Running Air Conditioner without electricity? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One can now purchase 12v operated swamp coolers that will do a fairly nice job at night using cold water or ice.
Interesting....usually the only reason I need air con here is to cut the humidity not add to it!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
One can now purchase 12v operated swamp coolers that will do a fairly nice job at night using cold water or ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Interesting....usually the only reason I need air con here is to cut the humidity not add to it!
Good point: evaporative or "swamp" coolers work by adding moisture which evaporates, absorbing heat in the process. They only need energy for the fan, so they don't use much power. They work well in hot and dry conditions, but poorly in hot and humid conditions. They make your space swampy; they're not suitable for use in a swamp.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good point: evaporative or "swamp" coolers work by adding moisture which evaporates, absorbing heat in the process. They only need energy for the fan, so they don't use much power. They work well in hot and dry conditions, but poorly in hot and humid conditions. They make your space swampy; they're not suitable for use in a swamp.
And on a completely irrelevant note, (although its interesting to me) I grew up in northern Utah, where almost all the homes, including ours, had a swamp cooler. Almost nobody we knew had air conditioning in their home. The air was so dry there that a swamp cooler worked very well, and they were inexpensive to operate. Go back there nowadays and everyone has central air, and a swamp cooler is actually illegal. Don't ask me why.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #44

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
swamp cooler

Our son has one of the 12V units and loves it, of course he is in Phoenix. He sets it on the pax seat if the car or truck does not have air.
25 years ago our contractor said if he installed one and the A/C too we would not use the swamp, we only took the A/C and had the house prepped for the swamp. After 25 years we just have the A/C and no swamp cooler. We have replaced the A/C once in that time as I don't want it to fail while we are gone.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My first camper did not have a/c and I purchased and still have a setup called "Cooler-Air" with a 12v fan blowing air into a cooler filled with ice. It enabled us to sleep at night when it was muggy and hot. they now make USB mini units that I'm going to experiment with. A cup of ice should last 4 hours, enough to allow one to fall asleep. I grew up without a/c and do not like the idea of barricading oneself inside to escape hot weather with air conditioning, particularly while "camping outdoors". That's my story and I'm sticking to it.........
Old 06-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbalbas View Post
Hello,
I am thinking of purchasing a generator to run AC, however I am not sure what size or how many WATS it should be. Please share your knowledge and let me know what generator will work best.

Ditto what Ian says, 2200 and up. Do pay attention to the weight and run time of the fuel tank. I'd go for an Inverter generator, throttles the speed to match the load instead of just running full bore. Better on gas and somewhat quieter.

I don't know about other folks but my generator is also used at home in emergencies.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #47

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Unless you're in an arid desert, that will ruin your trailer with mold issues. Getting moisture out of a trailer is a big enough issue, without intentionally adding more with a mini swamp cooler.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Go back there nowadays and everyone has central air, and a swamp cooler is actually illegal. Don't ask me why.
It may be that they are banned because they tend to grow mould.

Hmm... after posting this, I realized that TTMartin identified the same issue.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #49

Quote:
My first camper did not have a/c and I purchased and still have a setup called "Cooler-Air" with a 12v fan blowing air into a cooler filled with ice. It enabled us to sleep at night when it was muggy and hot. they now make USB mini units that I'm going to experiment with. A cup of ice should last 4 hours, enough to allow one to fall asleep.
A small RV air conditioner tends to run about 9,000 BTU/hour of cooling capacity, which is 10 megajoules per hour. At 336 kJ/kg to melt ice, that much cooling would take three kilograms (7 pounds) of ice per hour (if I got the numbers right)... which is why any significant amount of cooling is never done with ice. Of course the ice setup is also an evaporative ("swamp") cooler, as well as using the cooling effect of melting ice.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Try just melting 63 lbs. of ice to water @ 32°F.:
63 lbs. of ice x 143 Btu/lb.(heat of fusion) = 9009 Btu.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It may be that they are banned because they tend to grow mould.

Hmm... after posting this, I realized that TTMartin identified the same issue.
Not to say we didn't have mold in them back then, but I never noticed any. We did have alot of mineral buildup because the water in northern Utah is notoriously hard. Had to replace some of the drip lines and sometimes the mesh material on the sidewalls every couple of years.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #52

I do not think mold is prevalent with sporadic use of a container of ice with a fan flowing over it. It works to cool down and enables sleep. No more moisture than what is in the air at 90% humidity which is common now for the next 90 days. Hookups is good with a/c, but without hookups I'm using the old fashioned way and it works. I use the ice for beer and cooling....dual purpose. If the cooler is modern the ice can last all weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
OIP.eGVe-Nhdrg9YjY-D600DJAHaDv.jpeg  
Old 06-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Our night time lows have been in the 40’s & 50’s - daytime highs in the 70’s
Summer is here !!!
Perfect temperature for me.

Just as we need to head way south in the winter to use our trailer, if I lived in the deep south I would be heading north to camp in the hot summer. While there is beautiful country down south, those temps are just a no go for this Canucklehead.

Sure glad I don't need a genset, though there are still some that run them up here, even when temps are cool. Kinda bothersome as I am not used to have them around when camping, but if it is legal I cannot stop them. Fortunately most provincial campgrounds now have two 2 hr time slots a day where they are allowed to use them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #54

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Fortunately most provincial campgrounds now have two 2 hr time slots a day where they are allowed to use them.
Not at the prov. park where I took the grandkids near home this past week, one overnight when it only went down to 23C, was 32 in the day. We were on the lake without power. Just down from us was a big motorhome which I was surprised to see in that part of the campground which is totally grass and trees without marked parking areas for campers. They ran the gen set on their unit the whole time there. Fortunately it was just a low rumble and a distance from us. I walked through their site after they left, there was a big black circle of burnt out grass. There was also ruts in the grass from their tires. Not nice!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #55

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Some of those onboard generators the big rigs have are pretty obnoxious. It's like parking next to a semi at WM for the night.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Some of those onboard generators the big rigs have are pretty obnoxious. It's like parking next to a semi at WM for the night.
As are some of the smaller generators in Class Bs. We parked next to one at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta & it sounded like a lawn mower - they ran it 8:00AM til 10:00PM. No idea why they didn't run out of gas...
Old 06-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
As are some of the smaller generators in Class Bs. We parked next to one at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta & it sounded like a lawn mower - they ran it 8:00AM til 10:00PM. No idea why they didn't run out of gas...
A built-in generator in a motorhome is usually connected to the same fuel tank as the motorhome's engine, so there is fuel for many hours of operation.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:41 AM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Even with a big battery bank, AC is pretty limited. I've got 500Ah of Lithium and can probably run about 3 hours a day of AC. Enough to take the edge off before sleep or something, but not enough to leave it on overnight. 360W of solar refilled about an hour's worth of AC per day.

A mini-split would do somewhat better. The roof ACs aren't particularly efficient.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:35 AM   #59

A mini-split would do somewhat better. The roof ACs aren't particularly efficient.

I agree, residential split systems are so much better all around for quiet and efficiency. What is now available in rv's is best bang for the buck, not for the consumer but for the manufacturer.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I have 2 Honda gens I link together, one's 2000, other newer 2200, with extended run tanks. works fairly well but have issues with alum caps used with extended run tanks. hard to find cap that properly matches the Honda threads to pull a good seal. I use plastic grocery bags to make a work around gasket that works well most of the time. as I understand it, I'm getting 30 amps just like at the campground. I like having 2 since they are approx 50#'s each and easy enough to move around.

from time to time one gen will go off, and the remaining one will still run the a/c, but it really struggles, compared to having both. inside the trailer with the a/c running, I can't hear the generators. even with a/c on auto, so the fan turns off and back on again when the compressor starts up, the gen's don't bother me when the fan is off.

I have never used them for actual camping, just for hanging out where I store the trailer. when camping I go north and higher elevation in summer, south in winter. on the way out of TX, I use campgrounds that have elect, so I can stay cool at night. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1399 (1).JPG  
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote