Starlink - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
blue_bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fortine, Montana
Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post

I just remember all of the years we spent traveling in the 60’s-80’s with one group 24 12v battery in the trailer hanging out in national forests for weeks at a time in the summer. Electricity was never an issue.
I remember as a kid in Juneau in the late 50's early 60's listening to KJNO and KINY AM stations on my crystal radio shaped like Elon Musk's rockets. The power source was an alligator clip attached to my bedsprings. Alaska Coastal Airlines (long gone) Grumman Geese would break up the program I was listening to as they would radio when landing in Gastineau Channel.

Those were the days, some before Statehood.

To stay on topic Starlink is out for me. Too many big trees in the way according to the Starlink app on my phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tarlink.mobile
I'll keep the trees.
__________________
Rob
(You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely. ― Ogden Nash)
blue_bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
RangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Kenedy County, Texas
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndNeitherDoI View Post
The veering off of posts like these responses is the most frustrating and unhelpful part of this forum. I get it if you don't want to do much when you're boondocking. It would be much better served to have your own thread to complain somewhere else on the forum.


Back to Starlink, I too got the invite after signing up for it and have not gone through with it. $100/month would be fantastic for mobile internet that fast. But there are two things I'm interested in finding that answer to:
1. How much data are you allowed to use?
2. How much power does the equipment require?

Sure would love to know if it can run without an inverter but we'll have to wait longer to find out. But it will certainly be a game-changer for working on the road.
You will just have to live with it. A thread will begin drifting very quickly and after 20 or so some will bear no resemblance to the original post.
__________________
Putting a smoke detector in my chimney wasn't such a good idea.
RangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #43
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think whether or not inter-satellite links are implemented will matter to mobile service..
the intersatellite links will improve the total throughput of the system, allowing more active users. without them, they would need far too many ground stations.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Posts: 1,196
Just an expression of the magnitude of interest - I have been quite seriously exploring installing WeBoost RV65, spending time researching the installation process, having added some modifications into our Escape 5, and so on.

After researching Starlink, I have put my plans for WeBoost on hold. Starlink timeframe is unclear (first part of 2022?) and cost is not insubstantial. But, its potential for seriously expanding our camping time while continuing to meet our professional needs is very large.

With that, I am shelving our plans for RV65 - which costs around $700. In addition, it will likely cost us around $500 to install (as we are simply not up to the task). That no longer makes for one summer of use.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the intersatellite links will improve the total throughput of the system, allowing more active users. without them, they would need far too many ground stations.
Sure, but whether those users are at home or across the continent is irrelevant to this issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:00 PM   #46
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sure, but whether those users are at home or across the continent is irrelevant to this issue.
without having sat to sat relay, then every sat has to be in contact with a ground station to provide service, which would require a network of 1000s and 1000s of ground stations to cover the whole US. with the current 'fixed location only', they only need to provide ground stations where they choose to have customers.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Posts: 5,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
...I am shelving our plans for RV65 - which costs around $700. In addition, it will likely cost us around $500 to install (as we are simply not up to the task). That no longer makes for one summer of use.
You should look at the WeBoost Drive Reach instead with OTR antenna. It could be a very simple install as well(have done it). If you've driven around lately you see the OTR's very visible on lots of RV's lately. That's because it is that good and when paired with their new Drive Reach amp it is probably the best cell booster on the market.
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Posts: 1,196
Thanks, Rossue! We will think about it but our abilities with modification/installation are very minimal, so is the time we can devote to it. So, we have to find help for everything. We have some things planned, but it will depend upon who we find and what makes it to the top.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
without having sat to sat relay, then every sat has to be in contact with a ground station to provide service, which would require a network of 1000s and 1000s of ground stations to cover the whole US. with the current 'fixed location only', they only need to provide ground stations where they choose to have customers.
Ground station coverage radius is hundreds of kilometres, so covered area is not just a patchwork of little areas where there are concentrations of fixed subscribers - all of the United States within the target latitude is already covered without inter-satellite links. Travellers are unlikely to go outside of the overall coverage area, and if they do go somewhere particularly remote (such as some of the arctic) they could just lose service.

Mobile service is a matter of configuring satellites to provide service to a terminal close enough to any ground station regardless of whether or not it is in its home area, rather than having a ground station available at all.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:01 AM   #50
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Ground station coverage radius is hundreds of kilometres, so covered area is not just a patchwork of little areas where there are concentrations of fixed subscribers - all of the United States within the target latitude is already covered without inter-satellite links. Travellers are unlikely to go outside of the overall coverage area, and if they do go somewhere particularly remote (such as some of the arctic) they could just lose service.

Mobile service is a matter of configuring satellites to provide service to a terminal close enough to any ground station regardless of whether or not it is in its home area, rather than having a ground station available at all.
100s of kilometers of the USA doesn't even have the sorts of high speed internet a ground station would need to link up to the net.

The USA (continental only) is about 4200 by 2200 km. so lets be generous and say a hexagonal grid of ground stations every 200km (I think they need to be closer, as they will have issues communicating with satellites that are too low in the sky), so thats about 20 x 11 or 220 ground stations, so k, I had some poetic license when I said 1000s. if one of these 200km circles (32000 km^2) has 5000 users in it (darn low population density), and those users expect 100Mbit/sec sustained internet speeds, and we go with a hah hah 10% of the users are active at peak, thats 500 * 100Mbps == 50Gbps internet one of those base stations will need. of course, in an area like the eastern seaboard, or the greater SF Bay Area, there's going to be millions of users.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:06 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Port Moody, British Columbia
Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Posts: 162
A little salty, but how can you not laugh?


