Rhino blaster for cleaning sewer hose and black/gray tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Water blaster for cleaning sewer hose and black/gray tanks?

Hi all,

Curious if anyone has had experiences with the Camco Rhino Blaster RV Holding Tank Rinser or other similar water blasting products?

As I'm still getting familiar with our 5.0 and how the systems work, would the Rhino blaster be okay to use to clean out our gray and black tanks and sewer hose? I'm aware the black and gray are separate holding tanks with separate valves, but all the waste empties through a single outlet. Because of that and to reduce black water getting into gray tank, I assume I should only have one valve open while I rinse, correct? Some of the videos I watched had both black and gray tanks open when using the Rhino blaster.

We're traveling now, and the only model in stock is the one without the gate valve so we wouldn't be able to fill the tanks completely with the rinser, but I'm wondering if at least spraying water directly into the outlet would clean out the tanks and hose some?

Any other tips/tricks on cleaning the sewer hose and tanks would be appreciated! Thanks!
rootedoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I have used a Flush King for 14 years with good results, it has a gate valve. I am unsure how well a fitting without a gate valve would work as you can’t back fill the tanks unless you hold up the stinky stinky to make the water stay upstream.
Lesson learned for me is make sure someone is watching the tank levels so you don’t overflow out the vents, that was a bad morning...
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've got one similar, the Flush King https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Degr...omotive&sr=1-2

It does a decent job on the tanks although I've only used it when I'm on a site with sewer hookup. It takes a while to rinse with it and I don't want to hog the dump station. To use you hook it up and dump the tanks, then leave the black holding tank valve open and turn on the water jet. Wait for the tank to fill, at least partially, turn off the water and dump. It usually takes a few cycles till the waste water is clear. Then you do the same to the grey. As you can tell, it'd take at least 10 or 15 minutes to do it right.

I do it at the last top on the way home after an extended trip as that's the only time I look for a sewer hookup. If I happen to have sewer while during a trip I'll rinse it if I think about it and think it could use such.

The jet itself doesn't really rinse the sides of the tank, it just fills the tank with clean water. You could do similar with a hose down the toilet, at least on the black tank, if you get a clear elbow.

So yes they work, I have no complaints. Just takes a while.

Never used it for the slinky.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootedoutside View Post
Some of the videos I watched had both black and gray tanks open when using the Rhino blaster.

but I'm wondering if at least spraying water directly into the outlet would clean out the tanks and hose some?

Any other tips/tricks on cleaning the sewer hose and tanks would be appreciated! Thanks!
Yes, we have both the black and gray tank valves open at the same time but only after we've let the black tank drain.

All we've ever done to rinse the tank after it's drained is either pass the hose in the window of the 19 bathroom window, good reason to have a window, or dump a bucket or two of water down the toilet. Never had any reason to do anything more.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 none
I’ve used one similar, make sure you don’t get distracted and overfill the black tank, not a mess I’d want to deal with. I’d only get the one with the gate valve. What I do is once I start filling with the waterline, I set the timer on my phone as a reminder to shut it off and drain it.

The best friend in a black tank is to use plenty of water while flushing.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
If I had one of these devices any time I dumped there would be a long line behind me!
Old 08-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
They do take time to use.

I am lucky in that there are three free dump stations within 2 miles of my house and only about 3,500 people so I am rarely rushed. Once someone pulled in behind me as I was getting started so I disconnected and let them go first.

To make life easier, I installed a quick hook up, exterior tank monitor system so I don’t have to rely on the interior monitor or a helper to keep track of water levels. Here is the link. It is still working fine after 12 years.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tor-34317.html
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Black tank back install

Will ETI install a black tank back flush connection?
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Will ETI install a black tank back flush connection?
Unless they have made a recent change, no.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Unless they have made a recent change, no.
I will check otherwise do it myself.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:09 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Hit the ends of the fittings with your Dremel and it will fit just fine.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootedoutside View Post
Hi all,

Curious if anyone has had experiences with the Camco Rhino Blaster RV Holding Tank Rinser or other similar water blasting products?

As I'm still getting familiar with our 5.0 and how the systems work, would the Rhino blaster be okay to use to clean out our gray and black tanks and sewer hose? I'm aware the black and gray are separate holding tanks with separate valves, but all the waste empties through a single outlet. Because of that and to reduce black water getting into gray tank, I assume I should only have one valve open while I rinse, correct? Some of the videos I watched had both black and gray tanks open when using the Rhino blaster.

We're traveling now, and the only model in stock is the one without the gate valve so we wouldn't be able to fill the tanks completely with the rinser, but I'm wondering if at least spraying water directly into the outlet would clean out the tanks and hose some?

It is a waste water system, it is not meant to be 'clean'.

Dump your black tank close the valve, then dump your grey tank close the valve.

Disconnect your hose from the trailer, use the NOT-potable water hose at the dump station to rinse out your dump hose, then put it away,

The only thing you have to worry about is you have enough fluid mixed with the solids in your black tank to carry the solids out of the tank when you dump it. If you have full hookups with on site sewage. Do NOT leave your dump valves open. Wait until your black tank is at least 3/4 full or you're ready to leave to dump your black tank. RV toilets don't use enough water to flush fecal matter out of the toilet each flush. So you need to have the tank filled with both liquids and solids, so when you dump there is enough liquids to carry the solid waste out of the tank.

People get way too hung up on 'cleaning' their waste systems.

Just because some company sells something, doesn't mean you need it. Just like the recent ads for special soap to clean out the drain pipes on your dishwasher? SMH
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

Disconnect your hose from the trailer, use the NOT-potable water hose at the dump station to rinse out your dump hose, then put it away,

The only thing you have to worry about is you have enough fluid mixed with the solids in your black tank to carry the solids out of the tank when you dump it. If you have full hookups with on site sewage. Do NOT leave your dump valves open. Wait until your black tank is at least 3/4 full or you're ready to leave to dump your black tank. RV toilets don't use enough water to flush fecal matter out of the toilet each flush. So you need to have the tank filled with both liquids and solids, so when you dump there is enough liquids to carry the solid waste out of the tank.

Just because some company sells something, doesn't mean you need it. Just like the recent ads for special soap to clean out the drain pipes on your dishwasher? SMH
The first two times we do dishes on each trip, and after each black tank dump, we dump both the wash and rinse water in the toilet. That assures there is adequate water in the black tank. If any tank fills it is usually the grey tank, so this helps out both tanks at once.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #14

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

When not camping away from Lanesboro, our camper sits at a seasonal site eight-tenths of a mile from our condo. Unbelievable the number of campers that have their valves open all the time. I know they're not going to the campground facilities to do their daily duties. We're the last seasonal next to the first daily site. Before leaving for a camping trip, a number of campers have asked me why we don't keep our valves open all the time. For a couple it was a real eye-opener, and I'll bet they will never leave their valves open again. OTOH, a couple have looked at me like I'm FOS and walk away. Can't fix stupid!

I don't understand this obsession with cleaning the grey and black water tanks either. OCD perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
The first two times we do dishes on each trip, and after each black tank dump, we dump both the wash and rinse water in the toilet. That assures there is adequate water in the black tank. If any tank fills it is usually the grey tank, so this helps out both tanks at once.

Since the fresh water tank on our 5.0 is 28 gallons and the grey is also 28 gallons, we'll never fill our grey tank, especially if we flush a couple of times.

We dump all the dish wash water down the toilet, and nine campers later (with black water tanks) have never needed to wash the black tank (much less the grey). We ALWAYS pour at least a gallon of water down the black tank before using so there is water to accept our Odorless. Terry and I use the campground facilities whenever possible (with Terry they must meet her cleanliness requirement). We mainly use our camper toilet at night, or when the walk is just too far. We've never filled a black tank and have learned how to conserve our water.

We had one camper (90's Aerolite) that had a large fresh water tank, but a small grey water tank. On one of our first trips I was taking a shower and found myself standing in grey water at the end of the shower. Our 95 (?) Jayco 28' fifth wheel had 70 gallon fresh, 70 gallon black, and two (one at each end) 70 gallon grey tanks. That was luxury!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I used the Flush King, pretty much the same as the Rhino Blaster, which didn't exist back then. Used it only when I had full hookups which is maybe twice a year. I thought it was worth doing. A few flushes seemed to clear everything out.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
The best thing I would recommend is a black tank treatment that liquefies solids. The ones I'm familiar with are Odorlos and Happy Campers. Don't waste time with the blue liquid stuff. As others have mentioned, make sure you have adequate liquid in your black tank, and these treatments will work. In 2 years I have never felt the need to wash out the black tank, other than dumping a couple of gallons of fresh water into it after dumping, with the valve open, to rinse it out.

Once emptied and rinsed, I close the valve, add a gallon of water and a new scoop of Odorlos. That's it. I've never had any trouble following this routine, never noticed any odors, never had anything get stuck in the slinky, and not had the black tank sensor malfunction because it was fouled with something.

My gray tank, on the other hand, has gotten stinky, and I've noticed solid, filamentous grotosketies exiting the tank when dumping. Ewww. Since noticing the problem, I've been meticulous about preventing any food particles from going down the drain. I also periodically dump a tablespoon or so of liquid bleach down the drain. I don't let the tank sit for long time with anything in it and make sure it's completely drained before winterizing. I've had no trouble since starting this routine.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I also periodically dump a tablespoon or so of liquid bleach down the drain. I don't let the tank sit for long time with anything in it and make sure it's completely drained before winterizing. I've had no trouble since starting this routine.
Bleach is hard on rubber and the valves. Instead of bleach use the same stuff you're using in the black water tank: Odorlos or Happy Camper. Doesn't take much.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote