Solar Pre-wire questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Send a message via MSN to ridinbarney Send a message via Yahoo to ridinbarney
Solar Pre-wire questions

Hello all you Escapee's

I have a new to me 2015 Escape 19 that has what I assume is the solar pre-wire coiled up inside of the cabinet over the stove on the end near the door.
I'd like to install one, 100 watt, solar panel on the roof.
Can I assume it is connected to the WFCO converter on the other end? I cant find that end of the wire.
How do most people get that wire outside, up onto the roof? I'd rather not drill holes in my roof.
There is vent on the roof right at the edge of the door (handle side) about 1' in from the edge. What is that for? Where do I find it on the interior.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help
ridinbarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
The current solar pre wire use a fitting like pictured. you could add on of these fitting . I think you need to find other end of wire. it could be just a 12 volt drop. if its a solar wire i would think it go to batteries or coiled under bench seat where controller would go. but it should not go to converter. If you find it does go to converter it is probably a 12 volt drop.

also if you want to add solar you will need a controller along with you panel. of course a portable panel is also a option
Attached Thumbnails
Solar MC4 Connector (2).jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:23 PM   #3

Understood about needing a controller. So, wiring from controller should go directly to the battery similar to my portable panel and should not go to controller?

If that is the case, I have the feeling that ETI simply ran the wire, leaving it loose on both ends, I just have to find the end near either the battery or under the dinette.

Please explain what is a 12 volt drop?

I'm just diving into all of this. Appreciate the information.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbarney View Post
Understood about needing a controller. So, wiring from controller should go directly to the battery similar to my portable panel and should not go to controller?

If that is the case, I have the feeling that ETI simply ran the wire, leaving it loose on both ends, I just have to find the end near either the battery or under the dinette.

For solar still has to go to controller before battery . I was just suggesting spots to look. some people order a 12 volt drop in case they want to add something down the road. In that case they would just coil wire up in the cabinet. wire size may help you a 12 volt drop would be 14ga or smaller and any pre wire solar should be at least 10ga . do you have the trailer build sheet? that may also list options added and it should be on that list. if dont have maybe ETI could get you a copy without the personal info on it. or at least confirm what was added
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbarney View Post

Sometimes it's hard to trace where the wires go - you can find one end but not the other.

I have used this to trace the wiring in my trailer and found it to be very useful.

https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Tester-C...578779&sr=8-15
Old 05-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 - 19
I actually have the same set up on my 2013 and I called ETI. The panel/controller end is coiled up inside the upper cabinet over sink - just like yours. The other end is attached to the 30amp auto reset breaker but not connected to the line in from the battery. There is a jumper there to connect to the battery Via the other auto reset breaker (50AMp?)and the ground is tied in with the rest of the grounds at the back of the converter. Their set up would have the panel wires enter above the sink connect to the charge controller there and then the existing wires would then supply the battery from there. I’m going a different route with 3 80W Lensun panels in parallel entering with a gopower cable entry to the charge controller mounted under the drivers dinette bench. Shorter runs and a cleaner install with the plate.
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #7

Ah, thanks. Yes, that makes sense. I'm going to go a similar route and add one or two panels on the roof. I'm thinking I'll put one of those wire entry ports on the roof, in the front, driver side corner, go into that wierd little bulkhead/cavity at the end of the upper cab, then drop the 10 ga wire down that corner trim to a charge controller under the seat. I have a 100 w Renogy Suitcase which has it's own charge controller, also and it works really well. I might run both through the new MWPPT charge controller. under the dinette seat. From there, drop through the floor, and back up into the battery in the storage box. Just gotta figure out where to put the new battery monitor display. Thanks, Clem
Old 05-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #8

What is the sealant product

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
The current solar pre wire use a fitting like pictured. you could add on of these fitting . I think you need to find other end of wire. it could be just a 12 volt drop. if its a solar wire i would think it go to batteries or coiled under bench seat where controller would go. but it should not go to converter. If you find it does go to converter it is probably a 12 volt drop.

also if you want to add solar you will need a controller along with you panel. of course a portable panel is also a option
Anyone know what the white sealant around the plate is? What should I use when installing my own aftermarket one? Thanks!
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I am just involved with my wiring on a 2017 E19 without solar prewire. My plan is to not go flexible and instead mount rack rails at rear roof to mount rigid panel(s). Still need to figure on route for wiring to driver's side dinette controller site. Right now I'll prewire dinette box to batteries.

