickie Flush.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I know sludge can build up in a stationary system but everything gets sloshed arond pretty well when we drive provided there is the usual fluid/semi-solid ratio. The expulsion pathway is extremely short at least to the hose so not like a septic system.

I know there will be times when cleaning the tanks is a really good idea but this looks like a solution looking for a problem. It seems like a lot of extra time and effort to do it on a regular basis for what likely isn't a problem except for the sensor system that at best is crude and in order to keep them working (and sometimes not accurately at that) you pretty much have to do it everytime.

Cleaning because you have to remove the tank or if the smell is unbearable I can see but there are always deodorants for the latter.

Dave
The problem arises not in your discharge lines nor in your septic drain fields, it is in your holding tank.
Actually if you follow proper protocol, you may not need a flush, the flush could be considered a short cut for those instances you did not follow the accepted way.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #36

They are very easy to install, a kit at CW is around $20, I have put several in. In the 19' the tank is very accessible, as in the new 21'. You drill an outside hole and mount a hose inlet, secure plastic tubing to the inside and run it to your tank, you drill another hole and attach a spinner fitting, seal and attach your plastic tubing. The only chance of leaks is while using the unit or if your install was not correct to the tank.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #37

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
we use the wand that Reace sold us to clean the sensors--the grey often showed 1/3 "full" even when empty--so we filled it up totally with clean water, added a splash of simple green...rocked around a bit in the trailer to slosh it around---let it sit overnight and Doug cleaned it out really well today--bits of cruddy stuff came out and you can see the light shining through the tanks...Not cleaned for the "season" as we are going out in it next weekend but then it will be winterized...
The black tank has only had "yellow" stuff in it and those sensors seems to read well...I've heard the bag of ice cube trick at the end of a trip will help scrape things off the walls--so far haven't needed to do that!
Old 09-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #38

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
I asked, Reace will not install a Quickie Flush.
Did he give a reason?
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
For what it is worth...I have been doing the ice cube thing along with an enzyme pouch on the trips home and so far so good.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Did he give a reason?
Possibly due to backflow prevention/anti siphoning issues.. one needs to be extra careful connecting public water supplies to plumbing connected to the grey/black water side of things .. lots of different rules in each and every jurisdiction.