?s regarding solar/power generators - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2023, 09:48 PM   #21

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Perry I see your shutting your trailer charger off and letting the solar do the work. how do you do this? did you install I switch in the converter charging line? or are you just leaving converter not powered? thanks
I merely disconnected the two 40 amp fuses from the power converter. All our DC power then came from the batteries. However, after installing an additonal 300 watts to our roof, the lack of charger truly became a moot point.

I also don't see a need for a DC-DC charger, even though I have a Victron 30 ah DC-DC charger that I was going to use, in reverse, for a voltage regulator. Our F150 has a smart alternator that senses the lithium needs and only provides 2-4 ah's when driving so the wires won't burn out. I understand some trucks have dumb alternators and can fry the wires, but that may only be some older trucks.

We're currently getting by with the 160 watts on the roof and the 100 watt portable, but I find portables a PITA. I'll be adding two 200 watt 24v Rich solar panels when we get home in April. They arrived at our condo a week ago.

We stick money in rooftop panels, so AC charging or a DC-DC controller is not needed. Obviously, I march to a different durmmer.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-11-2023, 06:20 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
I merely disconnected the two 40 amp fuses from the power converter. All our DC power then came from the batteries. However, after installing an additonal 300 watts to our roof, the lack of charger truly became a moot point.

I also don't see a need for a DC-DC charger, even though I have a Victron 30 ah DC-DC charger that I was going to use, in reverse, for a voltage regulator. Our F150 has a smart alternator that senses the lithium needs and only provides 2-4 ah's when driving so the wires won't burn out. I understand some trucks have dumb alternators and can fry the wires, but that may only be some older trucks.

We're currently getting by with the 160 watts on the roof and the 100 watt portable, but I find portables a PITA. I'll be adding two 200 watt 24v Rich solar panels when we get home in April. They arrived at our condo a week ago.

We stick money in rooftop panels, so AC charging or a DC-DC controller is not needed. Obviously, I march to a different durmmer.

Enjoy,

Perry
I also am not a big fan of portables panels. we move often and less set up is better.
Hmm I wonder if my truck has a smart alternator. It's a 2022 F150 so I would think so. I will have to try to find out. If i understand the lithium correctly using the stock converter would not hurt anything. It would just not fully charge the batteries and my solar would charge the rest. we are not on hook ups two often. I rather not upgrade my converter if I don't have to when I switch to lithium.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:38 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Vogel View Post
It does seem replacing your 6V batteries is the most cost effective solution for you. I second HABBERDABBER's advice to get premium quality batteries. I can vouch for Trojan batteries, I've had fantastic service from them. They are worth the extra dollars.
Our two flooded lead-acid batteries in our 2019 are still OK, I think. When it comes time to replace them, I'm wondering whether AGMs would be a better solution (limited needs: just use the inverter for coffee maker and microwave; main 12V drain is furnace fan). How do AGMs measure up vs. good-quality floodeds?
Old 03-11-2023, 08:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Do your due diligence, but these devices have been around for years, models change all the time, manufacturers come and go. When you decide to pop for one, go with lithium ion rechargeable battery power/storage source. Mine is so old, it uses a lead acid AGM.

Goal Zero is my recommendation to look at. They've been offering innovative gear for quite a while, well designed and constructed, and not cheap. I have NO affiliation with them, just some knowledge of their gear.

https://www.goalzero.com

Bon chance,
I would choose LiFePO4 over lithium ion. Much longer life and less chance of fire.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
If i understand the lithium correctly using the stock converter would not hurt anything. It would just not fully charge the batteries and my solar would charge the rest. we are not on hook ups two often.
We're currently on day 11 without hookups and rarely have hookups. Our 160 panel on the roof and the 100 watt portable are charging our batteries to 80-100% every day.

I don't waste my money on some of the items used here (but have certainly wasted it elsewhere). However, first that money is put into more solar on the roof and once installed it just plain works, with no muss or fuss. One of the best things we did was adding 300 watts to the roof of our 5.0, giving us 463 watts.

If you have adequate solar (+300 watts) you don't need a lithium specific charger or a DC-DC controller. Getting your batteries to 80% most of the time is fine you just let your solar finish the job (100%) the rest of the time. OTOH, if you want more than a camper, you can create an Escape moblie home, like Johnny Hung, to brag about. Somebody has to do it though.

