running generator with solar - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
running generator with solar

Again I have not picked up yet, but was wondering if I can run a generator for the dometic a/c on the 17B, and run all the other electric off the solar. One lithium, one panel. Thanks Stan
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
All the 12V stuff (lights, furnace, refrigerator, even on propane, etc) run off 12V circuits that are powered by both the battery & the converter all at the same time. When you connect to a generator (or campground pedestal) the 120V circuits (receptacles, microwave, AC, refrigerator on 120V, water heater if you have the 120V option, and converter are powered by the generator or pedestal connection. If you have a limited amount of power (for example, a 2000 watt generator, you can shut off the breaker or outside switch to the water heater.

With a lithium battery, the converter will draw quite a bit of the generator's capacity until the battery is almost full - you may not be able to run both the AC & converter at the same time.

The solar panel will charge the battery at the same time as the converter. You cannot easily separate the two sources, although if the converter is on a separate circuit breaker, you could shut off the converter and let the solar do all the charging while the AC would run via the generator.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.stang View Post
Again I have not picked up yet, but was wondering if I can run a generator for the dometic a/c on the 17B, and run all the other electric off the solar. One lithium, one panel. Thanks Stan
Solar and the converter charges the batteries.

12 volt things run off the batteries. (simplified)

If your batteries need charging, you may find the extra load charging the batteries may be enough to keep the generator from having enough power to run the air conditioner. I rewired my trailer so the converter is on its own breaker and can be turned off That way if I want to run the air conditioner off the generator, I can choose not to charge the batteries with the converter.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
Ok, so from the factory the answer is no, until the battery is charged as the ac current will be on demand. From a 50% discharge, how long does it usually take to charge? Thanks Stan
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.stang View Post
Ok, so from the factory the answer is no, until the battery is charged as the ac current will be on demand. From a 50% discharge, how long does it usually take to charge? Thanks Stan
The standard WFCO 55 amp converter used by Escape, if it goes into bulk mode like it should when the battery is at 50%, will draw the entire amount other than what the rest of the trailer is using. Once the lithium battery hits 98% or so, the converter should drop down to the absorption stage where it will slowly top off the battery.

From 50% with a 100 amp hour battery, it should reach the 98% level in a little over an hour, then spend around 1/2 hour balancing the cells in the battery (in the absorption stage). Again, this is if the WFCO converter does what it is suppose to. The lead acid rarely went into the bulk stage, but I have no experience with the lithium version. If you can believe the specifications in their manual, the 60/55 amp WFCO converter draws 12 amps at full load.

Again, even at 50%, you could shut off the converter & use just the battery (and solar) to power the 12V side of the trailer until the AC cools off the trailer to a comfortable level.

I don't know that they still do it, but my 2017 21C came with the converter & refrigerator on the same breaker. I moved the converter to its own breaker so I could turn it off when necessary.