LOL! THANK YOU for the best chuckle of my day (and I do love my solar panels )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
You hit the nail on the head! Most of this forum is about how much electricity can I stuff into my trailer so I can go boondocking.

I have a generator, but got a bigger one so I can run the air conditioner. Then I added a third that runs on propane just in case.

Solar panels? The roof is paved with them. Then I added tilting panels and now sliders to double up. And a pack of portables in case, heaven forbid, I end up boondocking under a tree.

I added a thick cable to run from alternators 2 and 3 in my truck back to the trailer to boost the charge. And I bought an old Tesla so I could tear up the trailer floor and lay in a wall to wall bank of batteries.

I added enough chargers, shunts, inverters, outlets, control panels, and backup systems to rival the space program. I had to upgrade my phone just to handle all the apps.

Now Im looking at wind power, even if I only use it while Im driving down the highway it should be worth it. And, of course, hydropower. You never know when you might boondock next to a nice little babbling brook.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
100s of kilometers of the USA doesn't even have the sorts of high speed internet a ground station would need to link up to the net.

The USA (continental only) is about 4200 by 2200 km. so lets be generous and say a hexagonal grid of ground stations every 200km (I think they need to be closer, as they will have issues communicating with satellites that are too low in the sky), so thats about 20 x 11 or 220 ground stations, so k, I had some poetic license when I said 1000s. if one of these 200km circles (32000 km^2) has 5000 users in it (darn low population density), and those users expect 100Mbit/sec sustained internet speeds, and we go with a hah hah 10% of the users are active at peak, thats 500 * 100Mbps == 50Gbps internet one of those base stations will need. of course, in an area like the eastern seaboard, or the greater SF Bay Area, there's going to be millions of users.
But Starlink already has ground stations in most states (most of which are too small to need more than one). It doesn't matter if a particular point is 200 km from a good fibre connection if there is a ground station where that connection is available. Based on a Starlink enthusiast's map (based on regulator filings) the point in the lower 48 states which appears to be furthest from ground stations - midway along the west border of Nebraska - is several hundred kilometres from any ground station (which is not good)... but so is Denver. Denver has internet, right? They're a few ground stations (likely including one in Denver) from being able to offer service everywhere in lower 48; Canadian ground stations are lagging behind. Despite the huge number of satellites in orbit, there are only a few dozen over North America at any moment (as is apparent in a live map), and they are really only covering latitudes north of Denver, so ground stations from about there and south would not be the priority.

I was offered service, and it appears that there are no ground stations in western Canada - the closest one to my home would be in Montana, 600 km away.

The entire Starlink system is based on serving customers who do not have any other high-speed option. The vast majority of campgrounds are in the locations that Starlink exists to serve - rural but inhabited.

Starlink could be completely unavailable to everyone in the Greater San Francisco Bay area and it would affect no target customers - they can all get fibre or something wired instead. If a densely populated area is overloaded, I can see blocking travelling users... but it would make even more sense to decline customers who are based in locations where Starlink is not the appropriate service to use.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:43 PM   #53
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,316
many parts of the bay area get one or more of AT&T ADSL at max 7Mbps/768k, and/or Comcast Xfinity at really high download, but max 5-18Mbps uplink (depending on the service) AND a 2TB/month cap which you can run into in a blink at 700Mbps..
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
gklott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Johnson City, Texas
Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The Starlink Internet network is now taking subscribers on a limited basis. Has anyone signed up yet?
Yes, signed up Feb 10.

73/gus
__________________
Mary & Gus
K5MCL & KR4K
2019 E19' (F1), Mercedes Sprinter 2500 or GLS580
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #55
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,182
Technomadia just shared a Starlink link on their Facebook page, if you're interested.


https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/sta...pect-and-when/
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #56
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,316
I noticed Elon was talking about Starlink for RVs a few days ago, so they are working on it, just need more coverage first.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/elon...atellites.html
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:49 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I noticed Elon was talking about Starlink for RVs a few days ago, so they are working on it, just need more coverage first.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/elon...atellites.html
That's for full in-motion functionality; just allowing users to take their normal terminals to different places is a substantial step easier.

Hopefully they're not considering the current terminal design for mobile use. It mechanically tilts the antenna to about the right direction, then electronically steers the bean (using a phased array of antenna elements) to track the satellite. A reasonable mobile antenna would be mechanically fixed flat on the roof, tracking only electronically, and larger to make up for the less-than-optimal orientation... but that's not needed for stationary use on random locations.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #58
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,316
i suspect they are assuming that travelers would rather not setup a tripod terminal, and just have it working as part of the RV whether its moving or not. a local wifi hotspot for your portable devices, and there ya go, wherever you are.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:06 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i suspect they are assuming that travelers would rather not setup a tripod terminal, and just have it working as part of the RV whether its moving or not. a local wifi hotspot for your portable devices, and there ya go, wherever you are.
Yes, that would be more convenient, but since there is no manual setup of a Starlink terminal it's no big deal to toss it out while setting up camp, and no need to wait for the fully mobile solution. I suspect that much of the appeal for many RV owners of mobile operation would be having high-speed internet access while moving, hopefully (but unfortunately not always) for the passengers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:21 AM   #60
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,316
not sure I'd want to leave a $500 star link terminal just sitting around my camp, a little too portable.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.