Self inflicted wound? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
self inflicted wound ?

Tired of fooling around with light . I had sent message to Escape no response . Also concerning the big gap around our door (sent pics ) was supposed to hear about that today . Went and bought a new light about 9.00 . I got it without switch at bottom , I have a switch inside my door . Lot of fun removing light . It is held by 4 screws and there is a indentation to put a sealant in on back of light but it was glued to trailer . That was not necessary . Wired light up , put RTV silicone in grove at back , also on top of lens, down sides . put my lens back on with 2 small holes on bottom . Light works . Pat PS thank you Ron !
Attached Thumbnails
P1010008.jpg   P1010009.jpg   P1010010.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
all is wel that ends well... hopefully this one will last you.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
See where the number "2" is. My negative probe is touching the bracket. Have you tried putting your negative probe on the round part (that turns) and checking the voltage from the connector to that location?

I'm sure they make these light fixtures in great quantities and they're typical of what's put on RV's but, to me, they're not a very high quality. I'm used to marine fittings, with gaskets and covers that screw on and compress the gasket and keep the water out. Actually, when I pulled my cover off and took the bulb out it was so corroded that it would probably have stopped working soon.

Ron
Found out there isn't anything better for these lights . If I have this problem again I will look for boat lights even if they are round . Pat
Old 09-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think its safe to say there was a defect in that light and you were safe buying a new one. When I did my 4 sides of the trailer lighting I removed the built-in switch. No chance that it'll get turned on accidentally or by someone else. With the interior switch just inside the door it really doesn't seem necessary to have the exterior switch.

I think RV equipment is what it is. I'm not sure if there's any manufacturer that uses marine quality equipment. But really, when you have to drill drain holes to let the water out

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think its safe to say there was a defect in that light and you were safe buying a new one. When I did my 4 sides of the trailer lighting I removed the built-in switch. No chance that it'll get turned on accidentally or by someone else. With the interior switch just inside the door it really doesn't seem necessary to have the exterior switch.

I think RV equipment is what it is. I'm not sure if there's any manufacturer that uses marine quality equipment. But really, when you have to drill drain holes to let the water out

Ron
Ron I put the original cover back on . I had drilled 2 very little holes at bottom of lens about 1/16 . I made a gasket with the RTV silicone for lens in lens grove just going on top and down sides , not at bottom so if water gets in there it can escape . Will see . Still have driver side light to worry about and it has the bottom switch which I don't need , having also a inside switch to operate . Just wanted to get this porch light working first . Driver light does not have drilled holes at bottom of lens so can see which works better . Pat
Old 09-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Heck, I contemplated putting a bead of silicone around the whole lens I've cleaned up my terminals but if they corrode again any time soon that's what I'll do.

Just realized that the photo I posted did show the switch taken out of service and bypassed. Would've removed it but then I'd have had a hole to fill.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:52 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Just got home and am glad to see your light is working. I went round and round about my exterior lights and their cheap construction during my build sheet. Called ETI and wanted lights without switches but that was a no go. Settled my self with switches in my door jamb and figured when stock lights give up, I'll go marine quality .... when those quit then submarine lights.

The only thing that kept me from going too frothy around the mouth was that I haven't noticed very many of you complaining about your ext. lights. Maybe everyone lives in a desert? I removed my front light (to illuminate the tongue area) from my build sheet cause living in the dark North I'm quite used to using headlamps at night. I like the Petzel brand ... they are so good, I'm quite certain they must be a Canadian company.

Anyway Pat, am so glad you have your light working.... and you know each time you have a "breakdown" you will be that much smarter and better equipped to fix whatever it is .... and so much easier.

Best of luck in your travels,

Tom

( I think it has been really neat how everyone has tried to help ..... with that in mind .... I should be comfortably retired by now ..... can anyone help?)
Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Just got home and am glad to see your light is working. I went round and round about my exterior lights and their cheap construction during my build sheet. Called ETI and wanted lights without switches but that was a no go. Settled my self with switches in my door jamb and figured when stock lights give up, I'll go marine quality .... when those quit then submarine lights.

The only thing that kept me from going too frothy around the mouth was that I haven't noticed very many of you complaining about your ext. lights. Maybe everyone lives in a desert? I removed my front light (to illuminate the tongue area) from my build sheet cause living in the dark North I'm quite used to using headlamps at night. I like the Petzel brand ... they are so good, I'm quite certain they must be a Canadian company.

Anyway Pat, am so glad you have your light working.... and you know each time you have a "breakdown" you will be that much smarter and better equipped to fix whateveit is .... and so much easier.

Best of luck in your travels,

Tom

( I think it has been really neat how everyone has tried to help ..... with that in mind .... I should be comfortably retired by now ..... can anyone help?)
Hi Tom ,thank you for the kind words . If you have to remove your lights hope they aren't glued on like mine were , hence the mangled light fixture picture . You can get the same light without the switch if you change them out . Yep I am getting more education . And I really do appreciate this Forum and the members , one of the best perks owning the Escape trailer is this Forum . Take care and safe travels . Pat
Old 09-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Those dang exterior lights are about the cheapest/crappiest thing made. That's why you can buy them for less than $10... usually S&H included! Look around, even the gazillion dollar trailers use them somewhere on the exterior.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #50

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
So Escape won't put something on like this?

LED Porch Light - Diamond 52526 - Light Fixtures - Camping World

I was going to call/email to ask, as I have had to replace the junky exterior light on my Casita due to moisture and corrosion ruining the electrical stuff inside. I figured "surely, this would be just as easy for them?" Maybe not...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
So Escape won't put something on like this?

LED Porch Light - Diamond 52526 - Light Fixtures - Camping World

I was going to call/email to ask, as I have had to replace the junky exterior light on my Casita due to moisture and corrosion ruining the electrical stuff inside. I figured "surely, this would be just as easy for them?" Maybe not...
Perhaps they will, just like the hydralic table mounts. You'll certainly need to ask.

But at $50 each (and I have four), I'll keep the crappy lights and hope to only need to replace occassionally... like once every 3-5 years.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Glad to see you got it all sorted out, Pat. A bit of a hassle, but with good results.

One of the biggest issues that any RV manufacturer faces, not only Escape, is to keep costs down. The one way to do that is to use the regular, run of the mill components found extensively in the industry. While those lights that Nathan linked to are great, if you use 4 of them you just added $160 to the build, and this is just one component of many that go into the build.

My thoughts are that the industry standard components lack quality largely due to the fact that they mostly see very little use. The vast majority of RV's out there spend almost their entire life in storage.

There are lots of standard items I would love to see upgraded, sinks, taps, stoves, interior panelling, toilets, fill and electrical hatches, drawer slides, and so one, but to address the potential concerns of all these features will push the price to a degree that will scare many people off. Just look at what happened to the Nest Caravan, an extremely well built unit using top quality components, but the final cost got pushed to where very few would be willing to pay the cost.

Just so long as the base elements of the trailer are sound, these individual items can be changed out at the owner's expense afterwards, if they so desire. Some things people want included, Escape will try to accommodate if reasonably possible. You have to remember that something like mounting the existing porch lights takes them less than a minute each, whereas using something supplied by the purchaser will mean they have to build a template to ensure the hole pattern works out, effectively multiplying the time taken by 3-10 times (just guessing here). Do this with a bunch of components on the build, and every other build, and it can drastically affect production time. This I know very well, doing custom building for people. Those production builders can knock off homes in no time, with their eyes closed, whereas every build we do is a prototype, requiring much more time to produce.

This is not to say that requesting higher level products is not a good thing, heck I do plan to do so with a few things myself, or if it is too much of a hassle for Escape, I will just install, or replace, them myself when needed.

Do remember, this post was written by a guy who loves to buy quality products in places where it matters to me. I do buy some cheaper items where longevity and usability are not key factors, but usually buy quality as I know most often there is value in doing so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #53

Well, and its just not about the lights failing...the white-ish plastic looks good for a while then slowly turns to that lovely mustard color. Yes, I know, spray paint. I prefer to have something that can be installed nice and stay nice. Plus, I saw the mangled back plate in the picture above and that sent chill waves down my non-practical spine.

In the same theme of discoloration, I asked Escape if they would be willing to install the vent cover that Casita started putting on it's trailers a few years back. Made from a different plastic that apparently does not discolor. They said "no".
Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Getting all lathered up over the perceived poor quality of the exterior light fixtures is in my opinion, not worth the lather. Even though we only use them on rare occasions, my three exterior lights all work and have caused me no grief. Maybe at some point in the very distant future if the lights fail to function as designed, I may consider a higher quality replacement.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Well, and its just not about the lights failing...the white-ish plastic looks good for a while then slowly turns to that lovely mustard color. Yes, I know, spray paint.
ETI installs black frame lights now
Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #56

Well, that makes things a whole lot more livable!!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Donna,
Is that a standard install or do you have to request black?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #58

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
We had motion light fixtures installed and they work good.
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Glad to see you got it all sorted out, Pat. A bit of a hassle, but with good results.

One of the biggest issues that any RV manufacturer faces, not only Escape, is to keep costs down. The one way to do that is to use the regular, run of the mill components found extensively in the industry. While those lights that Nathan linked to are great, if you use 4 of them you just added $160 to the build, and this is just one component of many that go into the build.

My thoughts are that the industry standard components lack quality largely due to the fact that they mostly see very little use. The vast majority of RV's out there spend almost their entire life in storage.

There are lots of standard items I would love to see upgraded, sinks, taps, stoves, interior panelling, toilets, fill and electrical hatches, drawer slides, and so one, but to address the potential concerns of all these features will push the price to a degree that will scare many people off. Just look at what happened to the Nest Caravan, an extremely well built unit using top quality components, but the final cost got pushed to where very few would be willing to pay the cost.

Just so long as the base elements of the trailer are sound, these individual items can be changed out at the owner's expense afterwards, if they so desire. Some things people want included, Escape will try to accommodate if reasonably possible. You have to remember that something like mounting the existing porch lights takes them less than a minute each, whereas using something supplied by the purchaser will mean they have to build a template to ensure the hole pattern works out, effectively multiplying the time taken by 3-10 times (just guessing here). Do this with a bunch of components on the build, and every other build, and it can drastically affect production time. This I know very well, doing custom building for people. Those production builders can knock off homes in no time, with their eyes closed, whereas every build we do is a prototype, requiring much more time to produce.

This is not to say that requesting higher level products is not a good thing, heck I do plan to do so with a few things myself, or if it is too much of a hassle for Escape, I will just install, or replace, them myself when needed.

Do remember, this post was written by a guy who loves to buy quality products in places where it matters to me. I do buy some cheaper items where longevity and usability are not key factors, but usually buy quality as I know most often there is value in doing so.
Hi Jim I agree with just about everything you have mentioned here . I was a bit upset with the install of the fixture just a quick glue on . I used wide blue tape around and was very careful to not damage my trailer getting this fixture off . I didn't care about damaging the fixture I was removing . Also getting the sealant off was not fun either to prepare for new fixture . Since these lights will need to be replaced somewhere down the line , just using a waterproof seal in the grove at back and your 4 screws was all that was needed . These lights are not heavy . You and I know the proper way to get these fixtures off , there are a lot of folks who don't and it could cause a lot of damage to their trailer . Anyway light is fixed for now . I can rest up for the ortherside later . Congratulations on your new trailer and can't wait for your improvements down the line . Pat
Old 09-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #60

Quote:
Well, and its just not about the lights failing...the white-ish plastic looks good for a while then slowly turns to that lovely mustard color. Yes, I know, spray paint. I prefer to have something that can be installed nice and stay nice. Plus, I saw the mangled back plate in the picture above and that sent chill waves down my non-practical spine.

In the same theme of discoloration, I asked Escape if they would be willing to install the vent cover that Casita started putting on it's trailers a few years back. Made from a different plastic that apparently does not discolor. They said "no".
Saw that vent and I wish I had it . I painted mine and now am happier . It started to yellow pretty fast . Pat