RENOGY Foldable Solar Suitcase Kit 100W Mono Without Charge Controller - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Common vs. Separate Controllers

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
I have a Zamp port installed on my trailer but I think the wires from the Zamp port just hang loose inside the dinette box, if I hook them up to the controller paying attention to get the polarity right, I assume that the rooftop panel and solar panel with then both be charging through the one solar controller; sorry, I'm new to all this solar stuff. if so, maybe I'll get that 100w solar suitcase from Renogy, it does have a good price right now, may come in handy if we go to Quartzite next year.
Yes but...

Your parallel connection to the input of the solar charge controller is correct, but if the voltage output (current doesn't matter in parallel) of attached panels differ, they will all be pulled down to the lower value. This can be caused by the panel design (i.e. speced working voltage) or, any part of any one of the panels being shaded.

If the intent is to have a portable panel in a sunny location because the trailer panels are shaded, separate controllers would work better. The output of both controllers are then connected to the battery. The output of the unshaded panel is then likely to be higher than with a single controller.
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Yes, separate controllers are better if the voltage of the roof panel(s) is different from the ground one, if that’s not the case, and you connect the panels in parallel, shading on one will not affect the other, that’s the main advantage of connecting multiple panels in parallel.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE3 View Post
Yes but...

Your parallel connection to the input of the solar charge controller is correct, but if the voltage output (current doesn't matter in parallel) of attached panels differ, they will all be pulled down to the lower value. This can be caused by the panel design (i.e. speced working voltage) or, any part of any one of the panels being shaded.

If the intent is to have a portable panel in a sunny location because the trailer panels are shaded, separate controllers would work better. The output of both controllers are then connected to the battery. The output of the unshaded panel is then likely to be higher than with a single controller.
Thx for this info, I did not know that you could wire up two separate controllers to the same batteries. I will probably do this way then. You are correct in that I would mainly use the suitcase panels if the rooftop solar is shaded although I could also use the suitcase solar as a supplement during dimmer days.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My two portable solar panels go to a hub, to a controller, to the battery terminals.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:26 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
Quote:
Yes but...

I’m curious how much more charge will you get by having two separate controllers? I ask because I have no idea. Is it like 50% more? 2% more?
AndNeitherDoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
I have a Zamp port installed on my trailer but I think the wires from the Zamp port just hang loose inside the dinette box, if I hook them up to the controller paying attention to get the polarity right, I assume that the rooftop panel and solar panel with then both be charging through the one solar controller; sorry, I'm new to all this solar stuff. if so, maybe I'll get that 100w solar suitcase from Renogy, it does have a good price right now, may come in handy if we go to Quartzite next year.
A Zamp Solar Port can be wired in two options. Either directly to the battery (assumes your portable has a charge controller) or it can be wired directly to an indoor charge controller (the need for controller on portable goes away). That’s when you can use an unregulated portable. Having two charge controllers do the same job can cause conflicts. PM me if you want more information.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMarkH View Post
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this suitcase solar panel. It is on for a good price, in fact the cheapest I have seen for 100w. I have the Zamp port so the version I am looking at has no controller. Also, I know I will need to buy a reverse polarity adapter.

Anyone with experience with this one happy with it? Are there other models or brands I should consider? Looking for only non-controller versions.

Thanks! Mark
After all of the modifications needed to work, are you really saving any money with the Renegy option?
Old 04-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndNeitherDoI View Post
I’m curious how much more charge will you get by having two separate controllers? I ask because I have no idea. Is it like 50% more? 2% more?
CONFLICTS
How do you know what controller is running the show? PM if you want more information.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #29

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
renoge 100 watt suitcase panel

who has this on sale now?
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Yes but...

You are inviting conflicts with two charge controllers doing the same function.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA80 View Post

As noted earlier in this thread, I have two panels. They are connected to a hub which is connected to the controller and controller via alligator clips to the battery terminals.
They are branded 'Coleman'.
Similar to this one pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 10.11.36 AM.jpg  
Old 04-15-2021, 04:31 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
I disagree, you can have multiple charge controllers charging the same battery bank without a problem when talking about a modest RV solar system. If you are running multiple systems capable of pushing very high currents you may run into issues.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #33

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Sorry, but count me in as another who disagrees. I have no problems with two controllers going to our batteries and there are many, many others who also have two controllers going to the same bank.

Quote:
CONFLICTS
How do you know what controller is running the show? PM if you want more information.
Neither controller has to run the show, nor need to run the show either. They both do their job according to how each controller is setup. The battery could care less.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-15-2021, 06:47 PM   #34

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You may or may not need a polarity reverser, depending on how Escape wires them. My suggestion would be to check the polarity of both the solar controller output and the trailer connector. If both are the same, good. If not, I'd reverse the internal connections in the trailer. This is a better long term solution than remembering to add a reversing adapter.
I didn't want to have to remember to include the reversers. That's why I put red tape on the black wire and black tape on the red wire, IOW's I reversed the internal connections.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-16-2021, 12:21 AM   #35

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21 NE, past: Escape 19 (2021)
For those wondering where to get the Renogy solar panel, Amazon.ca has it for a great price. Likely available on the US .com site as well.

Summarizing what I have hearing on this threat I don’t see an issue with two controllers as long as each is wired separately to the battery. The Renogy seems like a decent unit.
Richmond, BC Canada
RMarkH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portable solar, solar kit, solar panel