Recommend digital thermostat for Suburban furnace? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2023, 12:52 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

I found the original thermostat primitive beyond words.

Ron
That it is, but it is simple and it turns the heat on. No plans to replace ours anytime soon.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:03 AM   #22

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I have one very similar to this, probably an earlier model.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH5.../dp/B000GGPMO2

works great. left button just turns on the light so you can read it in the dark. right button toggles the heat on/off. the up/down buttons change the set temperature. I'm using it purely in heater mode, with an Atwood 8012-II furnace, but it does also support air conditioning.

ah, her'es mine

Is this unit a complete substitute for the one which came with the trailer? Wires from the AC go where on the back of the one you provided in the link.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:20 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Is this unit a complete substitute for the one which came with the trailer? Wires from the AC go where on the back of the one you provided in the link.
While this thermostat supports AC, it does not support the way Dometic provides a single thermostat for both Heat & AC. The Dometic system uses an electronic "combiner", a box usually located in the AC. The Dometic thermostat has 3 connections - 12+, 12- & control. The thermostat, combined with the electronics in the AC, determines if you want AC or heat. Again, a standard thermostat, even if it has an AC/Heat switch will not work with the Dometic system.

There is an expensive substitute for the Dometic thermostat - Micro Air's Easy Touch. I have one & like it - easy to read & adjust, shows current temperature, and does both Bluetooth & WiFi.
Old 10-26-2023, 08:38 AM   #24

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While this thermostat supports AC, it does not support the way Dometic provides a single thermostat for both Heat & AC. The Dometic system uses an electronic "combiner", a box usually located in the AC. The Dometic thermostat has 3 connections - 12+, 12- & control. The thermostat, combined with the electronics in the AC, determines if you want AC or heat. Again, a standard thermostat, even if it has an AC/Heat switch will not work with the Dometic system.

There is an expensive substitute for the Dometic thermostat - Micro Air's Easy Touch. I have one & like it - easy to read & adjust, shows current temperature, and does both Bluetooth & WiFi.
Good explanation Jon. I saved notes from you going back a couple of years on a replacement. One of the things I saved was this link to (I'm guessing) the specific model you purchased. Is it?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Good explanation Jon. I saved notes from you going back a couple of years on a replacement. One of the things I saved was this link to (I'm guessing) the specific model you purchased. Is it?
Yes. I did need to do a couple of firmware updates to get it working properly. No idea if it comes with the most current firmware.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by endorice View Post
I have a 2019 17A with heat only. I installed this thermostat after purchasing the camper, and it has been great. While I see that it is no longer available, there's a TH1100DV1000 that is a 2-wire heat only option.
I installed the DV1000 in our 21 NE last year. It works well and is simple to install. Much better than the standard analog thermostat.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:10 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

I have a Coleman something AC that doesn't have any external controls, just the fan/ac mode switch, and a temp knob... I've wondered whether a relay control could be added driven by a home thermostat like I have, but I dunno how I'd get any wires over to the AC without making a mess of the ceiling headliner.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

but I dunno how I'd get any wires over to the AC without making a mess of the ceiling headliner.
It's possible to do. Strangely, the Gen1 E19 didn't have a light over the dinette. 3 lights under the cabinets and shelf but nothing over the table. Kind of strange since the bed also had 3 lights at the sides and a double light right over the bed.

Several of us added a dinette light over the table. It's possible to shove a thin wire along between the f.g. and the foam without disturbing the ceiling liner. Thermostat size wires wouldn't be a problem.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
11-11-2014 4-26-08 PM2 (2)_resize.jpg   12-11-2014 3-04-20 PM1_resize.jpg   12-11-2014 3-24-22 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:56 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's possible to do. Strangely, the Gen1 E19 didn't have a light over the dinette. 3 lights under the cabinets and shelf but nothing over the table. Kind of strange since the bed also had 3 lights at the sides and a double light right over the bed.

Several of us added a dinette light over the table. It's possible to shove a thin wire along between the f.g. and the foam without disturbing the ceiling liner. Thermostat size wires wouldn't be a problem.
would the extra insulation package make this more challenging ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't think so. You can see from the cutout that the Gen1 had reflectix and foam backed vinyl. The wire that I snaked across from the power source in the fan ran between the f.g. and the reflectix. Should work the same on yours.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:36 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
I have a Coleman something AC that doesn't have any external controls, just the fan/ac mode switch, and a temp knob... I've wondered whether a relay control could be added driven by a home thermostat like I have, but I dunno how I'd get any wires over to the AC without making a mess of the ceiling headliner.
The Coleman has two extra options for control
And requires replacing the control module
One is a Bluetooth
The other is thermostat control
Both are assemblies that replace the manual knobs
I’m considering the Bluetooth because it also has a digital temp control built into the assembly

https://coleman-mach.com/products/ceiling-assemblies/
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 04:59 PM   #32

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
With frost advisories started to pop up just to the north of us, I went to Lowe's and bought some pvc bits so I can use the leaf blower to winterize the water lines. Low pressure, high volume.... should work.
FYI, the leaf blower idea did not work. Insufficient air pressure to have any real effect through the skinny water lines.