I am upgrading size of main electrical to 6 AWG and routing to new Blue Seas main switch on to converter. All will be 6 AWG. Maxi Fuse 60amp at batteries. From batteries I have 2 blue seas terminal blocks from my boating days. I thought I could run all grounds to negative block and install a positive block going to main switch then there install the Escape 50amp thermal breaker on to converter.

Question for solar it to go directly to batteries from yet to be installed controller or utilize the dinette located pos/neg terminal blocks that run directly to batteries less than 3' away wired with the 6 AWG? I could fuse solar controller wire at positive power terminal block located in dinette.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #10

I don’t know what the white sealant around the plate in the post is but according to ETI Parts and Service they use Proflex. I have a tube of Proflex and Dicor Lap sealant. I may just mix them together
Old 05-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Dicor self leveling sealant . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #12

Does ETI use Dicor Lap Sealant?
Old 05-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembyescape View Post
Does ETI use Dicor Lap Sealant?
Yes they did on everything on our roof vents including the fantastic fan . Pat
Old 05-18-2020, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yes they did on everything on our roof vents including the fantastic fan . Pat
I used on our roof solar and when I installed replacement bath fan kit from 9 in vent that Escape had installed . Pat
Old 05-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #15

Excellent. That is what ill use too. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Dicor for horizontal surfaces, Proflex for verticals.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
I am just involved with my wiring on a 2017 E19 without solar prewire. My plan is to not go flexible and instead mount rack rails at rear roof to mount rigid panel(s). Still need to figure on route for wiring to driver's side dinette controller site. Right now I'll prewire dinette box to batteries.

I am upgrading size of main electrical to 6 AWG and routing to new Blue Seas main switch on to converter. All will be 6 AWG. Maxi Fuse 60amp at batteries. From batteries I have 2 blue seas terminal blocks from my boating days. I thought I could run all grounds to negative block and install a positive block going to main switch then there install the Escape 50amp thermal breaker on to converter.

Question for solar it to go directly to batteries from yet to be installed controller or utilize the dinette located pos/neg terminal blocks that run directly to batteries less than 3' away wired with the 6 AWG? I could fuse solar controller wire at positive power terminal block located in dinette.
I did my own solar with none flexible panels installed on a roof rack, you can see my install in the link below. I ordered my trailer with the solar prep so I had it a bit easier not having to install ports on the roof and pull wires. I did install the solar controller under the bench on the driver side where the converter is installed and the battery wires are entered into the trailer. You can connect the solar controller output directly to the battery at this area (preferably through a breaker/fuse, Escape includes a 30amp fuse for the solar setup as part of the solar prep).

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-15925.html
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:24 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I have a 2016 Escape 19 with prewire option and mine goes from the refrigerator vent to the driver side front bench area where all the other electrical components are. I haven’t utilized it since at the present time I am mounting two Renogy 100 watt panels on the canopy of my Tacoma. The panels will tilt in all four directions. I also have a portable 100 watt Renogy suitcase without controller.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I did my own solar with none flexible panels installed on a roof rack, you can see my install in the link below. I ordered my trailer with the solar prep so I had it a bit easier not having to install ports on the roof and pull wires. I did install the solar controller under the bench on the driver side where the converter is installed and the battery wires are entered into the trailer. You can connect the solar controller output directly to the battery at this area (preferably through a breaker/fuse, Escape includes a 30amp fuse for the solar setup as part of the solar prep).
I am considering your rack mount approach. Can you specify the location of rack feet on roof and even better inches outboard from roof shell riser and aft/forward separation? Probably best to drill pilot from inside cabinet if possible?

The one pic with foam liner peeled back showing plywood, is this inside cabinet and did you manage to secure any bolts in plywood or are they pan washers on roof shell?

Where is your wires entering trailer and route to dinette?
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Dicor for horizontal surfaces, Proflex for verticals.
Thank you for this information Bob