Re-thinking the RM8551 4.3 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
The down side of having the buss block and the fuse on the top of the unit is having to remove the front fascia if one suspected a blown fuse.
At least the fuse holder in Myrons junction box faces forward. The fuse holder in my junction box faces toward the rear of the fridge. Is there no standard installation procedure ?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
At least the fuse holder in Myrons junction box faces forward. The fuse holder in my junction box faces toward the rear of the fridge. Is there no standard installation procedure ?
Small solace. Suppose you were someone who had never worked on your refrigerator, how would you know there was even a fuse THERE? You shouldn't have to do that kind of work to check a fuse, strikes me that the installation wasn't correct in the first place.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This problem has surfaced only after I did the work listed in my initial post. My batteries, etc etc are all fine. I did plug it directly into shore power. Results are same. It waits an hour and a half, then shuts down, starts blinking red. Never happens on propane.

The question of standard installation - more specifically the "very odd" differences in Dometic's assembly, and locations of parts for the same model is very interesting. Here's a pix of my fridge controls display. Dave1, who got his 4.3 a month before me, has a completely different display.

Got a month left on warranty...I'm taking the thing to a Dometic authorized repair shop. My earliest appointment: Monday 3Aug. Meanwhile....
Attached Thumbnails
Domfront.jpg  
Old 07-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Your display is different the mine too. I had not notice that before.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #45

The problem is solved.

In speaking to my trailer service guy this afternoon, telling him this tale of woe, he suggested before bringing the trailer in I should try removing that Snip-the-Tip aftermarket adjustable thermistor and re-attaching the original Dometic one.

I did it. At 5:40 PM temp in fridge was 82°F, in trailer 91°F. Pulled Snip-the-crap out, turned fridge onto shore power, 5 dots.

At 7:30 PM I creeped nervously back to the trailer to check the status. Fridge temp now 64°F, trailer temp 87°F and... NOOOO red blinking light! All is good again.
Attached Thumbnails
thermx.jpg  
Old 07-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Somebody should start a museum of after market devices for Dometic.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Oh well, another Dometic "fix" bites the dust. I notice that the guy with the blue "fridge fix" fan hasn't been around lately either.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #48

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #49

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
The problem is solved.

In speaking to my trailer service guy this afternoon, telling him this tale of woe, he suggested before bringing the trailer in I should try removing that Snip-the-Tip aftermarket adjustable thermistor and re-attaching the original Dometic one.

I did it. At 5:40 PM temp in fridge was 82°F, in trailer 91°F. Pulled Snip-the-crap out, turned fridge onto shore power, 5 dots.

At 7:30 PM I creeped nervously back to the trailer to check the status. Fridge temp now 64°F, trailer temp 87°F and... NOOOO red blinking light! All is good again.
Myron also bought the snip the tip . Didn't install though . Followed Reace advice and try what I did first . I am sure glad I didn't now . Glad your frig is OK now and you don't need service . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:36 AM   #50
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Oh well, another Dometic "fix" bites the dust. I notice that the guy with the blue "fridge fix" fan hasn't been around lately either.
Yup, they made their $ and disappeared.....

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I never order one because I just had a feeling. Glad I didn't or it would be in the pile with the blue fans.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #52

Beware. That snip the tip device is clearly looking like a bogus rip-off, a total scam. Their website claims show many many positive reviews on eBay but my eBay search could not find it for sale there. They say anyone can install it in 5 minutes but include careful disclaimers that negate their responsibility if an "authorized technician" doesn't do the install.

Lesson learned. So call me a sucker.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #53

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Mine works fine. But clearly yours didn't. Sorry 'bout that. You pay your money and take your chances I suppose.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #54

Myron
You owe your "trailer service guy" a dozen doughnuts and some coffee !
Old 07-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This is funny and I appreciate your humor, it is timely. It would be better if we did not have cause to try to make our refrigerators work better.

We should start a survey accounting for the amount of time we spent on our knees and banged our heads (accidently) in the course of installing installation and baffle.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Beware. That snip the tip device is clearly looking like a bogus rip-off, a total scam. Their website claims show many many positive reviews on eBay but my eBay search could not find it for sale there. They say anyone can install it in 5 minutes but include careful disclaimers that negate their responsibility if an "authorized technician" doesn't do the install.

Lesson learned. So call me a sucker.
Sucker, no.......you got a defective device, that can happen. Are you going to contact them for a replacement/refund?
Apparently your fridge is still working fine on 110v. Still find it odd that it worked fine on propane with the snip/clip.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #57

I really hate returning stuff. This morning at 8 am the fridge showed 31 degrees F. I seem to have lost all email correspondence with the snip-seller. Feeling of relief from the problem is so good, am leaning toward accepting my loss, just saying forgetaboudit and moving on.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
[QUOTE=dave1;102274]Sucker, no.......Still find it odd that it worked fine on propane with the snip/clip. ...

Humm, that is interesting. I'd pose that question to the RV fridge tech before I tossed it. On the other hand, if everything's working as it's supposed to now, I might be inclined to let sleeping dogs lie. There are other mods to dream up that require my attention
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I have one of the newer fridges (April, 2015) with the single fan at the bottom. I can see it through the lower access panel. The wires from the fan seem to go up behind the fridge. I would like to put the fan on a separate switch as others have done, but I don't see the thermal switch to bridge across. Do I have to remove the fridge to get to it?

I have been tracking my fridge temps for the last week or so, and will publish soon. We had a day at 100 degrees early this week, and that spiked the fridge to 48 degrees, so I feel I need to do something, but the less I do, the better for me.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #60

Temp stats (all on shore power) for today:
  1. At 8 am fridge was 31°F, Trailer 66°F. Fridge was at 5dots all night. Switch now to 3dots shore power.
  2. At 3 pm fridge temp 41°F, Trailer 93°F. Move it to 5dots shore power
  3. At 4 pm fridge temp 42°F, Trailer 94°F. Noticed fans did come on for 30+ sec. when I was in there taking notes.
  4. At 5 pm fridge temp 42°F, Trailer 92°F.
Well, at least it didn't get up to 50 degrees F. Here's a look at my 45 degree bottom baffle that hides the duplex. Have not reinstalled the wood moldings around fridge front yet because likely to pull it out and do the manual fan control button.
Attached Thumbnails
Baf1.jpg