sewer hose container cap - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2021, 03:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B 2021
sewer hose container cap

We had a little accident last weekend and the SUBJ got broken. Pic attached.
I wonder if anyone had any luck getting a replacement somewhere - I didn't have any problems with the cap and liked its simplicity, it held our 15' Rhino Flex well, even that clear plastic elbow did fit (w/t any attachments).
Another option is just to add a regular 4" threaded cleanout plug from HD. I think both options would require sawing off the broken end piece and glueing in a new one.
For right now, I will just drill small holes in both the lid and the pipe and use a plastic zip tie.

Also, while we are at it - what is the best way to patch a small hole in the sewer hose? I got one from ETI and I want to use as a spare in case of any problems with the Rhino. The hole is very close to the clamp so I was wondering whether I could just move the clamp a foot and reattach it, or should I just use some swimming toys patch kits on the inside of the hose? Again, the patched hose won't be used at all, I will keep it just as a spare.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2687.jpg   IMG_2688.jpg  
dosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Your plans sound solid however there is nothing that says it has to be a lid on the end. You could just drill 2 holes and use a large pin/spike for a quick fix or permanently. Aids in drying and venting.
Attached Thumbnails
A3D2867C-588E-49CA-8191-B44983DFB025.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Your plans sound solid however there is nothing that says it has to be a lid on the end. You could just drill 2 holes and use a large pin/spike for a quick fix or permanently. Aids in drying and venting.
True, but when I am leaving a campground, I just don't want everyone come out of their trailers telling me the cap fell off
The Rhino flex is orange, the pipe would look like a giant hornet about to come out of its nest
Old 07-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
You can order a replacement end cap fitting and door from the manufacturer: https://dwincorp.com/product/replace...uper-slider-2/

Looks like the hinge fitting is broken in your photo - if just the pins on the door are broken you can also order just the door from them.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
You can order a replacement end cap fitting and door from the manufacturer: https://dwincorp.com/product/replace...uper-slider-2/

Looks like the hinge fitting is broken in your photo - if just the pins on the door are broken you can also order just the door from them.
Yep, looks like mine
I found a better price, though, I mean same price for 2 pieces, in case it breaks again
https://www.recpro.com/rv-replacemen...r-hose-holder/
Old 07-26-2021, 07:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
I added a "fail-safe" zip tie on the hinge side of cap, just in case the hinge fails sometime. Once in a while the hinge portion springs loose. At least I won't lose the end-cap.

I also use a carabiner on the closure side, just in case. On the other end of the sewer tube, I have two zip ties to keep it closed all the times. Works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2773.jpg  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
I added a "fail-safe" zip tie on the hinge side of cap, just in case the hinge fails sometime. Once in a while the hinge portion springs loose. At least I won't lose the end-cap.

I also use a carabiner on the closure side, just in case. On the other end of the sewer tube, I have two zip ties to keep it closed all the times. Works for me.
"Belt and suspenders" attitude, I like it..............
Old 07-28-2021, 04:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosby View Post
Also, while we are at it - what is the best way to patch a small hole in the sewer hose? I got one from ETI and I want to use as a spare in case of any problems with the Rhino. The hole is very close to the clamp so I was wondering whether I could just move the clamp a foot and reattach it, or should I just use some swimming toys patch kits on the inside of the hose? Again, the patched hose won't be used at all, I will keep it just as a spare.
Thanks!
From experience, you need to throw any leaking sewer hose directly in the garbage! We were dumping our tanks at a KOA during our last travels when I noticed a small leak in our original ETI hose. Just as I noticed the leak, the entire hose split and dumped gallons of black tank all over the ground. What a huge mess!
We hosed down the area and tried to clean up the mess. Then into the camp store to confess to the owner about what happened and purchase a new Rhino hose.
The original ETI hose was five years old. I think it provided great service during those years. It just failed dramatically in a very embarrassing way. Avoid my embarrassment and throw out that old hose out!
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post
The original ETI hose was five years old. I think it provided great service during those years.
Exactly, it's not a bad hose, that is why I want to quick-fix it and keep it as a spare. Mine is 3 months old.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 E-19
yet more sewer hose storage

I've purchased the pair of sewer hose storage pipe caps (thanks for the tip, Escape Folks) and now have a couple questions.

Are the end caps glued, cemented, epoxied to the pipe? Gentle tapping leads me to believe more intense tapping could only make things worse.

The package-of-two from Recpro seems a step in the right direction, but the separation from the pipe is still an issue.

Thanks for any insights, advice or cautionary tales!

Jon/Melusine
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
I've purchased the pair of sewer hose storage pipe caps (thanks for the tip, Escape Folks) and now have a couple questions.

Are the end caps glued, cemented, epoxied to the pipe? Gentle tapping leads me to believe more intense tapping could only make things worse.

The package-of-two from Recpro seems a step in the right direction, but the separation from the pipe is still an issue.

Thanks for any insights, advice or cautionary tales!

Jon/Melusine
From the Q&A on the RecPro page linked above.

Q: Do I glue these on to my sewer hose holder pipe and if so what kind of glue?

A: NO, do not glue them on. They are designed to be mounted (screwed) to a metal angle bracket that comes with the original kit. The caps are slipped over the pipe at each end. The caps are then screwed into the angle brackets that have been previously mounted to the RV frame.
By Ricky M. on June 17, 2020
Old 12-06-2023, 08:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 E-19
Thanks, Charles in GA, that's good info, I'm sure; though I still have the same question. Does anyone know:
-is this something Escape purchases from a vendor as a completed, 2-capped unit;
- or do they fab these up themselves?
If the latter, how are the caps connected to the pipe?
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The caps friction fit over the pipe ends and are screwed to the trailer frame, which holds it all in place.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post

I second the carabiner clip, on both ends of the tube!

I added mine after I was driving home, and spotted in my rear-view camera, the sewer hose half extended and bouncing along the road behind me. The lid had come open.

Bought a new hose and put the two clips on. Maybe I failed to close the door properly after the last use, leading to the failure, but the clips add both the extra security and intentional extra effort to remember to secure the lid.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote