Solar Charging Circuit Breaker(s) - Amp Rating? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2022, 08:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 E19'
I'm installing circuit breakers on both sides of my solar controller, and fear, doubt, and uncertainty - as they often do - entered the equation. I'm waiting for some next-day 8 AWG terminal connectors with small screw holes (#10) for the terminals on my Samlex controller so I can make up 4 proper jumpers to go between the breakers and the controller, and since I had time to sit back and think about things, it occurred to me that I didn't know for sure whether the breakers actually have a source end and a load end. I was assuming that it didn't matter, but... what do I know?

There are some forum members out there that are familiar with such matters, and I appeal to them to offer their expertise. There is nothing definitive in the product info on Amazon. While the (+) and (-) sides are clearly marked, there is nothing to indicate source and load ends.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BQP924P...roduct_details

There is a schematic (cryptically to me) showing semi-circles, pieces of a square wave, and what appear to be a couple of diodes but are really asterisks. No idea what that's trying to tell me. Poking around on the interwebs, I see talk about arc-suppression issues in DC breakers, but nothing definitive about source vs. load for these breakers and this application.

Argggg- can somebody please help!? Thanks...

Attached Thumbnails
cb.jpg  
Old 02-26-2022, 10:49 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
..... there is nothing to indicate source and load ends. ....
FWIW (and that may be nothing) ....
  • I have several BlueSea (Carling Technologies) flush-panel-mount 'toggle breakers' with the "Load" and "Line" screw-terminals labeled
  • I have many snap-in-breaker-box 'toggle breakers' in various applications (with a screw terminal only on the "Load" side, the "Line" side being a buss-tab receiver slot)
In all cases, when the toggle-handle is flipped to the "Line" side, the breaker is "ON"; when the toggle-handle is flipped to the "Load" side, the breaker is "OFF / tripped / open".

If "ON" and "OFF" are not labeled and you don't have a meter handy, on all of mine there's noticeably more force required to flip the toggle "ON" compared to "OFF".

Make of that what you will, good luck!
Old 02-27-2022, 11:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
...There is nothing definitive in the product info on Amazon. While the (+) and (-) sides are clearly marked, there is nothing to indicate source and load ends.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BQP924P...roduct_details

There is a schematic (cryptically to me) showing semi-circles, pieces of a square wave, and what appear to be a couple of diodes but are really asterisks. No idea what that's trying to tell me. Poking around on the interwebs, I see talk about arc-suppression issues in DC breakers, but nothing definitive about source vs. load for these breakers and this application.

Argggg- can somebody please help!?.
The arcs (less than semi-circles) are the circuit breaker part; the schematic also includes separate switch symbols for the manual switching (linked together). But I don't know from the schematic what end is supposed to be the load, or if there is any significance to the square section.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote