Replacing Roof Vent Cap - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2023, 09:14 AM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Replacing Roof Vent Cap

Has anyone replaced the factory installed roof vent cap with a Lipport 360?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Since the factory vent was installed somewhat questionable, I replaced it with a Lippert 360.

First, Escape had just stuck the flex hose up through the roof into the vent. It leaked and vent smells accumulated in my wardrobe so it needed to be redone correctly. I removed the old vent and pulled the vent hose out of the ceiling. Pic 1

After cleaning up the old sealant residue, I used a 1 1/4" barbed x 1 1/2" NPT 90 to transition from the hose to the roof pipe. I dressed down the NPT threads so that it fit into a section of 1 1/2" ABS pipe, glued the ABS pipe to the 90, then inserted it into the roof hole. I cut a hole in a piece of 2 x 6 to use to hold the 90 vertical while the sealant that I added on the roof side of the 90 dried so it stayed straight. Pic 2 - wood brace for 1 1/2" pipe in Pic 3

I then glued, using RV adhesive, a short section of 2" ABS over the 1 1/2" extending from the roof. After marking the height I needed for the Lippert 360 with painters tape, I cut the ABS pipe(s) to the required length. Pic 3

With the 2" pipe over the 1 1/2" pipe, the roof stub is very sturdy and seals to the RV roof well.

I installed the Lippert 360 onto the ABS stub using sealant/adhesive and sealed the Lippert flange with self leveling RV roof sealant. Pic 4

It works fine, no more stink in the wardrobe, and should last a long time before i have to replace it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Factory vent pipe.jpg   90 added.jpg   ABS nipple installed.jpg   Vent installed.jpg  
Old 04-29-2023, 12:01 PM   #3

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Good solution. Images helpful. I'll order a Lippert 360 with the caveat that it currently "ain't broke". However, I agree with the engineers who "believe in fixing things before they break". I'll change out the parts after our trip to Newfoundland.

Thanks for the response.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
question, why does Escape have 2 roof vents for black water tank? on my trailer, one is located passenger side front corner, and the other driver side middle of trailer front to back, close to the side.

I have 2018 Escape 21, and have the same smells from time to time in my wardrobe cabinet. I sort of got used to it, but was recently on the roof, noticed the front vent has deteriorated, and needs replacement.

Lippert 360 looks like great solution. thanks tdf for your detail post and pics. however, I'm not sure actually what you did, the 90 degree pipe throws me. may ask some questions later. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:17 PM   #5

Trailer: SOLD: 2005 17A; was waiting on a 2023 21C; found a 2017 21C - YAYAYAYAY!
The vent in the middle is for the grey tank - the vent at the front of the trailer is for the black tank. On our 2017 21C we had the infamous smell in the wardrobe, which we fixed by replacing the grey tank vent and filling in around the tubing at the top of the roof, as what Escape had used at that time would come away from the roof, allowing for the odors from the grey vent to enter back into the wardrobe. We no longer have a smell in the wardrobe!
If you also search the forum, people have brought this issue up and how to replace both vents, if required :-)
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote