Tank capacities - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #161

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Wrestled with this issue. Had a Bigfoot pickup camper with 50 gallons fresh water and only 14 gallons grey. I have a wheeled 10 gallon blue jug, but not tow hitch. The key is, it has a float level gauge. I know when that float gets about 3/4 up, it’s time to stop so there is room for what’s in the hose. That’s my system. I don’t like wrestling 85lbs into the back of the truck, but I can still do it if I have too.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #162

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I presume when it spills, the expletive is OH S%!#
Old 07-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #163

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Too funny. I can picture it happening.
Unfortunately, I can remember it happening. Long enough ago that I can laugh about it now.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
The very reason to use the "see through" attachment, but still imagine that would get messy as there would be no gray water to flush it out.
The problem is that even with a clear fitting it would be hard to see into the portable tank, so the clear part would mostly just let you know exactly what is going to spill out.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
Ideally one would have a portable black larger than the 13.2 gallon in the 21NE and just empty it when full and follow with a few gallons of water. So you have a clean hose to put back. The Barker 16 gallon portable tank could work.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
But then as people have mentioned you are lifting 130lbs or so into the back of a truck...
If you're just taking the portable tank to a dump site within the campground, you don't have to load it into a vehicle when full. Many of them are designed to be towed (at a walking speed) on their own wheels behind a vehicle as a tiny trailer, and between uses the empty (and therefore light) tank is carried on a bracket on the outside of the trailer (normally the back, and often attached to the ladder which larger RVs often have).
Old 07-30-2021, 09:43 PM   #166

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I presume when it spills, the expletive is OH S%!#
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 03:27 PM   #167

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I crawled under my 21 NE to check things out and noticed that to clear the angle iron frame that surrounds the grey tank, the drain line from the shower and bath sink p trap enters the side of the grey tank about 3” below the tank top (to the top of the drain line).

This means that the tank will start backing up into the shower when it reaches around 2/3 full, or approximately 18 gallons. This gibes with my experience using my 28 gallon wheeled waste tote.

If the shower drain were located directly in front of the toilet, the waste could enter the top of the tank, increasing the capacity, however that’s not the case.

So for my E21NE, I’d put capacities at:
Fresh: 28 gal
Grey: 18 gal
Black: 12 gal

No wonder I need to dump the grey so often…I thought we just used too much water when showering. But it’s all good, now that I know why.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 04:27 PM   #168

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I crawled under my 21 NE to check things out and noticed that to clear the angle iron frame that surrounds the grey tank, the drain line from the shower and bath sink p trap enters the side of the grey tank about 3” below the tank top (to the top of the drain line).

This means that the tank will start backing up into the shower when it reaches around 2/3 full, or approximately 18 gallons. This gibes with my experience using my 28 gallon wheeled waste tote.

If the shower drain were located directly in front of the toilet, the waste could enter the top of the tank, increasing the capacity, however that’s not the case.

No wonder I need to dump the grey so often…I thought we just used too much water when showering. But it’s all good, now that I know why.
I wonder if the 19 is that way? mine is foamed over so everything is out of sight.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:22 PM   #169

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes the shower and sink drain enter the grey tank under the angle support in the 19 so it also is 2 to 3 inches below the top of the tank.
However the tank is vented through the top which lets the air out of the top of the tank and there is no reason why water will not fill right to the top.
Below are a few pictures taken by someone else of the 19 vent pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
6B184051-85AD-40D6-8385-EAF00373B1A8.jpg   DA81B763-5A9C-4230-B043-4F7E334BEE54.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 12:57 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I wonder if the 19 is that way? mine is foamed over so everything is out of sight.
This is what it looks like under the shower of a 2018 - 19.
Attached Thumbnails
76EAAB12-1E3C-4476-9D62-3B7EDB27C430.jpg  

Old 02-16-2023, 05:08 AM   #171

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Yes the shower and sink drain enter the grey tank under the angle support in the 19 so it also is 2 to 3 inches below the top of the tank.
However the tank is vented through the top which lets the air out of the top of the tank and there is no reason why water will not fill right to the top.
Below are a few pictures taken by someone else of the 19 vent pipe.
Eggscape is correct as long as the tank is vented and the shower drain is above the tank (it is) it doesn't matter where the pipe enters the tank. Water seeks its own level. The pipe could come in on the bottom of the tank and as long as the tank is vented the tank will fill up.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:15 PM   #172

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Interesting…but I’ve had my shower backing up and then have dumped both black and grey into my 28 gal wheeled tote without overflowing it. Guess a measured test is in order.

Another peeve is that there is a ‘bulge’ low spot in the tank bottom that must hold a gallon or so that won’t drain - also due to the location of the side drain coupling (the bottom of the drain line is above the bottom of the tank). I’d hate to see what’s in there!

Also, I seem to remember someone swapping the 1.5” grey waste drain for a larger (3”?) line to speed up the s-l-o-w drain time, but that seems like a nasty job that I’ll probably never do…now that I think of this all, a blocked or partially blocked vent could be the culprit for low capacity and slow drain time. Hmmm.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:20 PM   #173

I also don’t like the bulge in the bottom of both tanks…not it has been a problem.

Later this year I hope to post my multi purpose solution.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:30 PM   #174

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
No way I would take the risk of black tank being stored inside the living area of a trailer.
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:54 PM   #175

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
No way I would take the risk of black tank being stored inside the living area of a trailer.
don't all escapes have the black tank inside?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:56 PM   #176

Yes the black tank in a 21 extends inside your trailer under your pillow.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:37 PM   #177
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Your profile states " 2014 21' Escape" and you're unaware you sleep on top of the black tank that's right under your bed?

I think most all-molded towables have the black tank inside. AT least the brands that use a marine toilet....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:39 PM   #178

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Also, I seem to remember someone swapping the 1.5” grey waste drain for a larger (3”?) line to speed up the s-l-o-w drain time, but that seems like a nasty job that I’ll probably never do…now that I think of this all, a blocked or partially blocked vent could be the culprit for low capacity and slow drain time. Hmmm.
It's a diminishing return as it drains below the diameter of the drain pipe. It approaches infinity at the slowest which is why I long ago gave up waiting for every last drop to drain.

Many dumps are poorly graded. We routinely stop a foot short, Throw two short blocks ahead of the outboard wheels and pull up on them. The time to do that is more than made up by much quicker draining.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:50 PM   #179

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Many dumps are poorly graded. We routinely stop a foot short, Throw two short blocks ahead of the outboard wheels and pull up on them. The time to do that is more than made up by much quicker draining.

Ron
We do the same with our Andersen levelers. It works.
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
don't all escapes have the black tank inside?
Yes, every Escape black tank sits on top of the floor, under the toilet and extending into an adjacent interior cabinet. And yes, that's a common practice, especially in trailers that were originally designed to have a low floor (which means most moulded fiberglass trailers).