solar array for ac300 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2022, 11:15 PM   #1

Trailer: none
solar array for ac300

Hey everyone im new but i believe i understand this but want to confirm and make sure im getting the most out of my panels!
I got four 315 watt panels at 40.89VOC (41VOC)and 9.89 short circuit (10 ISC) so i just rounded up to be safe. Anyways i got 2 panels in series then coming to parallel. said and done this should give me 82voc with 20A giving me a max of 1640. Obviously that's rounding up and over paneling for a single 1200 watt 12a inverter on the ac300. I saw that you can over panel and things will be ignored to work? I live in NJ so weather varies no lower then 10 degrees in winter and no higher then 100 in summer. Can someone double check my math? Also has anyone had any issues with over paneling? I would love to have 8 total panels to give me my 2400watt (this array times two) max input.
Thank you
glennaeichmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 - 2021
4x315w=1260w. This is whether series or parallel, so somewhere your math is off a little. P=VI. Parallel is same voltage, series increases it per panel.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Perhaps of interest is the Victron Energy "MPPT Calculator Excel sheet" which can be found and downloaded by scrolling to the bottom of This Victron Webpage.

IMO a wonderful tool, it allows you to load the specs for your PV panels of choice then quickly run various scenarios for parallel / series schemes, system voltage, ambient temperature, etc, etc and see all sorts of useful data including voltage and current yield with various Victron MPPT controllers. It correctly handles all the arithmetic drudgery behind the evaluation scenarios.

While you can't load it with non-Victron controller specs you can often correlate those to other brands / models if that's your inclination.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!