RV drinking water hose - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
RV drinking water hose

As I contemplate and procrastinate flushing my water systems I wondered if I really have to get out my RV drinking water hose for this purpose. It would be so much easier to just use my garden hose, which is already hooked up.
Did a Google and only thing I could find was that one drinking water hose was guaranteed "lead free". Which doesn't mean that there is lead in my garden hose.
Anyone have learned information as to why we carry special hoses for drinking water? It's not like the water sits in the hose for any length of time.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yard hoses may be so old and have sat around in the yard and been connected to many things, not likely to be as clean, at least not ours.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I have always just let the garden hose run for 5 minutes or so (watering the garden) then fill the water tank. We use the water for everything including drinking... so far so good.

Cheers
Doug
Old 03-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
My wife would say the garden hose water tastes like plastic. So, to keep the peace I'd pull out the RV fresh water hose with filter. If it was just I, I'd not have a problem with the garden hose. Your mileage may vary.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Usually can taste plastic if I take shortcuts like that Glenn.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Good. Got what I wanted to hear. I can't taste anything having smoked for 45 years ( quit five years ago ).
Old 03-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Regular garden hoses are made with materials that are hazardous to your health. Not to mention the "yuck" that can grow in them while they are coiled up or on the ground.

I won't even fill up the dog's water bowl with the garden hose.

Taking the extra time to get out the correct hose will "save" you in the long term. Having to flush out your tank again and or getting the running "trots" would not be fun!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Good. Got what I wanted to hear. I can't taste anything having smoked for 45 years ( quit five years ago ).

Make sure the hose runs for awhile, I sure wouldn't want water that has been sitting in the hose for days or weeks in my tank.

Cheers
Doug

ps: my taste buds haven't worked properly since I discovered I love horseradish.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
I would just as soon not take chances so I use the trailer hose and filter, drain and screw the ends together when done. Just had the water test done on the well, county had a grant so no cost to us, and was happy with 0 coliform and less than 1 on nitrates/nitrites which can be a problem in farm country. In the house, replaced filters on the reverse osmosis system last week and put in a new softener. I've drank bad water and the results aren't good.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
Regular garden hoses are made with materials that are hazardous to your health. Not to mention the "yuck" that can grow in them while they are coiled up or on the ground.

Taking the extra time to get out the correct hose will "save" you in the long term. Having to flush out your tank again and or getting the running "trots" would not be fun!
Saw a nice setup on the internet which includes hose, stub hose, regulator and filter. Kind of at the top of the to buy list. Having to hang close by the biffy on vacation is no fun. Speaking from experience. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Second thought. I also have a hard time refilling my water tank at the dump station even though the hose is marked potable water. Would rather fill in the campground than 50 feet from the black/grey water dump site. Maybe it's just me.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
ps: my taste buds haven't worked properly since I discovered I love horseradish.

BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post

I hear ya, but then I remember those hot summer days as a child and all of the neighborhood kids (including me) always drinking from the garden hose. We lived to tell about it.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I hear ya, but then I remember those hot summer days as a child and all of the neighborhood kids (including me) always drinking from the garden hose. We lived to tell about it.
Yup, and I still do. And I fill up the fresh water tank with it, too. But everyone has their own level of comfort. I just guess mine is pretty high...or do I mean low?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Yup, and I still do. And I fill up the fresh water tank with it, too. But everyone has their own level of comfort. I just guess mine is pretty high...or do I mean low?
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
I also have a hard time refilling my water tank at the dump station even though the hose is marked potable water. Would rather fill in the campground than 50 feet from the black/grey water dump site. Maybe it's just me.
I get that - I have the same concern. On the other hand, do you brush your teeth with water at the sink in the bathroom of your home, a couple feet from the toilet?

I think the only real problem is that some other camper will use the fresh water hose as a sewer rinse water supply, even though a separate hose is usually provided for that purpose.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Another that uses the garden hose. Might be the reason my wife insists on bottled water for consumption. Definitely 2 different levels of comfort in this trailer.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Well, if this makes you a low life, then I am right there with you.

I have never, as a kid or an adult, ever worried about using a garden hose for drinking from, and have never had issue. I think a large part of society is worrying more, and more, about this kinda thing.

Now, if it was old and rough looking, I would not likely use it, unless it was my only way to get water, and then like Doug said, just run it for a bit.

I do use a good quality white hose in the trailer, and like the white, as I can easily see if I got it clean when putting it away.

I have only twice in 6 years sanitized my water system, right after picking it up to rid it of that new plastic taste, and the second time a couple years ago, because I thought maybe I should. We have never had any bad taste in the water system, though our Calgary water on our side or town, is very good. If I have hooked to the fresh water in a campground, and there is any hint of badness with the water, I will rinse the system with clean water at home, albeit through my regular garden hose.

My name is Jim, and I a a garden hose rebel.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #19

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Water hoses

I sanitize and flush very well at least once a year and only use one hose to fill or connect with a filter plus the filter under the sink on cold water side. Each morning when I drink my cup or two of water I don't want to taste the water like I can in some parts of the country. I just make sure to remove all of the bleach out of the system before Nancy washes her hair, did that ever upset her the one time when she had the purex odor after using the freshly flushed tanks. Airplanes flush and sanitize their tanks regularly and at times they need to do a few extra flushes to get the taste out, it makes terrible coffee.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My name is Jim, and I a a garden hose rebel.