Toilet Leak - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Toilet Leak

I have a 2008 17b Escape, no shower just the toilet but it developed a small leak. At first the leak was intermittent and very difficult to find. Occasionally, the pump would kick in to compensate for the loss of pressure in the water line. We were out for the day, the pump was accidentally left on (normally it is almost always left off unless water is needed), and we came back to a puddle of water on the floor.
There is limited space between the wall and the toilet but I could feel the leak back there. The toilet is Thetford Aqua V. To pull the toilet, I had to cut the supply line from inside the front storage unit.
I ordered a new water controller valve (Thetford 31705) from Amazon. It came within 42 hours from ordering. Installing the new control valve was simple. I replaced the water supply line with a flexible line and put a valve in line to make it easier if I have to pull the toilet in the future. I also added a small block of wood to act as a brace for the water line to keep it from flexing too much.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2466.jpg  
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17B
Well done Buddy.
I just have the same pump pulsing issue after dewinterizing, the pump stutters every few seconds and I didn't check leaking from toilet. Probably I have got same leaking there.
Thanks
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #3

I checked the back of toilet and found a trace of water there so I think I have the same problem. I am just wondering when you fix it if you had to remove the toilet to do the job?
Thanks
Old 06-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage99 View Post
I checked the back of toilet and found a trace of water there so I think I have the same problem. I am just wondering when you fix it if you had to remove the toilet to do the job?
Thanks
Reread post#1, it appears he did have to remove the toilet.....To pull the toilet, I had to cut the supply line from inside the front storage unit.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Thanks
Yes, I did remove the toilet. In my trailer, the supply line was fixed, access to the back of the toilet was limited to say the least. I cut the supply line from inside the front storage and then removed the toilet. I replaced the part which I ordered thru Amazon. When I reinstalled the toilet, I put in a flexible supply line with a shut off valve so that if I ever have to replace it again, it should be easier to remove and if necessary, I can isolate the toilet from the rest of the water supply.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:44 PM   #6

Thank you Buddy and Cpaharley2008. I found the leaking is at the connector between toilet and supply line, likely only need to tight up the connector. My trailer is with a valve already, so it appears not quite necessary to replace whole supply line.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Reace fixed a toilet leak in my trailer at the Osoyoos rally 3 days after delivery in 2015. He tipped the toilet forward (Did not remove it) for access and slightly tightened the supply line/toilet connection with pliers. He stated that the connection is supposed to be “finger tight,” but sometimes he had found about 1/8 of a turn after finger tightness is achieved is necessary to ensure a leak free condition. At that time, the toilet shut-off valve was not on the options list so he also installed one. I’ve had no further toilet leaks since then. It seemed to be a pretty simple fix.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Reace fixed a toilet leak in my trailer at the Osoyoos rally 3 days after delivery in 2015. He tipped the toilet forward (Did not remove it) for access and slightly tightened the supply line/toilet connection with pliers. He stated that the connection is supposed to be “finger tight,” but sometimes he had found about 1/8 of a turn after finger tightness is achieved is necessary to ensure a leak free condition. At that time, the toilet shut-off valve was not on the options list so he also installed one. I’ve had no further toilet leaks since then. It seemed to be a pretty simple fix.
Great! thank you C&G.
Could you tell me how Reace exactly did to tip the toilet forward? The space behind toilet is too small, tip toilet a little is a good way to tight up the connection. I can't see any screw on the floor to fix the toile, Reace just pull and tip the toilet by hands?
Thanks.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How about this thread https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...17-a-8114.html
It mentions removing hold down bolts.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Great! thank you C&G.
Could you tell me how Reace exactly did to tip the toilet forward? The space behind toilet is too small, tip toilet a little is a good way to tight up the connection. I can't see any screw on the floor to fix the toile, Reace just pull and tip the toilet by hands?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
How about this thread https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...17-a-8114.html
It mentions removing hold down bolts.
Reace did remove the hold down bolts then tipped the toilet forward. It’s not real heavy but I had one foot in the bathroom and held it up while he tightened the water connection. He then lowered the toilet back down and he replaced the bolts and the bolt covers.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #11

Thank you padlin and C&G, you guys are awesome! I am gonna do this, hopefully it will work.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Hey, getting in on this late - but I’m trying to figure out where best to install a toilet shut off valve that still allows us to easily winterize in the event water runs down the line to the point of the shut off. I’d rather NOT have to tip the loo. Can I install where the line runs into the bathroom in the front under seat storage unit, if I do, would I just open the valve and draw any water thru to winterize?

Signed,
Not incredibly Handywoman Elizabeth
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Hey, getting in on this late - but I’m trying to figure out where best to install a toilet shut off valve that still allows us to easily winterize in the event water runs down the line to the point of the shut off. I’d rather NOT have to tip the loo. Can I install where the line runs into the bathroom in the front under seat storage unit, if I do, would I just open the valve and draw any water thru to winterize?

Signed,
Not incredibly Handywoman Elizabeth
A toilet shutoff valve is not going to help to winterize the toilet - you have to get the water out of the toilet valve to keep it from busting during a freeze.

Blowing out the water with air using one of these works.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Brass-C.../dp/B002XL2IEA

The other way to winterize is to pump RV antifreeze into all the lines - including the toilet flush.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...reeze/17179674
Old 09-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just pump RV antifreeze through by holding the flush lever open. The antifreeze ends up in the black holding tank, which needs a half gallon or so anyway.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Thanks, all -- to be clear I don't want to install this to winterize, it's so that we can using wag bags/etc in the loo in instances where we can't -- or don't want to -- dump. Glenn, I'll install the shutoff via the front storage hatch and just remember to pull the antifreeze thru the toilet when it's time to shut down, just in case.

Thx again!
medora is offline   Reply With Quote