Suburban water heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Suburban water heater

I have a problem with my sw6d suburban propane water water heater will not ignite consistently. Most of the time nothing happens but when the flt light comes on and I can hear the whosh of propane it does heat up but does not continue to stay hot with the light on. I can also hear a continual popping sound.

Any trouble shooting help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glens View Post

Any trouble shooting help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
Sorry to hear about your hot water heater troubles. Assuming your propane tanks are turned on and have fuel, because you say it is not consistent or is an 'intermittent' problem, perhaps it could be an issue with your propane tank regulator?? Maybe the pressure needs to be adjusted or it could be malfunctioning and needs to be replaced?? Until others here respond, this could be one place to check?? Just a thought...

The same 'inconsistent' symptoms occurred when we operated our refrigerator on gas in the beginning. After a few hours, sometimes the 'check' light would come on and stop cooling. All it needed was a propane regulator adjustment, then all was good. Best of luck with this fix. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Had similar issue. Reace used a pair of pliers to move the igniter a fraction of an inch closer to the gas. I wasn't watching, unfortunately, so that's all I can offer.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
It could be lots of things.

Three remedies that have worked for me:

1. Spiders can make cobwebs in the burner tube. Remove any with a bottle brush or compressed air.

2. For intermittent faults, adjust the igniter as Glenn suggests. I did this with our Escape 19 using the recommended spacing from the attached Suburban service manual diagram.

3. For intermittent faults in the Suburban water heater in our then 12-year-old Born Free motorhome, I tried lots of things but what finally fixed it was replacing the igniter board with a Dinosaur board (uibs). This is unlikely to be necessary with a relatively new water heater, but if the board is bad, I'd replace it with a Dinosaur rather than the Suburban.

Bill R
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SuburbanSWdiagram.pdf (222.3 KB, 18 views)
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I decided to drop it off at a suburban dealer since its still under warranty. I will let you know what the problem was when I pick the unit up. Thanks for all your assistance.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote