Sewer Hose Questions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2015, 06:40 AM   #21

Trailer: sold it
Check out the Sewer Solution - there are several posts about it. Real easy to use and no muss or fuss. You'll still have to carry a stinky-slinky to use when the dump station you're at doesn't have a garden hose fitting.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrob View Post
Check out the Sewer Solution - there are several posts about it. Real easy to use and no muss or fuss. You'll still have to carry a stinky-slinky to use when the dump station you're at doesn't have a garden hose fitting.
I got behind someone at an RV dump that was using one of these. While there is merit to the concept, like being able to dump a bit up hill, this fellow seemed to take forever to dump compared to all the other RVs. In this situation I think he should have just pulled out the slinky.

After dumping many, many times now, I don't find the process that messy at all. The only time was in my last trailer, where the grey water valve leaked a bit, and you got some water when you opened the cap. This would still be the case no matter what system you hooked up. I keep a small bottle of dish soap handy, and wash up after dumping all the time anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #23

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
sewer hoses

I believe a sewer solution will be in the door prize area if Tammy says ok. It is new and complete.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Watched a fellow dump a Casita with the 'sewer solution' at the Bluebonnet Rally. Easy to use but in the time it took for him to dump his black tank, we could have dumped both black and grey, rinsed out, stowed, and probably hitched up.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Watched a fellow dump a Casita with the 'sewer solution' at the Bluebonnet Rally. Easy to use but in the time it took for him to dump his black tank, we could have dumped both black and grey, rinsed out, stowed, and probably hitched up.
I think you could also have filled a freshwater tank with the fresh water that he dumped straight into the sewer. According to the instruction manual, this system uses about 40% to 50% of the waste tank content volume in fresh water... and that's without adding water to the waste tank to fill it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
We encountered the same issue with someone using a sewer solution. It was on a Sunday afternoon and he caused quite a backup at the dump station. With parts of the US in a drought condition , and limiting water usage , the sewer solution wastes too much water for what it accomplishes .IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think you could also have filled a freshwater tank with the fresh water that he dumped straight into the sewer. According to the instruction manual, this system uses about 40% to 50% of the waste tank content volume in fresh water... and that's without adding water to the waste tank to fill it.

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We encountered the same issue with someone using a sewer solution. It was on a Sunday afternoon and he caused quite a backup at the dump station. With parts of the US in a drought condition , and limiting water usage , the sewer solution wastes too much water for what it accomplishes .IMHO

True. Why waste water?

Another "dirty" little secret: the manufacturer of this and other systems claim to be able to clean the tank via water from the sewer drain. They really can't. Lots of YouTube videos where they've constructed a clear tank show that most of the water never reaches the tank, let alone cleaning it out. I'll stick with the "hose through the window into the toilet" technique for that, although the tornado seems to work well too.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A bag of ice down the hopper and some digester... under tow works for me. But, I only put liquids down and Scotts. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A bag of ice down the hopper and some digester... under tow works for me. But, I only put liquids down and Scotts. YMMV

Here's an interesting video about using the bag of ice method.

https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw

Not really effective if there are solids, and if it's only liquids, you probably don't need the ice to begin with.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Here's an interesting video about using the bag of ice method.

https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw

Not really effective if there are solids, and if it's only liquids, you probably don't need the ice to begin with.
May not, but at destination there's water in the tank (and chemicals) and just makes me feel better about using the flushy from the "get go"
Old 05-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
So far have only needed the ETI hose, but have 25' of Viper ready for eventualities.

Sidebar: this site has the pedestal/drain on a slight rise, so could use my still boxed support links if I wish.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
We generally only put liquids into the holding tanks, and use the campground showers so I rarely, and I do mean rarely connect t a sewer connection, although I have the parts to do so. I really have an aversion to having a sewer hose set up on my camp site. That means I typically stop at the dump station or dump at the site if possible on the day I leave. I have never had a need for a sewer hose longer than 10 feet in 30 years for dump station use. I do, however, carry a 5-foot extension (which has never been used!).
Old 05-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Carl, you sound just like us. Only dump when leaving most times, with the hose stowed while in camp. We also prefer campground showers if available, though it is nice to have one in the trailer as a backup.

We did once use a buddy's backup sewer hose, as we needed to dump mid stay, and we had arranged ourselves with our RV's together to make it more social, but this put us a ways away from hook-ups. A couple other things even more useful to us were his extra water hose, and electrical extension, both of which were hooked up full time. We now carry a spare of each, all tucked away in the depths of the storage show we ever need them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I thought the original that came with the trailer was too thin and didn't trust it, I swapped to the Rhino like Donna. Had a Flush King from previous trailer, works great for back flushing when no one is behind you at the dump station and the non potable hose has a male end on it. I keep it in the storage between the propane and the loft. In the image it's the right hand part only.

By the way, had the cover for the dump outlet pipe break, one of the clips broke. It was always very tight, but no more. New one from WM works much better.
Also had the clip on one side break off the cap in less then a year .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #35

Trailer: sold it
I've never timed it, but I think I'm faster with the Sewer Solution than I am with my stinky slinky, but I have a lot more practice with it since I use it whenever I have a garden hose hookup available. I would never use the Sewer Solution to rinse the tanks if there was somebody waiting. If I do take the time to "rinse" the tanks it does get a bit more stuff out. If I don't "rinse" the black water sensors tell me the tank is 3/4 full even when I know it's empty, but rinsing cleans them off - most of the time. It doesn't get the tank as clean as the toilet wand so I still use the wand after each trip. I like the cleanliness of the Sewer Solution - it's just so simple to use. Plus I can run a 40' 1" hose into my basement window and into a toilet so I can dump the tanks in my driveway.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
we like others upgraded to a Rhino hose 15' fits with all the fittings into the escape 21 storage tube

Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15' Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fitting
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hose support used when we camp at a site with hookups:
Level-Trek LT80070 15' Sewer Hose Support

regarding tank clean out gadgets, i installed the tornado on our holding tank and have been happy with the result. no more sticking wands into the toilet or feeding hose into the bathroom.

Camco 40126 Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser with Hose

also installed a clear section to verify fluid is running clean
Camco 39847 RhinoFLEX Clear 45 Degree Sewer Hose Swivel Fitting

Camco 40126 Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser with Hose
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
At my last stop someone stole my slinky. I discovered it missing today when I arrived at my present location. Fortunately a local hardware store had some, so I bought a Rhino slinky. I will put padlocks on the storage tube ASAP.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
At my last stop someone stole my slinky.
They must have been desperate
Old 06-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
That is starting to stoop pretty low when they steal your sewer hose. We are planning on taking a new Rhino hose with us when we pick up the trailer. Can you lock the hose container or do you have to modify it to do so? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Were the covers still latched? I've seen quite a few of these laying along the highway.