Sewer hose container - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #1

Sewer hose container

As many have already posted, we found the problem with the container for the sewer hose to be problematic.

There are some things that are standards in the RV world. The size of sewer hoses and their containers is one such standard. Why Escape Trailers did not follow that standard is quite a puzzle. Granted, it is much cheaper to buy 4" PVC pipe (measured from the outside) and just stick connectors on the ends. Unfortunately, this will not accommodate the standard size of hoses for RVs.

We purchased a very, very nice sewer hose since the super-thin material on the one that came with the trailer had sprung a leak almost immediately. Being newbies, we were clueless as to why it did not fit. We assumed there were multiple sizes and that we had mistakenly gotten the wrong one. This proved to be incorrect. Our nice new hose was the standard size. We tried to modify it and ended up just throwing it out when we could not get it to fit. (Bad -- lotsa $$$ gone. It was a pricey hose, after all.)

As we have learned (from you guys, actually), Escape Trailers, et.al., modified the hose that came with the trailer to get it to fit into that white holder on the back. We decided that having to use a Dremel and sand down the connectors was not a good idea for the long term. It does weaken the connectors, but moreover, it doesn't solve the issue of having a plastic sewer connector on the other end (the one that fits the sewer hole in the ground.) Of course, the hose that came with the trailer had no such end connector, but that meant the hose just drops down the sewer pipe. We really wanted standard connectors.

Furthermore, the wood that was used as a saddle was just a thin piece of pine. Subject to deterioration and failure.

Our solution was to purchase a standard sewer hose container from Camping World. We threw the original, non-standard container away. We tried drilling new holes into the wood and the pine split into pieces.

Then we decided to just drill into the metal instead. We bought metal plumber's tape and got self-tapping (aka 'self-drilling') screws from the hardware store and just attached the new container to the metal frame. We left the remaining wood saddle there, but probably will replace them at some point since they surely will deteriorate eventually.

I will post pictures of what we did soon.

kalyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Re: Sewer hose container

pics
Attached Thumbnails
modification1.jpg   modification2.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Sorry to learn of your difficulty. I have a standard hose with connectors at both ends that fits in the tube that came with my 2009. The only part that doesn't fit is the right angled end that goes in the sewer opening. (I keep that separately bagged and with the exterior water hoses.) I had another metal tube holder on an older but high end travel trailer and the right angled connector did not fit in there either. Perhaps that hose that comes with the Escape is for limited use, as the original that came with mine got mooshed when I accidentally stepped on it.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the problem isn't that the hose doesn't fit in the tube provided, it's that the right-angle connector for hooking into the site sewer won't fit in the pipe. Correct? I'm sure that the right angle connector on our 2006 17 fit in that tube just fine. The ones on the 19 must be different.

And, the hose holder pipe on our 2006 17 was mounted on top of the frame, right in front of the spare tire. Won't the hose holder for the 19 fit back there as well?

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #5

Yes, the right angled connector but *also* the connector that attaches to the trailer (with the claws -- this is what was sanded down with a Dremel on the original hose).

We know for a fact that the container is nonstandard since we measured it. It is just plain 4" pvc pipe. (Unlike metal pipe, these are measured as an outside diameter. So we know the inside diameter is less than 4".

We know that the connectors that are standard for sewer hoses are larger than this. We also know that the standard containers that are fabricated especially for RV hoses are larger than 4" PVC pipe.

The containers that are made for RV hoses are what should be attached to RVs. The one that came on our 2011 19ft trailer was custom-made from standard 4" PVC pipe.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #6

So, if the connector on the hose isn't standard, then the receptacle on the trailer must not be standard either. Therefore, if I get a "standard" hose and a larger storage container, will I have to change out the receptacle on the trailer as well What a PITA that would be !

Doug
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

The best thing to do would be to call Escape and talk to Tammy or Reace. I re-used and am still using the original connector. The only part that does not fit is the "right-angled" fitting. The connector that connects to that at the far end of the hose fits in also. A useful hint: put a sturdy "string" under one of the end clamps in case the slinky gets too far back to comfortably reach. I used string trimmer line (.06), and put a loop on the grabbing end.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Doug, the hose supplied has the same connections as any RV drain hose. The ones that come with the trailers are not as bulky as most, so fit in the tubes fine. I think all the trailers now have them installed underneath.

Granted, the supplied hoses are not the toughest and don't come with an angled adapter, but I have not had many issues with it and only had to patch one small hole in mine in 3 years.

If someone wants to upgrade the hose instead of replacing it, often a larger tube will be needed. They can be bought from any RV dealer for pretty much the same cost as a good hose, and are easy to to install (or just have them install). I have plans to do just this when I replace my sewer hose.

It really is not that big of a deal (to me), and is nothing to be jumping up and down about. Escape trailers are built with quality where it counts, and some features are of less quality than lots of the options available. If they did not make some of these compromises, costs would go up, as would the base weight of the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Jim,

Me too. As in, ditto.

I had to replace an end connector, but only because I tossed the hose on the ground, which was actually cement, and broke a flange. I did have to file down the new one to make it fit in the holder. Haven't had any issue with the hose itself in four years.

baglo
Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #10

Wanting to have a bit more "skookum" hose we went to Canadian Tire today and low and behold they had a very nice Rhino hose with caps for the ends and the 90-degree site sewer connector included. It also has the racheting (don't know what the correct term is) corrugations which helps the hose hold its shape. The price was about the same as from Camping World so overall it was less since we didn't have to pay shipping. Now all we need is the larger tube which we will likely get from CW and mount it the same way Paul S. did.

Doug
Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #11

Im in the Jim/Baglo camp. The hose, as supplied by Escape, is adequate for the job. Wear gloves, watch where you step, hold your breath, and be sure to put some kind of weight (either a rock or the cover of the "dump hole") on the hose before you open the valve. I'll spend my discretionary funds on other aspects of my camping experience.

Dave
Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #12

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Im in the Jim/Baglo camp. The hose, as supplied by Escape, is adequate for the job. Wear gloves, watch where you step, hold your breath, and be sure to put some kind of weight (either a rock or the cover of the "dump hole") on the hose before you open the valve. I'll spend my discretionary funds on other aspects of my camping experience.

Dave
There is also a "pig" that replaces a rock to hold down the hose,

http://www.fiberglasstraveltrailersr...ig-11-0000.htm
Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #13

Nice...a pink plastic pig! On sale, no less - sign me up!

Dave
Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #14

The hose that comes with this trailer seems to be around 10 -12 mils. They don't make them much thinner than this. It is possible some Escapes were supplied with thicker hose material -- I would not venture to say since I have no way of determining that.

Our new hose is 20 mils thick. It will last a very long time, is my guess. The new container fits fine in the existing wood holders.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #15

To purchase a proper sized tube to hold the slinky stinky,all one has to do is go to your nearest plumbing supply store and purchase the right sized piece of pipe and end fittings.

Ask for pipe used for the construction and installation of a septic field, then they will know what you are talking about.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...The unthinkable finally happened!!! I know the stinky slinky was starting to show its metal after all its 5yrs old. Not to worry we inherited a HD one with the trailer. Why change out what still works...right. Well last "Dump station" we visited one prong of the connector decided to let go...while the gate valve from the black tank was open!!! HOLD ON for dear life. What else can you do in the situation..."Keep on dumping".
Sent my DW to the RVTech for a new connector and she brings home a super duper 4 pronger on the advice of the tech. "If one breaks off you can just rotate it 1/4 turn", except that it won't fit in the "Slinky tube". I go back and trade it for a 2 pronger just the same as the original...WRONG!!! Two prongers made in Mexico aren't the same as 2prongers made in Taiwan
No big deal...just make a new slinky tube so the Taiwan 2pronger will fit right... Long story short after an hr. and a half at TSC store I found a 4" #315343 female adapter SDR35 BDS that will accept the screwin cap and the dreaded Taiwan 2pronger!!!
1 length of pipe
1 cap
1 adapter
1 can of pvc glue
$35.00 later...back at the ranch it's a simple matter of take off the old tube and make another just like it...WRONG!!! Rust and exposure to the elements have made this simply near impossible!!! Seems the 5.0 tube is bolted thru the frame... not to mention the licence plate is in the way and rusted too. What started out as a 20min. fix is going to take all weekend!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Alf, you seem to have all the fun.
Nothing is ever as easy as it first looks, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #18

"Hi: All...The unthinkable finally happened!!!"
Sorry to hear of your woes. What would you do if there were no "fixits"? Just look at it as an opportunity to sharpen your skills.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Hi, escape artist,
That's a real bummer. Maybe we all need to put some of that VHB tape on those prongs.
You need your Rustoleum on the license plate, too, just so you don't become anonymous.
Not a fun way to spend the weekend but I predict you will have it all put away by noon Saturday.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #20

We have a Rhino hose and connection for our Itasca.. it didn't fit in the bumper that houses the "Stinky tube".. I had to grind down the sides of the connector to make it fit.. the prongs were just a tad off from the outer casing of the connector plastic so they didn't compromised too much..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote