Tip - Map what's Really on your breakers and fuses - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Tip - Map what's Really on your breakers and fuses

YMMV but perhaps you, too, would find it interesting (and perhaps someday helpful) to trace and document what's Really on your WFCO power center's AC Breakers and DC Fuses. Those hastily scrawled labels on your panel may be confusing if not outright incorrect.

Note that my 5.0 as delivered has no standard MaxxFans, no standard exterior AC outlet, no air conditioner, and no optional lights or outlets. Here's what I found:
Attached Thumbnails
AS BUILT AC-DC DISTRIBUTION.jpg  
Old 09-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
YMMV but perhaps you, too, would find it interesting (and perhaps someday helpful) to trace and document what's Really on your WFCO power center's AC Breakers and DC Fuses. Those hastily scrawled labels on your panel may be confusing if not outright incorrect.

Note that my 5.0 as delivered has no standard MaxxFans, no standard exterior AC outlet, no air conditioner, and no optional lights or outlets. Here's what I found:

Your AC appliance bank appears to approach being 100% incorrectly labeled. Just..wow.

I know what I'll be doing for my Escape in the morning. Thanks for the heads up.

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

Your load distribution doesn't look too bad - with maybe the exception of the 120v breakers. Escape definitely missed the boat with the labeling.

Escape has done this in the past as well - my breakers/fuses didn't match their services either. Also, after tracing the circuits out, I wasn't happy with the load distribution and rewired the whole mess. That's partly why my electrical schematic shows 8 fuses vs your 5 and 9 breakers vs your 5.

The wiring that ran through the ceiling under the vinyl was one area I couldn't do much about (fuse 7). If I turn on the Maxxfan while the bath fan is running, pop goes the fuse.

Just a note for those of you that have the electric awning, Dometic requires it to be on a dedicated fuse. Unless you have rewired it, it's probably not.

Here's some hints. The microwave is suppose to be on it's own breaker and splitting the converter from the fridge is a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring-TDF-TEXAS.jpg  
Old 09-18-2021, 10:49 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
.... I traced the fuses out, wasn't happy with the distribution, and rewired the whole mess. ...
Thanks, Tom, you've already raised my awareness of the electrical / wiring issues.

The OP was a result of initial findings as I'm thoroughly investigating and compiling an accurate complete "As-Built" schematic preparatory to my own major electrical system overhaul. As you can appreciate, that As-Built baseline is needed and actually tracing the wires is a bit 'sporting'; that effort is still ongoing at the moment.

My modified system will abandon the WFCO power center completely, utilizing totally different stand-alone AC and DC Distribution Panels (split-bus Progressive PD55K003 for the AC; PD6000 for the DC) which will provide an opportunity for more 'sensible' breaker / fuse-circuit allocation. Converter / Inverter / Transfer Switch duties are provided by an 'all-in-one' xantrex Freedom XC2000.

Your many posts on the subject have been an invaluable resource in planning this undertaking, so Thanks, Again!

Always subject to revision, here's the 'current' version of where we are heading, still lacking detail of exact breaker / fuse allocation (critique always welcome ):
Attached Thumbnails
16926 ELECTRICAL SCHEMATIC rev 09-17-2021.jpg  
Old 09-18-2021, 10:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Thanks, Tom, you've already raised my awareness of the electrical / wiring issues.

The OP was a result of initial findings as I'm thoroughly investigating and compiling an accurate complete "As-Built" schematic preparatory to my own major electrical system overhaul. As you can appreciate, that 'baseline' is needed and tracing the wires is a bit 'sporting'; that effort is still ongoing at the moment.

My modified system will abandon the WFCO power center completely, utilizing totally different stand-alone AC Distribution Panels (split-bus Progressive PD55K003 for the AC; PD6000 for the DC) which will provide an opportunity for more 'sensible' breaker / fuse-circuit allocation. Converter / Inverter / Transfer Switch duties are provided by an 'all-in-one' xantrex Freedom XC2000.

Your many posts on the subject have been an invaluable resource in planning this undertaking, so Thanks, Again!
Now Now! You're making me jealous! That's going to be a great system when you're finished.

Of course, we need pictures of the project progress!
Old 09-18-2021, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
... Of course, we need pictures of the project progress!
Likely not 'daily blow-by-blow', but the milestone summaries with pics will be posted in this thread: Centex's 2021 5.0 Modifications

But here's a teaser ...
Attached Thumbnails
DINETTE UTILITY BAY R11y.jpg  
Old 09-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
My motorhome came from the factory with the microwave and water heater on one circuit with a load shed box installed. I did this with my trailer when I discovered that the microwave was on a dedicated circuit and that the water heater was on a general purpose outlet circuit.

I installed a Parallax ALS20 load shed box. The Romex™ from the microwave breaker goes to this box mounted right behind the power panel and then to the MW and the WH. Both get power but when you press the start button on the MW and the load picks up , the box senses this and shuts off the current going to the WH. 30 seconds after the MW stops, the WH power is restored. The logic is that the MW draws current for probably 5 minutes or less so the WH can do without it for this short period of time. This frees up the other circuits for other loads.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Paralax ALS20 Load Shed cover interior label.jpg   Paralax ALS20 Load Shed interior.jpg   Paralax ALS20 Load Shed installation.jpg  
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:

The OP was a result of initial findings as I'm thoroughly investigating and compiling an accurate complete "As-Built" schematic preparatory to my own major electrical system overhaul. As you can appreciate, that As-Built baseline is needed and actually tracing the wires is a bit 'sporting'; that effort is still ongoing at the moment.

My modified system will abandon the WFCO power center completely, utilizing totally different stand-alone AC and DC Distribution Panels (split-bus Progressive PD55K003 for the AC; PD6000 for the DC) which will provide an opportunity for more 'sensible' breaker / fuse-circuit allocation. Converter / Inverter / Transfer Switch duties are provided by an 'all-in-one' xantrex Freedom XC2000.

Always subject to revision, here's the 'current' version of where we are heading, still lacking detail of exact breaker / fuse allocation (critique always welcome ):
I like the pd split bus product, which eliminates the need for the sub-panel. I’m combing my inverter and transfer switch with their product. I also will replace the wfco converter with their version which will allow a lithium charge profile, but not until I’m ready to replace batteries.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote