Refrigerator question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Refrigerator question

This is one of those "I should have written it down" questions. I'm trying to adjust the temperature in our Dometic refrigerator, prior to a weekend outing. I don't recall whether higher dial numbers equal lower temperatures. In other words, if I normally set the temp at 3, will the temperature go down if I turn the dial to 4? Or is it the other way around? Setting the dial to 2 instead will lower the temperature?

Of course, the Dometic manual is of no help. It doesn't even mention the numbers on the temp dial. The manual just says when starting the fridge, turn the dial a quarter turn to the right, with no number reference.

I promise: I will write it down this time.:

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Higher numbers are colder.

You may need to experiment to find the right setting.

If it is cold outside a low setting may be high enough. If it is hot outside even a high setting may not be enough.

We use an electronic indoor-outdoor thermometer with the outdoor remote unit inside the fridge. Don't open the door more than you have to.

In warm weather we found it helps if the side of the trailer with the fridge vents is in the shade.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I have always assumed that the numbers correspond to a higher level of cooling; so the temperature should decrease, eg more cooling, when you go to 4 from 3. My one year's worth of experience supports that, and also reveals variations seemingly related to outside (of fridge) temperatures and power source - DC, AC, or gas.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #4

soultrek, that's exactly the information I needed. That was my vague recollection from last season, i.e., lower numbers equal more cooling, but I wanted to be sure before I cooked our egg salad in the refrigerator. I'm going to label it when I get home. Thanks!

Honda Pilot 2019
Old 06-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quickly, just to make sure, it would be higher numbers = more cooling; which is what I intended to communicate and maybe what you got. Don't need to cook your salad twice! Cheers, Glenn.
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

oops, that's what I meant

Honda Pilot 2019
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaLewis View Post
If it is hot outside even a high setting may not be enough.
I want to see how this ends.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Me too Glenn. My refrigerator has been too warm to sleep in while escaping AC noise this summer.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
Of course, the Dometic manual is of no help. :
I can relate to that.

During a recent review of my Dometic refrigerator operating instructions manual I was looking to find out if my factory installed RM 8551 came with a fan in back. It turns out this manual is for 6 different refrigerators including the RM 8551.

But there was (an addendum?)... Dometic Art. no. 210 6513 97 Date 2008-02-27, titled, RM 8505 UL Forced Air Circulation, included with my packet of manuals. The addendum says, "The refrigerator is equipped with two fans...etc." and shows a picture of the 2 fans in back.

But RM 8505 is not my model. So why did I get this addendum? Does this mean my RM 8551 also has the two fans in back?

Yesterday I emailed this question to Dometic's customer relations department in hopes of getting a little clarity here. Waiting for a response. If Dometic doesn't respond, guess I should ask Escape Industries the question.

Anyone ever pulled out their RM 8551 to find out?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #10

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
refrigerator model

My 6.7 in the 21 is model 8555 and I agree the manual was short on any worthwhile info. I did not pull mine out but there are no fans that are running when cooling unless I count the ones that I installed. In April when we head across Texas we'll find out what helps and if it is enough. It appears that the 5th wheel trailers that have the awning over the fridge seem to have less trouble so I'm bringing some fiberglass tent rods with me that may be used to build a small awning over the fridge inlet. I may need to borrow a tool or two if I think that would help.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
On my 2009 17B, the higher the number the colder it gets. Tammy told me I could put it up to 5 to cool it down quickly, for a bit, but to go back to 3 under temperate conditions. That has worked for me with the 3 cu ft. one. I'm one of the "fridge off" drivers, and after the initial start-up, I can travel with the door closed and it stays cold for quite awhile, unless it is super-hot outside.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #12

Just received a reply from Dometic customer relations.

and I quote...... "...by going by the model and serial number your refrigerator does not have ventilator fans if you can provide us with your mfg. or product number which should start with a 921XXXXXX or 958XXXXXX then we could breakdown your unit further to see if the fans were installed during production or not, generally if they were installed your refrigerator would say for example RML8551R2F. Please advise "
Thanks,
Anthony Rodriguez
Customer Support Center
800 544 4881
edometic.com
Dometic Corp

So it is looking like my Dometic refrigerator does not come with circulating fans in back. The data sheet (found pasted inside bottom rear, behind pull-out tray) clearly states RM 8551. Guess Escape's including that erroneous addendum was due to clerical error. Anyway, I just emailed Mr. Rodriquez with my Prod no info and my thanks, and asked him where I could find the bolts securing the unit to the trailer cabinet.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I wonder if dometic offers a fan kit for the 8551.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For those wishing to install a refer exhaust fan and have the roof exhaust, I recommend this Amazon.com: Camco 42165 Refrigerator Solar Roof Vent System: Automotive
Old 02-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #15

My plan was to install this here quiet computer fan in back but, if dometic has a fan kit I will have to consider that. It probably makes tying into the fridge thermostat easier.

Just read some review comments on that Camco solar 42165. Don't look to me like an option because, a.) I got a huge vent housing already up on the roof, b.) Evidently there are serious issues with product reliability. c.) I hesitate to remove the fridge even one time.
Attached Thumbnails
fan.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #16

Exactly, it is far easier to remove a vent cover than the whole refer.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #17

Well now I just got the following email from Dometic:

"Myron, your product number you provided does have fans installed in back of the refrigerator I show your model being RML8551L2F if you have poor circulation that is probably due to ventilation or the installation. Unfortunately we do not install our refrigerators sometimes the ventilation is overlooked I suggest maybe getting a hold of a service center and have them inspect. If you need assistance locating a dealer you can always
go to our www.edometic.com website select dealer service locator which will bring up a search engine so you can locate a dealer in your area. Below is your parts list of your RML8551L2F."

How about them apples! Mr. R also emailed an 11 page .pdf spare parts manual to me and here is a detail from page 8, clearly illustrating two fans are there.

I must not forget this information was contingent upon knowing the "Product Info number" on the fridge data label and not merely the model number or serial number.
Attached Thumbnails
Fanscan01.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #18

Myron, can you forward these pdf. manual files to the forum so we can all have access? Thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #19

Let's see if this works:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DometRML8551l2f parts Man..pdf (365.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 19. Birthing date June 23
Texas fan

I ordered the "texas fridge fan" as a option. Is that not the solution? Is anyone using that product installed by Escape?
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote