Steps for changing from lead acid to lithium? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2023, 10:54 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Steps for changing from lead acid to lithium?

Hi all,

We are expecting our E19 to be finished in late June. We are close to signing off!

I am seriously considering the "lithium ready" option so I can switch over to a single 206 Ah SOK battery and save some serious moeny. We are getting a single solar panel (and the solar port), and we are not getting an inverter but if we ever did, we would likely add a second battery too.

I'm sure there is guidance on here somewhere, but I was unable to find it. Can someone tell me if I am even close with the steps for switching over from the lead acid battery to the SOK battery?
  • Disconnect the solar panels from charge controller
  • Disconnect/remove battery
  • Secure SOK battery to floor (I'm thinking with D-ring anchors and a lashing strap, but I'm open to better ideas)
  • Change settings in Victron app so it knows that there is a lithium battery now (I'm not sure exactly what this entails, but I imagine it is straightforward. Are there multiple place to do this? Any tips?)
  • Connect SOK battery
  • Reconnect solar panels to charge controller

Am I missing anything?

My biggest question is whether the wires will be long enough for the SOK battery? I imagine they will be, but since I haven't seen either battery in person, I am not sure.

Feel free to link any helpful threads if they are easy to find.

Thanks!
VB434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB434 View Post
Hi all,

We are expecting our E19 to be finished in late June. We are close to signing off!

I am seriously considering the "lithium ready" option so I can switch over to a single 206 Ah SOK battery and save some serious moeny. We are getting a single solar panel (and the solar port), and we are not getting an inverter but if we ever did, we would likely add a second battery too.

I'm sure there is guidance on here somewhere, but I was unable to find it. Can someone tell me if I am even close with the steps for switching over from the lead acid battery to the SOK battery?
  • Disconnect the solar panels from charge controller
  • j
    Disconnect/remove battery
  • Secure SOK battery to floor (I'm thinking with D-ring anchors and a lashing strap, but I'm open to better ideas)
  • Change settings in Victron app so it knows that there is a lithium battery now (I'm not sure exactly what this entails, but I imagine it is straightforward. Are there multiple place to do this? Any tips?)
  • Connect SOK battery
  • Reconnect solar panels to charge controller

Am I missing anything?

My biggest question is whether the wires will be long enough for the SOK battery? I imagine they will be, but since I haven't seen either battery in person, I am not sure.

Feel free to link any helpful threads if they are easy to find.

Thanks!
Current Connected has the settings for the SOK batteries and the Victron MPPT and Smart Shunt available on their website. https://www.currentconnected.com/ When I picked up my trailer I set them on the spot. Also SOK will have the battery dimensions on their website, I had my machine shop make a custom bracket with slots for my tie downs, but your reasoning is sound straps and a d ring will be fine. Bear in mind that the SOKs and any good Lithium battery will stop charging at 32 F if you are cold weather camping, if it’s just an occasional occurrence then they make a heated battery. If it’s serious cold weather relocation inside (what I did) is advisable. While my trailer is no longer an Escape, the concepts are the same. You will get different options on the need for dc to dc charger for the truck charging through the alternator, I opted for the cautious approach and installed an 18 amp Victron, if you go to the 30 amp you will most certainly need to run a dedicated line from the truck battery system connected with Andersen connectors.

Hope. This helps a little , I have two 206 ah SOK, so far they are working well. The other advice is to up the fuse protection from the battery, on post battery fuse system would work well, Explorist life youtube channel had a segment on fuses, when you go to an inverter beefy cables (2/0 or bigger) and a class T fuse is the best protection . Lots of people on this forum have done documented installs with sub panels etc.

I opted to replace my stock converter with a Victron transfer switch, charger and converter all in one , certainly more complex than a simple inverter install.

Again more specific Escape 19 advice is available on this forum (my inverter install on my last Escape was a 21 with flooded batteries).
Good luck and congrats on your upcoming trailer.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:41 AM   #3

Trailer: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Bear in mind that the SOKs and any good Lithium battery will stop charging at 32 F if you are cold weather camping, if it’s just an occasional occurrence then they make a heated battery. If it’s serious cold weather relocation inside (what I did) is advisable.
I believe they are putting them inside now, but I have asked Escape so I can double check. I am in AK so this does matter. In the winter, I'll bring the batteries inside of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
The other advice is to up the fuse protection from the battery, on post battery fuse system would work well, Explorist life youtube channel had a segment on fuses, when you go to an inverter beefy cables (2/0 or bigger) and a class T fuse is the best protection . Lots of people on this forum have done documented installs with sub panels etc.
I will look into this more -- thanks!
VB434 is offline   Reply With Quote