Running Air Conditioner without electricity? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #61

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I have 2 Honda gens I link together,.....

I have never used them for actual camping, just for hanging out where I store the trailer. when camping I go north and higher elevation in summer, south in winter. on the way out of TX, I use campgrounds that have elect, so I can stay cool at night. Cheers
Texas summers!!! I sold my home and bought a 17B last October with a plan to spend each winter with my daughter in Houston. I'm originally from NC and have family and friends there, that's where I'll head ASAP, but I'd deeply appreciate knowing where you go and what routes you take to escape the heat. PM me if you like. Thanks!!!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #62

It never occurred to me that generators could run on propane, but I just ran across this and was wondering if would do the trick, and if so for how long.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 06-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #63
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
It never occurred to me that generators could run on propane, but I just ran across this and was wondering if would do the trick, and if so for how long.
Hi Ava, At a glance, this unit looks nice and has a run time equal to 10 hours at 50% load per 20 lb. of LPG fuel but I see it weighs 102 lbs - heavy. I would prefer 2 smaller units in parallel to save my back. It is also not recommended at altitudes above 3000 ft - not good for mountain use. Also not CARB compliant, so not able to be purchased in CA and some other states...

We have a duel fuel generator that runs on both LPG and gasoline and can also be run in parallel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Champion-Po...-/153636978642

We rarely use a generator but nice to have for emergencies. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That Sportsman unit will go thru a 20 lb tank of propane per day, expensive ro operate also...
Old 06-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Along with the heavy weight, that is not an inverter generator. It will be very loud, running at 3600 RPM no matter what the load.

Sportsman does make a propane/gasoline generator. I have a 2200/1800 watt 47 pound propane inverter generator. It is very quiet unless under full load, and under low demand, uses a reasonable amount of propane. The only problem I've had with it is it is somewhat difficult to start, at least compared to my Ryobi 900 watt propane generator.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #66

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
It never occurred to me that generators could run on propane, ............

We have a Honda 2200i, and a Hutch Mountain propane/natural gas kit for it, so we can run gasoline (never), natural gas (at our home for emergencies), and propane.
Attached Thumbnails
gen 5.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #67

Looks like I need to plan on electrical hookups in the heat of summer until I’m out of the deep South! Thanks for the advice/information Bea, Jim, Jon, Don, and Teresa! 🔥🔥🔥

Old 06-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #68

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We always try for hookups when needing to use a/c and when it is below freezing, Otherwise we do not need hookups the rest of the time.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #69

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
getting out of TX heat, I try to travel during the hottest part of the day in my comfy a/c cooled tow. I don't like to travel very far anymore, so takes me 3 days or more to get to a cooler location in NM or CO. in hot weather, I have found it to be very pleasant until approx 10 or 11am, and in the evenging starting approx 6 to 7pm. it's all relative, but when it's over 100 and it gets down to low 80's it's not bad IMO. I leave approx 12noon, latest checkout time, and arrive next stop approx 5pm. I find my spot, plug into shore power, and start the a/c. I stay in the trailer, nice and cool, until it gets nice a few hours later. works for me. if interested, I have a few "war stories" to tell, but don't want to bore anyone.

check out map TX State Parks, and pick your route. recently, TX opened their state parks, so I planned a trip to NM for some dispersed camping in the mountains. I've never done dispersed camping in NM where I plan to go, I normally like to go to CO. I haven't checked CO, but NM state parks are closed, however, dispersed camping is available some NM areas until it changes lols.

it's going to be an adventure. I had my TX reservations all set, then got email one of the parks is closing for 14 day quarantine. so that blew up my plans. I may not go now, still working on plan B, plus realized things are subject to change with absolutely no notice. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #70

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
about running gens on propane. I did a fair amount of research and concluded bad idea for my situation. I did learn that propane is very stable and is the go to fuel for emergency generators. the normal gas/ diesel generators used for emergency power, unless checked regularly, will not run when you need them because the fuel has gone bad.

as mentioned above, propane is not as efficient, so takes more, is more expensive, more trouble to get additional propane compared to the nearest gas station, etc. if just using gen to charge your battery maybe good idea, if running a gen for a/c, forget it IMO. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #71

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've switched to Aspen gasoline for my generator. It's pricey, but not as expensive as having your carb cleaned.
Pic is of bowl from my Honda generator before it had a sonic clean. Gas I used had water in it.

Is it true that alkylate petrol keeps much longer than regular petrol?

Yes, that is correct. Aspen Alkylate Petrol has a lifespan of approximately 10 times that of regular petrol. Aspen has a storage life of 3-5 years compared to 3-5 months for regular petrol.
When you choose alkylate petrol, you can safely store your machines for long periods without emptying the tank – knowing that they will start without a problem when you need to use them again.
Attached Thumbnails
Carb Honda.jpg  
Old 07-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #72

Trailer: 2018 21
I've never run my 3 year old Honda on gas other than a 4 hour break-in run.
The carb is spotless. Oil changes at 100 hour intervals even tho the oil looks new.
Power reduction isn't noticeable unless you're above 10k.
Also no gas cans to carry along. Just plug into the camper.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote