Solar - How Many Days Can I Go? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #21

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryandEllen View Post
Thanks everyone. Yes, we do have dual 6V batteries. Sounds like we will be good for the three days. The Acadia trip will be our second trip, so maybe by that time we will have the portable, as we did order the Zamp port from ETI. We're so excited to pick up in May and explore our country and Canada!!!
GaryandEllen; Do not want to kill your enthusiasm but you may want to check first with Escape before making plans for a trip into Canada. Pres Trump and PM Trudeau just closed the US/Canadian border to all non-essential (read non commercial traffic) until the Pandemic has passed and nobody knows when that may be!
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
We have the escape 5.0 TA and live and camp in maine......we camped out in a no service campground here for two weeks on solar......you should be fine
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
You will run out of water and grey-water tank capacity long before your solar panels and battery run out. throw the dish water outside and limit your showers. We have boondocked in forested areas for up to 10 days with no serious challenges to our batteries. Water: that is another matter. Learn to get water in large jugs with some means of adding to the tank if that is where you want it.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Travelers View Post
GaryandEllen,

I agree that you will be pleasantly surprised. We stayed 6 nights in Blackwoods Campground last July and our batteries provided sufficient power throughout the stay (though I had similar concerns going in). It was the two of us and our pup, and we were careful in our power consumption but did not hesitate to make use of the max or vent fans or charge our USB devices. We didn't and had no need to use the inverter. We were in site A080, which had almost full shade; weather was a mix of sun and clouds. We have a 19' with the factory-installed 170 watt/dual 6 volt setup, which should be very similar to yours, and a 2018 trailer. The batteries kept up and (as noted) the solar did recharge them some each day with the bit of filtered light that came through the canopy. I can't remember how much was put back but they never got close to being down to 50%. We did need to haul freshwater from the bath house spigot to supplement our tank, which ran low.

We did not stay a the Schoodic campground though did visit. And while a visit to the Schoodic Peninsula was on our trip plan it was made all the more pleasurable by a couple who came by our site one day, introduced themselves, and invited us to visit them and their Escape 5.0TA at Schoodic! It was, and is still, the only Escape trailer we've ever seen in the wild. A very nice couple, and a very nice trailer, with several clever and innovative mods. Not too many Escapes here in Eastern US, though there are a few and numbers are growing.

I hope you enjoy your trip and your stay at Blackwoods. We found the previously noted book on Acadia helpful, and also really liked Moon's travel guide to Acadia National Park. Be sure to use the Park's free shuttle bus service, generously provided by LL Bean. It worked rather well for us, and they even let us bring our dog.

No pics of our site and set up to share (I usually try to take one but couldn't find it), so here's an iconic shot of Bass Harbor Head Light. It's a bit of a drive to the light, and when you are out that way you might want to take a late lunch, like we did, at Seafood Ketch nearby. The meal was excellent and the harbor view can't be beat.
---
John
🤔 that couple have a dog named Rowdy?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
We have the escape 5.0 TA and live and camp in maine......we camped out in a no service campground here for two weeks on solar......you should be fine
That campground, Black Woods, has heavy shade, without portable panels I think they'll be limited to the battery life. Even with portable panels they may have a problem. If Schoodic is their 2nd stop all the sites have electric.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
This a great time to have solar...when many of the camp grounds are starting to close.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21' on order to be pulled by 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
As far as pick up you may have to pick up in Sumas, WA at Bob's Burgers only, right now, as the border is closed for tourists.
Yeah, my original post was before the closures. Karl is sending emails to people with upcoming pickups. We will reassess situation in a month's time. We will wait til we can get through, as we have stuff for them to install. Still fun to plan trips though. Trying not to be disappointed about the trip planned to get there, but it is what it is and we'll have to be flexible.
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 escape 21
You should be fine. Make sure the fridge is on propane
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #29

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
For reference I am planning to put a label onto my battery monitor. I saw this and believe it to be accurate information. I have the dual 6 volt factory installed batteries.
12.06 Volts - 50%
11.9 Volts - okay
11.75 Volts - Caution
11.30 Volts - DAMAGE!!
Old 03-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
This is the one I use. Going below 50% shortens battery life.
Attached Thumbnails
battery.gif  
Old 03-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
yes, you want to keep it above the 50% number...
Old 03-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #32

Just to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
battery life.jpg  
Old 03-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, that chart indicates anything below 80% and your battery life really starts to decrease...
Old 03-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Wow, that chart indicates anything below 80% and your battery life really starts to decrease...
My exact thoughts, any discharge apparently.
Where does the 50% magic number come from, neither of these charts?
Old 03-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #35

All the charts I can find pretty much echo the one above. Guess if you have enough battery storage where you can stay above 80% or so they'll last a lot longer then one would think, cycle wise. Like 9ish years if dropping it to 80% every single day.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
On the other hand, the chart indicates you get 500 cycles even if you drain 100% of the power.

I'm not quite sure what to make of that. For example, if I went camping 100 times per year and used 100% of my battery power each time - my battery would last 5 years. (Now, in the real world, my battery capacity would diminish a bit each time, and would be worthless after year 3 more-or-less.)

But at the same time, many of us begin to think about a new battery at the 5 year mark, even if our typical use is a 50% drain and a few weeks of boondocking per year.

I can't reconcile the real world and that chart. Anyone else having that problem?

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 that couple have a dog named Rowdy?
Sure did. Apologies, Rowdy, should have mentioned we met you, too. And what a fine pup you are!

Thanks again for taking time with us and for the advice and tips. We are still getting fully acquainted with our rig and are trying out new ways of doing things.
I hope you've got some great plans for the season and that those campgrounds that have closed will reopen so that we all can get out there and enjoy the great outdoors.

[And now back to learning more about how these batteries behave--what's normal and what's not...]
2Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The folks who have the biggest issues with battery capacity are the ones who want to run lots of AC appliances in a high wattage inverter.... microwave oven, electric coffeemaker, hair dryers, instantpot, etc. 1200 watts might only be 10 amps at 120VAC, but its 100 amps at 12V DC.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:35 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
The folks who have the biggest issues with battery capacity are the ones who want to run lots of AC appliances in a high wattage inverter...

I guess it's what you expect when camping. I am happy if I have enough power to run the furnace fan. I have one 12V battery. I have no built-in inverter. I do have an 80 watt inverter that cost $12.99, which I can use to charge my laptop.

I use propane to boil water for pour-over filter coffee. I don't have a microwave oven in the trailer. We have one at home to cook broccoli. We have propane BBQ and butane one-burner stove and three-burner propane in the trailer that's rarely used.

If I needed AC appliances, I'd just stay home. My back yard is fine.
Attached Thumbnails
yard.jpg  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
The folks who have the biggest issues with battery capacity are the ones who want to run lots of AC appliances in a high wattage inverter.... microwave oven, electric coffeemaker, hair dryers, instantpot, etc. 1200 watts might only be 10 amps at 120VAC, but its 100 amps at 12V DC.
We have the ETI solar setup (1 panel, dual batteries, inverter wired to all outlets). We have camped in all conditions, sunny, cold ie: 20s F, cloudy, heavy tree cover etc.
We have used our inverter extensively, ie: laptop computer with two additional screens, another laptop, our instant pot, toaster, phone charging, hair dryer, 120 volt television.

Our most recent trip (February) was the only time we have gotten our batteries down to 50%. This was after about 18 hours, in 20 degree weather, furnace running, laptop with 2 additional screens (6 hrs), another laptop (2hrs) television (2 hrs), lights. This was overnight and then into an overcast grey day, we had some (minimal) input from solar due to both being overcast and a winter day.

The furnace seems have been a big factor (draw) for us. The winter sun and less daylight also falls into this equation.

I am not about to try to do the amp draw (others can), but I am confident in what I am relaying. We are more travelers than boon dockers, so the solar with inverter works very well for us.

Tags
solar