Replacing samlex inverter with a Progressive dynamics inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2022, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Replacing samlex inverter with a Progressive dynamics inverter

I think my 8 years old samlex SSW-1500-12A inverter is dead and would like to replace it with a Progressive Dynamics 1800 watts inverter with built in Transfer switch and remote. Attached is a photo of my current inverter setup.
It appears that the existing transfer switch needs to be removed. I like to ask forum members for input before I tack this project. Is it a difficult task? Identifying incoming and outgoing AC wiring appears to be a challenging task. I am not very happy with the samlex product. Otherwise, It would be easier to replace it with the same samlex by switch out the product.

Tonny LR
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6498.jpg  
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
incoming A/C goes through the EMS, then to the AC breaker section of the power center, A/C comes out of the power center and goes to your transfer switch, along with the output of the inverter, the transfer switch in turn feeds the aux breaker panel for the things that are inverter powered.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
incoming A/C goes through the EMS, then to the AC breaker section of the power center, A/C comes out of the power center and goes to your transfer switch, along with the output of the inverter, the transfer switch in turn feeds the aux breaker panel for the things that are inverter powered.
Hi John,
Thank you for the inverter wiring instructions. There are very helpful for getting started. I am in the process of figuring out how to get started. In the converter/charger power center AC side, there are 5 breakers. They are: Main (30amp), converter, HW electric, Air com (20amp) and inverter/plugs (30amp). 4 wires go into the power box. I need to identify what wires go in and what wires needs to come out. The new progressive inverter appears to have simple connections. Incoming AC in and outgoing AC out on the AC side. Positive and negative DC connections on the DC side. I do not have to do anything to the EMS and power center except to identify a wire goes to the Inverter. The out going wire from the inverter goes to the Aux breakers panel. Am I correct?

Tonny LR
Old 11-25-2022, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Hi John,
Attached photo is the Progressive Dynamic inverter I plan to buy. It appears that all I have to do is to remove the samlex inverter and transfer switch. Use the wire going to the removed transfer switch from the power center and connect it to the AC "IN" in the new progressive inverter. Then use a 12 gouge wire from AC out of the new inverter to connect to the Aux sub panel. Please advise if this connection is right?

Tonny LR
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6510.jpg  
Old 11-25-2022, 08:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I installed that same inverter in my 21c last year before I sold it. If the setup you had before was the inverter and all outlets then it will be a simple install. If the samlek was powering one outlet then you’ll be tracing circuits and rerouting some to a sub panel. Plenty of people here with advice. When I did mine however I took advantage of the opportunity to move a few circuits to single breakers rather than having them paralleled. I think the fridge and the converter were on one circuit. I also isolated the microwave to its own circuit. It’s a good time to improve the Ac distribution for sure. The progressive dynamics is an outstanding value and a very good American made inverter. If you call them their tech support is very knowledgeable.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
The swap from your current inverter with separate transfer switch to an inverter with integral transfer switch should be a relatively easy task.

Attached is a schematic of the swap based on your pic as best as I can see it. Please confirm that the depicted 'existing arrangement' is correct by tracing the applicable wires / cables between the devices. DO NOT PROCEED with the following suggested steps if the 'existing arrangement' schematic is incorrect.

REMOVAL STEPS
  1. Unplug your shore power
  2. Label then remove the negative cable from your battery terminal; put the end of the cable in a plastic baggie and position so it cannot contact the battery
  3. Label then remove the positive cable from your battery terminal; put the end of the cable in a plastic baggie and position so it cannot contact the battery (redundant safety step)
  4. Label the (+) and (-) wires then disconnect the DC cable from WFCO at your existing inverter
  5. Unplug the AC-out cable at your existing inverter
  6. Remove existing inverter
  7. Label then disconnect the AC cable from WFCO at your existing transfer switch
  8. Label then disconnect the AC-out cable to subpanel at your existing transfer switch
  9. Remove existing transfer switch complete with the cable that ran to your existing inverter

INSTALLATION STEPS
  1. Find suitable location for new inverter with integral transfer switch and mount
  2. Connect DC cable (+) and (-) wires from WFCO to new inverter DC-in***[see note 1]
  3. Connect AC cable from WFCO to new inverter AC-in***
  4. Connect AC-out to subpanel cable to AC-out on new inverter***
  5. Triple-check all cables and connections
  6. Reconnect positive cable to battery terminal
  7. Reconnect negative cable to battery terminal
  8. Turn on the new inverter and verify items on subpanel 1 through 4 are powered
  9. Turn off the new inverter
  10. Plug into shore power
  11. With new inverter off verify items 1 through 4 on subpanel are powered (inverter pass-through is functioning properly)
***IF any cable is too short to reach the new inverter connections, replace the entire length from device-connection to device-connection with new like-size (or larger gauge) and type cable. Do NOT 'splice' any of these cables / wires to gain length (it might work but is bad practice for a number of good reasons).

