solar install on 21 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #81

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I don't see tilting panels in the picture. Our friends chose between two 100 watt tilting panels or three 100 watt fixed panels on their Airstream. They gambled and chose the three fixed panels. They've been to Arizona the last three winters and they've never run out of juice. Their camper came with an inverter, but now leave their 110 items at home because they rarely used them and wanted to free up the space.

This has been an interesting read.
I don't like that second panel up front directly in the airstream when traveling down the road.

Perry
Our only panel is mounted in the front. Reace did a perfect job, slanting it down to the front. Which does not affect airstream.
The reason we wanted it mounted in the front is, that backing your trailer into the campsite, the rear of the trailer mostly ends up in the trees.
So far never ran out of solar power.
Glad we did it this way!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0360.jpg  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #82

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I don't see tilting panels in the picture. Our friends chose between two 100 watt tilting panels or three 100 watt fixed panels on their Airstream. They gambled and chose the three fixed panels. They've been to Arizona the last three winters and they've never run out of juice. Their camper came with an inverter, but now leave their 110 items at home because they rarely used them and wanted to free up the space.

This has been an interesting read. We plan on only purchasing one panel, but will have extra connectors installed and a port for a portable. I don't like that second panel up front directly in the airstream when traveling down the road. Renogy makes narrow 90 watt panels that should fit further back. I also see a different controller in the future.

Enjoy

Perry
Or you could do it the way Jim Bennett and I did our's using flexible solar panels that are taped to the roof of the trailer. They don't stick up into the airstream at all.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00117-XL.jpg   Escape 21 solar.jpg  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I further modified the tilting system for my 2 160 watt panels so they can be tilted 3 directions, giving me more choices in the direction I park the trailer. No tracking system! Photos at my 21 Trailer Modifications page.

I still carry a 160 watt portable panel, but it is buried in the front of the truck & I hope to never need to dig it out. As to why all the solar, I use between 40 - 50 amp hours per day, and spend the winter in Quartzsite, dry camping for as long as 91 days. No 65" Flat Screen TV (in fact, no TV) but I do enjoy a real toaster, using the microwave, and a pot of drip coffee each day. Lots of camera & phone battery charging, a couple of cell phone amplifiers, etc. I pretty much live in the trailer 8 - 9 months of the year so creature comforts are important!

Tags
charging, electrical system, solar controller