The 16,000 btu input Dometic furnace in our Bigfoot is a pig and takes well over 7 ah's when running, vs the same, but smaller (12,000 btu) Dometic furnace in our 5.0 that took around 4 ah's when running. Plus, it's been below 32F every morning but 2 for over a month now, till last night when it only got to 42F. According to the National Weather Service we get one more night above freezing and then back to below freezing for the forseeable future here in New Mexico and northern Arizona. We've gone through more LP this winter than the last 3-4 winters combined. This too will pass!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-19-2023, 06:24 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
UpDate on the baattery situation:

Replaced the original 6v batteries with another set of Interstate 6v/225 aH batteries. The original batteries were marked 12/15 so they did well.

Rewired the external 100w solar panel to plug into the exterior Zamp connector.

A week of battery use under mild to heavy marine layer days along the central coast of California using the microwave, television, furnace blower and coffee maker at different times with the added solar panel works well. The batteries are back to 100% by late afternoon.

Microwave still makes the inverter chirp unless I run it at 50%, then no problem (RCA ETI supplied - states 1050w start up and 700w run).

Started using a 300w 12v inverter plugged into the 12v receptacles to charge my camera batteries and that has worked out well with the extra solar panel keeping everything topped off. That way I don't have to power up the onboard inverter.

cheers
Old 05-19-2023, 07:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
It's really weird reading the same posts as from old people.

Sorry, I had to make jest.

BRAVO that all works well. I too replaced my vintage 6V's this Spring. The old ones worked, just not as long.
And so it goes.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:23 PM   #28

Don't forget:

Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

- David Mamet

Been there, done that, don't need wifi or REI to survive.

cheers
Old 07-30-2023, 10:43 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
We have a 2016 E19; batteries are starting to show their age while using the inverter to run the microwave.

Reading the various posts on "upgrading" to Lipo, etc I do not want the expense to change/convert the charger or other items to simply to use the Lipo batteries.

I will replace the two 6v batteries but am curious as to how well the advertised "power station/solar generator" are working with folks who are using them.

We dry camp for 2-4 days and shore power 2-3 days No CPAP needs. Most of our camping is not in the hot months in Central California/high desert so no need for continuous A/C use, but there have been some 'hot' days. We would use the microwave and the coffee maker (550w) in the morning.

Any thoughts on a unit that is worth considering?

Weight limit: less than 60 pounds.

thanks
I held off on answering this until I was sure what I wanted to say.

I have the Bluetti AC180. This is a very new 1,152WH solar generator. 1,800 watt inverter and lots of DC power including one USB-C 100 watt outlet. The cigarette lighter adds another one. 3,500 charges and then it drops down to 80% charging. It is meant to last more than 10 years of every day usage. I have only had it for one trip over two nights (two weeks total of constant testing). LiFePO4 so it is very safe. Weight: 35 lbs.

Here is my short term analysis.

The AC180 worked great under all conditions. It charged up two laptops, one iPad, three iPhones and a few other things without breaking a sweat. I did manage to run it down to 53% which took longer than you might think.

On the first morning I plugged it into the inverter of the camper and fed it 380 watts (two panels) of solar at around 1,000 watts (continuous off of battery). The battery in the camper (2, 6 volt lead acid weenies) held up nicely until clouds came over 15 minutes into the recharging. I switched the charging to 269 watts incoming and it did not drain the camper batteries any more. This thing can suck out more power than is coming in.

It worked very well and the entire charging of 47% happened (to 100%) in 30 minutes.

The AC plugs are rated to 1,800 watts at 15 amps. It can run the camper (minus air conditioning), however, I have not bypassed the EMS which is mandatory. Otherwise it throws off an E-9 error (Broken Link). So I am waiting on that test. That means I have not run the microwave with it yet.

All in all, this thing kicks ass! It will easily charge everything you need and recharge surprisingly fast! The power is super clean. I tested most appliances in my kitchen with it and they all worked fine. Even my wife's 1,800 watt hair dryer works! I do not use the Power Lifting feature. It lowers watts to simulate higher amps. Don't do it.

Here are a few pics. Price $799 (now $949 soon to be around $1,100). This is highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
AC180-1.jpg   AC180-2.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 02:03 PM   #30

Thanks for the update on the Bluetti AC180. I have been looking at them and still waiting for prices to go down.
The new 2-6v batteries are doing much better than the 7 year old Interstates I replace.
I have two solar panels for 260w of recharge power and together they charge up the 6v by noon.
We use a coffee pot and the microwave (@50% power) and there are no problems. My wife's 1000w hair dryer does push the inverter at times but by the end of day the batteries are topped off.
A bit confused on how you connect the trailer to the unit. Are you plugging the 30amp from the rear o the trailer into one of the 15amos on the unit.
Does the trailer's EMS not like that?
1800w of power would be nice to have.
Thanks for your update.
Old 07-30-2023, 05:57 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Yes, we have a 15 amp plug for our 30 amp service chord. Then we can bypass the EMS, which i have not done yet. I am waiting to hear from escape before I do that.

I get a E-9 error, broken link error when plugging into the EMS.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:19 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape
Last week I was camped in a National Forest campsite. Beautiful lake and a quiet campground but tree cover precluded any real solar charging. Along the lakeshore path one site placed a Bluetti unit along the water where it was open to the sun. Three lightweight panels were connected.

It seems like a great alternative to a gas/propane generator or running dual 75' wires to a portable solar panel. I did not speak with the owner about pros and cons.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:05 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
The reason for looking at a power station/generator is for a portable power source to the home during a power outage or earthquake/fire as welll (we have evacuated several times in the past few years so we know the drill).

Any recommendations or expeience with the 1500w or 200w units is appreiated.
I have a 1000 I use for making coffee (600 watt Keurig, no longer available) when off the grid. It lasts ten days just fine.

I bought a 2000 to use during power outages but haven't actually used it for that since then I gave in and got a whole house generator. This week I'm going to test to see what I can run plugged into it. (In the trailer.) Microwave, for sure- the big Q is can I get the AC to run for an hour or so? They say it will run an AC.

I mostly charge mine when I have power before I go.

So related question- how do I make sure the fridge doesn't run off the Jackery? (If I just plug in to it.) I know there is a propane setting but will that limit it to propane as it usually just auto-shifts over? (When I test the AC I can just leave the fridge off- in fact I could do that anyway as I'm sure it won't run AC for long.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
So related question- how do I make sure the fridge doesn't run off the Jackery? (If I just plug in to it.) I know there is a propane setting but will that limit it to propane as it usually just auto-shifts over? (When I test the AC I can just leave the fridge off- in fact I could do that anyway as I'm sure it won't run AC for long.)
We just open the outside cover and unplug the fridge so it can’t run on 110. With the fridge not plugged in to 110, it should run on propane when propane is available. Now if your propane is unavailable it will run on DC.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
We just open the outside cover and unplug the fridge so it can’t run on 110. With the fridge not plugged in to 110, it should run on propane when propane is available. Now if your propane is unavailable it will run on DC.

Enjoy,

Perry
I didn't know that was possible!
Old 07-31-2023, 10:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I didn't know that was possible!
If I make the mistake of not unplugging the fridge when I turn on the inverter it will switch from LP to 120 v draining our batteries. Also have to make sure the air conditioning is not on, but that’s easy to hear. We are just fine with two 100 ah SOK batteries, and only need AC in our seasonal site, .8 mile from our condo. We’re in Minnesota and rarely camp in the summer when AC is needed.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
This guy reviews all kinds of generators and solar panels, etc. The Jackery is overpriced for what it does.

https://www.youtube.com/@HOBOTECH/about
Old 08-03-2023, 11:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
This guy reviews all kinds of generators and solar panels, etc. The Jackery is overpriced for what it does.

https://www.youtube.com/@HOBOTECH/about
I bought mine on a good sale but I see lots cheaper- but not always easy to use. Some are. I've got it so no comparison shopping now. I mentioned earlier I really got it for power outages at home but then caved and put in a whole house generator last winter. So I'll park this one at Mom's in the winter to plug in her fridge and lift chair during outages. (She has propane heat- I didn't have any heat in outages and the generator will run my heat pump.)

Anyway.. it runs the AC just fine. Probably only for about an hour in my 17b but I just tested to see and it wasn't dropping too fast. Where I live there is no need for constant AC but sometime it gets warm enough in the afternoon that dropping it a few degrees would be nice. And it runs the microwave, which will also be nice when I want easy meals and have no hookups. I just plugged the trailer plug (with adapter) into the Jackery (I think it is a 2000). My next two trips are weekends unplugged where it might be too hot in the afternoon and I'm not really camping so would just as soon have the microwave. So we'll give it a try.