[note 1]This is a good opportunity to upgrade the existing DC cable from the WFCO to the new 1800W inverter - check the new inverter recommendations for the proper DC-in cable gauge and replace end-to-end as appropriate.

The above procedure will yield the same shore power and inverter power distribution as your existing setup, you'll just have the benefit of the new inverter with integral transfer switch and its remote control.

I've intentionally omitted reference to the new inverter remote control - connect and install that per the new inverter instructions.

IF you want to change / add to the AC circuits that will be hot when the inverter is on without shore power, please describe exactly what you want to add from among the existing 'shore power only' circuits in your WFCO breaker panel BEFORE making any of the above described changes (that could be a very different project).

Hope that helps at least get you started with the project, Have Fun!
Attached Thumbnails
inverter swap.png  
Old 11-26-2022, 07:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Alan: Very nice of you to provide step-by-step instructions. My only clarification to your write-up and diagram would be that the DC wires feeding the inverter do not interact with the WFCO power center at all. They should be coming directly from the battery terminals express to the inverter input terminals.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Alan: Very nice of you to provide step-by-step instructions. My only clarification to your write-up and diagram would be that the DC wires feeding the inverter do not interact with the WFCO power center at all. They should be coming directly from the battery terminals express to the inverter input terminals.
I concur with your statement. My DC cables + - come directly from batteries to the inverter terminals.

Tonny LR
Old 11-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

I have a 1500 watt inverter and have 2/0 wires from the battery to the inverter and back to the battery. My schematic is in the Removal of Lithium Batteries thread.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-26-2022, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
The swap from your current inverter with separate transfer switch to an inverter with integral transfer switch should be a relatively easy task.

Attached is a schematic of the swap based on your pic as best as I can see it. Please confirm that the depicted 'existing arrangement' is correct by tracing the applicable wires / cables between the devices. DO NOT PROCEED with the following suggested steps if the 'existing arrangement' schematic is incorrect.

REMOVAL STEPS
  1. Unplug your shore power
  2. Label then remove the negative cable from your battery terminal; put the end of the cable in a plastic baggie and position so it cannot contact the battery
  3. Label then remove the positive cable from your battery terminal; put the end of the cable in a plastic baggie and position so it cannot contact the battery (redundant safety step)
  4. Label the (+) and (-) wires then disconnect the DC cable from WFCO at your existing inverter
  5. Unplug the AC-out cable at your existing inverter
  6. Remove existing inverter
  7. Label then disconnect the AC cable from WFCO at your existing transfer switch
  8. Label then disconnect the AC-out cable to subpanel at your existing transfer switch
  9. Remove existing transfer switch complete with the cable that ran to your existing inverter

INSTALLATION STEPS
  1. Find suitable location for new inverter with integral transfer switch and mount
  2. Connect DC cable (+) and (-) wires from WFCO to new inverter DC-in***[see note 1]
  3. Connect AC cable from WFCO to new inverter AC-in***
  4. Connect AC-out to subpanel cable to AC-out on new inverter***
  5. Triple-check all cables and connections
  6. Reconnect positive cable to battery terminal
  7. Reconnect negative cable to battery terminal
  8. Turn on the new inverter and verify items on subpanel 1 through 4 are powered
  9. Turn off the new inverter
  10. Plug into shore power
  11. With new inverter off verify items 1 through 4 on subpanel are powered (inverter pass-through is functioning properly)
***IF any cable is too short to reach the new inverter connections, replace the entire length from device-connection to device-connection with new like-size (or larger gauge) and type cable. Do NOT 'splice' any of these cables / wires to gain length (it might work but is bad practice for a number of good reasons).

[note 1]This is a good opportunity to upgrade the existing DC cable from the WFCO to the new 1800W inverter - check the new inverter recommendations for the proper DC-in cable gauge and replace end-to-end as appropriate.

The above procedure will yield the same shore power and inverter power distribution as your existing setup, you'll just have the benefit of the new inverter with integral transfer switch and its remote control.

I've intentionally omitted reference to the new inverter remote control - connect and install that per the new inverter instructions.

IF you want to change / add to the AC circuits that will be hot when the inverter is on without shore power, please describe exactly what you want to add from among the existing 'shore power only' circuits in your WFCO breaker panel BEFORE making any of the above described changes (that could be a very different project).

Hope that helps at least get you started with the project, Have Fun!
Thank you very much for sharing this detailed write up and diagrams. My inverter set up appears to be very close to your instructions, except DC (+) (-) coming directly from the batteries. your excellent instructions will definitely increase confidence in this upgrade.

Tonny LR
Old 11-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post

I have a 1500 watt inverter and have 2/0 wires from the battery to the inverter and back to the battery. My schematic is in the Removal of Lithium Batteries thread.

Enjoy,

Perry
Thank you for sharing your 1500 watt inverter schematic in removal of Lithium Batteries.

Tonny LR