Soneil’s SiO2 Batteries - Somebody Has To Try Them! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #21

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or listen, apparently.
Oh, I'm listening. You should try it sometime.

Perry
Old 02-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Brian B-P, Big Swede, and Tin, you've said nothing I didn't know or wonder about.

It's my money, not yours. If the batteries crap out I can lose $1,000. I know that and will report it here. I don't know what else to say. I'm not here to argue.

Perry

I think what you said here is "shut up".
Old 02-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I am surprised at the member comments regarding Perry's venture to different technology. I thought he explained his risk taking nature quite well. It appears that not everyone could appreciate or understand his rationale. While it is good to discuss his decision it is also good to do so in a positive manner. There is not the need to shoot the messenger.

Apparently no one has any experience with these batteries. At least so far. I am anxious to hear of his experience and await hearing from others.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I applaud someone who's willing to be first. We'll all learn from Perry's experience, good or bad. It's his money and his risk. Fortunately this first isn't like doing something dangerous that could put others at risk, like towing a stupid amount of weight with a less-than capable tow vehicle.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #25

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Or listen, apparently.
Perhaps you missed reading the part where he said he'd already plunked down the money for those batteries. What's done is done. Anyone who tries to talk him out of the purchase is spitting into the wind, and anyone who ridicules his purchase decision is IMO being unmannerly.
(Critiquing the product is fine, however.)
Old 02-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #26

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I am surprised at the member comments regarding Perry's venture to different technology. I thought he explained his risk taking nature quite well. It appears that not everyone could appreciate or understand his rationale. While it is good to discuss his decision it is also good to do so in a positive manner. There is not the need to shoot the messenger.

Apparently no one has any experience with these batteries. At least so far. I am anxious to hear of his experience and await hearing from others.
X2. BTW, I have to ask, have you named your trailer? If not, have you thought about calling it "Braun-out" or "Brown-out"? It just came to me. You know, when the Brauns are out camping...
Old 02-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Speaking for myself only: I admire anyone willing to try something risky and report back with information that might help the community. I for one have jumped without looking at all the ramifications of my actions, with no harm done except to my credit card.

Go for it, Perry!
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #28

An interesting review from an actual owner.

A search for SiO2 on RV.net.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I'm not here to argue.
Neither am I. I just thought that this was a forum for discussion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 & 2014 RAM EcoDiesel
Thanks for those two links Perry, very good info there, i actually learnt a lot.
canakiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 15A
I wasn't arguing against Perry's experiment, just wanted to clarify the implied eco-friendliness of SiO2 batteries.

Their cold weather performance will be interesting, as I live in Minnesota.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I wasn't arguing against Perry's experiment, just wanted to clarify the implied eco-friendliness of SiO2 batteries.

Their cold weather performance will be interesting, as I live in Minnesota.
Indeed, as far as I can tell from all the reading I've done on the quote sio2 batteries, they're just AGMs rebranded. the absorbed glass mat in an AGM battery is in fact glass which is primarily silicon dioxide, Si 02
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Indeed, as far as I can tell from all the reading I've done on the quote sio2 batteries, they're just AGMs rebranded. the absorbed glass mat in an AGM battery is in fact glass which is primarily silicon dioxide, Si 02
If they were “just AGMs rebranded” I wouldn’t be buying them. I suggest you read my posts again and do more research. For instance, my AGM’s had 110 useable ah’s at 50% DOD (220 * 50%) and the SiO2’s I’m purchasing have 130 useable ah’s (260 * 50%), but they can go to 80% DOD, providing 208 useable ah’s, and still have a 1500 cycle life. How long will other lead batteries go down to to 80% DOD before dying? But I explained many more reasons in my previous posts. If those reasons don’t apply to you then you need to look elsewhere for batteries.

As an addendum to my above reasoning, these are lead batteries. The SiO2’s are replacing our previous AGM’s so it’s basically a wash for weight. Weight is not an issue for us, since we don’t haul the proverbial kitchen sink. YMMV.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Neither am I. I just thought that this was a forum for discussion.
You’re correct! I apologize for including you in that post.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #35

Trailer: 2019 E19
I applaud Perry for putting his money where his mouth is. There are any number of technical articles (not Wikianything) that look at the electrochemical storage capacity of these batteries. Field testing will tell the tale. Thanks Perry!
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #36

For reference, an interesting AGM Data Sheet from Trojan.

Compare the DOD of Trojans to the theoretical DOD of Soniel SiO2’s. Notice I wrote “theoretical”.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My AGMs are only 5 years old so have a good bit of life left in them, but when I do replace them will likely move to something else. I look forward to hearing the results of you battery quest, Perry.

We do get cold here, but have fortunately come out of the deep freeze we were in with overnight lows of -35°C and a couple highs only up to -25°C. Don't want batteries that don't like the cold.

Tesla has been working with Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia in battery development. It sounds like they are addressing the cold temperature problems as one of their focuses.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:33 PM   #38
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Brian B-P, Big Swede, and Tin, you've said nothing I didn't know or wonder about.

It's my money, not yours. If the batteries crap out I can lose $1,000. I know that and will report it here. I don't know what else to say. I'm not here to argue.

Perry
Perry I have no desire to argue with you and I understand you already bought these batteries. I only wanted to point out IMO this is a long running battery scam and I would hate to see others lose there hard earned money. good luck with your new agm batteries.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:15 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Since our Crown AGM batteries are failing we need new batteries. My knowledge of batteries is much greater today than 2 ½ years ago when we ordered our Crown AGM 220 ah 6 volt batteries.
Enjoy,

Perry
Perry,
I may be mistaken, but I thought the Crown AGM Bateries had a three year replacement warranty. If that is true maybe you could get them replaced under warranty.
Cody
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Perry,
I may be mistaken, but I thought the Crown AGM Bateries had a three year replacement warranty. If that is true maybe you could get them replaced under warranty.
Cody
I contacted Crown and they have a one year warranty. It has been two years since we got our replacement batteries and 2 years 4 months since we purchased the originals. Some distributors can give a longer warranty, but Crowns warranty is one year.

According to UPS tracking the SiO2’s are in Goodyear, Arizona, and should arrive in Tucson tomorrow. Our intention is to pick them up and install them on Friday. On Saturday we head to Cochise Stronhold where they have new BLM type sites. We’ll orientate our 170 watt rooftop panel to the south and put out our 100 watt portable to top off the batteries. Unfortunately for the month of March we’ll be trying an RV resort in Apache Junction, so won’t need the batteries till April. However, we’ll probably go for a week or so at the resort without plugging in to give the batteries a few cycles.

Enjoy,

Perry