Samlex SCC-30AB Controller Issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Samlex SCC-30AB Controller Issue

Finally had some sun in Seattle today (!) so wanted to do the usual monthly "Exercise the Trailer" routine: Fetch it home from the storage yard, run all the appliances, nail the brakes hard a few times, get some grease spread around the wheel bearings, and manually give the 2 6 volt Interstate batteries an equalization charge. The clouds moved in after about 1.5 hours of the equalization, so heeding the advice in the Samlex manual that "there should be full bright sun ... to ensure that maximum available current from the panels can be used to equalize the batteries", I aborted the equalization and planned to do another 1.5 hours tomorrow given the optimistic forecast. I pressed the button on the controller for a few seconds to take it out of equalization mode, and only later noticed that the LED was cycling through Green-Green-Orange-Green. In Equalization mode the LED should flash Orange once a second - no Green flashes.

The charging mode screen was alternating between

Mode : Charger
State : Absorption

and

Mode : Charger
State : Equalization

It seemed like maybe the membrane switch that takes it in and out of Equalization mode was stuck closed, and it was continually toggling back and forth into and out of Equalization mode? The Green-Green-Orange-Green LED and the mode screen display suggested such.

Has anyone run into this sort of thing before? Is there perhaps a way to reset/reinitialize/reboot the controller? Am planning to call Samlex customer service tomorrow, but meanwhile any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Follow-up

Popped the solar controller out of the panel and saw that, indeed, the "Equalization" switch had turned to mush and was jammed so the switch was constantly closed, causing it to cycle into and out of equalization charge mode ad nauseam. Thinking I would just order a new one from my friend Mr. Bezos for $142.

Got hold of Samlex and talked to one of their tech guys about proper order of disconnecting / connecting the controller's Bat +/- and PV +/- terminals, etc, then got transferred to the warranty department and talked to Vladimir the Sales Coordinator - a most pleasant and helpful guy. He said that even though my warranty had long since evaporated, he would look and see if they had any refurb return units sitting around. Sure enough, they had 2 of them, and after testing he would send one to me - for $20 shipping. Got it, swapped it in, and it all is working just fine.

Can't beat that kind of customer service and support. Kudos to Samlex and Vladimir.