Solar - How Many Days Can I Go? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21' on order to be pulled by 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Solar - How Many Days Can I Go?

We haven't picked up our 21 yet, that will be in May. But planning a trip to Acadia National Park and the Blackwoods Campground where we want to stay is pretty heavily wooded, from what I've seen. So, if we get their fully charged, but can't recharge much during our stay, how long can we probably go? We have no experience yet, to have any idea whatsoever. We can manage minimal use. Some lights when dark, and of course, fridge will be on. Probably the maxx fan a bit.
We plan to stay three nights? Think we will be okay?
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Sure, no problem. Assuming fridge on propane.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Biggest draw in my trailer is the furnace fan. I'm good for three days in the shoulder season, with no solar or generator.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
You don’t mention battery type. Dual 6V batteries will help with increased amp-hr capacity. Three days with minimal to no solar charging and light use should be fine. This assumes very light or no furnace use and fridge on propane. Lights of course all LED.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
1 battery or 2?

without solar and 2 batteries we can go up to about 8 nights, with no furnace.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You may be pleasantly surprised that even when it seems too shady to get any solar gain you do. Especially on a bright sunny day. With our 170 panel and dual 6 volt flooded batteries (interstates) in the summer we use the max fan, lights sometimes an auxiliary fan and our Engle cooler on battery. In an open sunlight area we are usually back up to fully charged by about 10:30 AM. When it’s cloudy or even raining we often leave the camper and go looking around. I’m always pleased to see how much we’ve gained when we get back in the late afternoon. You’ll do fine with 170 watt panel and dual sixes you just need to be cognizant of your usage. Three or four days have never been a problem. Some mention charging phones and the like. We always take our phones along and let the vehicle charge them. I’m not a TV watcher when camping and only once in a while listen to the radio. I use rechargeable batteries in my little radio and they’ll go a long time. Then I charge them up ( AA’s ) when I get hookups again. I’ve got an inverter in the Highlander but the only time it gets used is when my grandson needs to charge his 3DS and I’m making him look out the window at (minor chord here) Scenery.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
We camped in a wooded site in the Adirondacks late last fall and it rained 7 out of the 8 days we were there. Some of the nights were down in the 20s. Even with the overcast sky and the furnace running, I only ran the generator once to recharge as a precaution. Most of the time the single roof mount solar panel did just fine.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
One option night be a portable Zamp Solar's USP1002 140-watt portable solar system that plugs into the Zamp Solar Port if you ordered it installed on your 21. It comes with a 16ft cable and you can add an additional 15ft extension cable. If the sun is not shining directly on your rooftop solar panel(s) you can move this portable one around the camp area to help charge the batteries.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. Yes, we do have dual 6V batteries. Sounds like we will be good for the three days. The Acadia trip will be our second trip, so maybe by that time we will have the portable, as we did order the Zamp port from ETI. We're so excited to pick up in May and explore our country and Canada!!!
Old 03-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Hopefully, you have reserved a site. If not, you may be unpleasantly surprised. Those sites book up months in advance.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Hopefully, you have reserved a site. If not, you may be unpleasantly surprised. Those sites book up months in advance.
Yes, I'm watching the calendar and booking 6 months in advance, when reservations open! Planning to camp at Schoodic Woods and Blackwoods.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Agreed that max draw is the furnace fan, as long as you avoid using a microwave. My furnace seems to draw about two amps.

Today I had to abandon a campsite in Redwood National / State Park after four days due to low batteries. But I was also concerned about being parked beneath a 250-foot-tall tree that just might decide to shed a limb...
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryandEllen View Post
We haven't picked up our 21 yet, that will be in May. But planning a trip to Acadia National Park and the Blackwoods Campground where we want to stay is pretty heavily wooded, from what I've seen.
Highly recommend this guidebook for Acadia. Beautiful place. Have fun.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/194...fa6395bb3c8dfb
Old 03-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Quote:
We haven't picked up our 21 yet, that will be in May. But planning a trip to Acadia National Park and the Blackwoods Campground where we want to stay is pretty heavily wooded, from what I've seen. So, if we get their fully charged, but can't recharge much during our stay, how long can we probably go? We have no experience yet, to have any idea whatsoever. We can manage minimal use. Some lights when dark, and of course, fridge will be on. Probably the maxx fan a bit.
GaryandEllen,

I agree that you will be pleasantly surprised. We stayed 6 nights in Blackwoods Campground last July and our batteries provided sufficient power throughout the stay (though I had similar concerns going in). It was the two of us and our pup, and we were careful in our power consumption but did not hesitate to make use of the max or vent fans or charge our USB devices. We didn't and had no need to use the inverter. We were in site A080, which had almost full shade; weather was a mix of sun and clouds. We have a 19' with the factory-installed 170 watt/dual 6 volt setup, which should be very similar to yours, and a 2018 trailer. The batteries kept up and (as noted) the solar did recharge them some each day with the bit of filtered light that came through the canopy. I can't remember how much was put back but they never got close to being down to 50%. We did need to haul freshwater from the bath house spigot to supplement our tank, which ran low.

We did not stay a the Schoodic campground though did visit. And while a visit to the Schoodic Peninsula was on our trip plan it was made all the more pleasurable by a couple who came by our site one day, introduced themselves, and invited us to visit them and their Escape 5.0TA at Schoodic! It was, and is still, the only Escape trailer we've ever seen in the wild. A very nice couple, and a very nice trailer, with several clever and innovative mods. Not too many Escapes here in Eastern US, though there are a few and numbers are growing.

I hope you enjoy your trip and your stay at Blackwoods. We found the previously noted book on Acadia helpful, and also really liked Moon's travel guide to Acadia National Park. Be sure to use the Park's free shuttle bus service, generously provided by LL Bean. It worked rather well for us, and they even let us bring our dog.

No pics of our site and set up to share (I usually try to take one but couldn't find it), so here's an iconic shot of Bass Harbor Head Light. It's a bit of a drive to the light, and when you are out that way you might want to take a late lunch, like we did, at Seafood Ketch nearby. The meal was excellent and the harbor view can't be beat.
---
John
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_8344.jpg   DSC_8326.jpg  
2Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Travelers View Post
GaryandEllen,

I agree that you will be pleasantly surprised. We stayed 6 nights in Blackwoods Campground last July and our batteries provided sufficient power throughout the stay (though I had similar concerns going in). It was the two of us and our pup, and we were careful in our power consumption but did not hesitate to make use of the max or vent fans or charge our USB devices. We didn't and had no need to use the inverter. We were in site A080
---
John
Wow, we booked a couple days ago and we booked site A80! Staying two night in Schoodic Woods.first then moving to Blackwoods for 3. Thanks for all the tips. Am especially glad to hear your pup could go in the shuttle. I'm going to make some notes on your suggestions. We are getting excited for this trip, for the scenery, people and the regional cuisine.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Now that is a real coincidence! The site was mostly gravel and had a slight front to back downhill slope, which was not bad for many of the sites in that area. We set the trailer in the center, set up our clam shelter behind, and the truck (also an F-150 ecoboost) fit crossways across the front. Lots of room between the sites. Washrooms were clean but, as you probably know, no showers. We took our showers in the trailer rather than going out to the local commercial site. Lots of roadside firewood stands on the way in, selling at reasonable prices. If you're planning a few campfires you might want to stop and get some as options are limited inside the park.

Schoodic is a very different campground, much newer and the vegetation hasn't quite grown up and in yet giving it a much more open and airy feeling. Your panels should get plenty of sun there, though you likely won't need it as you'll probably be in an electric site. Lots of space between sites there, too.

We were on lobster roll kick while in the area, sampling them at different shacks in that area and near Saco, ME, where we also camped. Our clear favorite was a small snack bar/seafood market run by Jones Lobster Company. They have two locations, one on Deer Isle (the one we did not make it to but the one which I take as the original) and one on route 1a, which we visited after leaving Acadia and were headed out to Bangor to pick up I95 south. Delicious, and an excellent way to wrap up our visit. Big open parking area with plenty of room for the truck and trailer.

Hope you have a wonderful trip and wish we were going back again this year. But it will be the mountains of North Carolina for us this summer.

-----
John
2Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:

We stayed in site 60 at Blackwoods for five nights in mid-Sept, 2018. There is a full canopy at most sites. With the sun being lower that time of year, we didn't receive much help from solar. Being conservative with electrical usage, we dropped about 12% every day for the first three days. Additional measures were taken to end just above 50%. We couldn't run the furnace for the last two nights. If the sun was higher, it might have been a little different.

Overall, that is a great park. The smells are incredible, and don't forget to watch the sunrise and attend a ranger-led event at night.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:26 AM   #18
Djs

Trailer: 2017 escape 17b
you will need some sun. also, take jumper cable with you. if your batteries go stone dead you panels won't start charging. Make sure your fridge is set to run on propane

Edited by moderator
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #19

Trailer: None
Quote:
Suggest you check with Escape as the US/Canadian Border is now closed to all traffic except commercial!
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My solar has my dual 6 volts 100% by 10 am daily, every day, even while towing. Your refer operates off propane as does your furnace with a 12v fan motor and your 12v pump and your lights. You should be fine with the stock set up. As far as pick up you may have to pick up in Sumas, WA at Bob's Burgers only, right now, as the border is closed for tourists.

Tags
solar