Troubleshooting ideas on outside shower leak - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19'
Troubleshooting ideas on outside shower leak

Camping this weekend had hot water faucet leak on outside shower on pressurized as well as testing on water tank w pump on. Have emailed Reace but wondered about steps on troubleshooting this issue. Hope it is just a washer issue. Have never used outside shower in this 2017 17b as yet. Have the quick connect style. TIA. Julie
Old 04-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Camping this weekend had hot water faucet leak on outside shower on pressurized as well as testing on water tank w pump on. Have emailed Reace but wondered about steps on troubleshooting this issue. Hope it is just a washer issue. Have never used outside shower in this 2017 17b as yet. Have the quick connect style. TIA. Julie
Did the unit see any cold temperatures without being winterized with antifreeze? This can crack the unit.

Not sure if this helps but this is the exact assembly used inside the Phoenix outlet box.
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-.../PF213246.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:30 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not that it helps, but even with the pink antifreeze I had a shower control crack one year over the winter.

Can you tell us where you're seeing it leak? Behind the housing, behind the handle/s, out the quick connect?, that sort of thing.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

Hot water faucet leaking. Sounds like I may have to replace whole assembly? Yes was winterized.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Wouldn't be worth not swapping the whole unit, especially when it's under warranty. I'm taking it you can get to the back side of it.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Mine leaked several years ago . My faucet was not repairable so I bought a new one ($24 )
It took about 10 minutes to remove old faucet and install the new faucet
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Mine leaked several years ago . My faucet was not repairable so I bought a new one ($24 )
It took about 10 minutes to remove old faucet and install the new faucet
It would be more helpful if you would say what trailer you have, or what brand of faucet. Your profile doesn't provide that information.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
10 minutes/ 25$. mine froze as I forgot to drain when winterizing. D'oh..... steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
May be unrelated but I had the inside elbow connection fail on the cold water side in March of 2017 when I sanitized and turned on the water pump for the first time. The pressure of the pump blew the elbow out of the female connection to the shower box and would not stay connected each time I turned the pump on. I did not have the replacement part nor the time to fix it prior to our first camping trip of the season. On our way we stopped at RNR RV in Liberty Lake, WA. They were great and fit us in and fixed it. ETI covered the cost under warranty. Last week the hot water side failed the same way.
I was able to obtain the part locally and fix it myself. ETI refused my warranty request this time saying I failed in winterizing. If you need a new outside box I suggest you also get part 10-7040 (2) to obtain hot/cold connections that do not fail. If you winterize with 20 psi compressor as I did make certain you connect a hose or spigot to the outside shower and purge it with hot/cold faucets open.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180422_155510.jpg   IMG_20180422_155520.jpg   MVIMG_20180422_111844.jpg   MVIMG_20180422_111920.jpg  
Old 04-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
If you need a new outside box I suggest you also get part 10-7040 (2) to obtain hot/cold connections that do not fail.

When I installed the same D&W/Phoenix shower/spray port on a Scamp a few years ago I used Sharkbite elbow connections. If you have the room these screw on to the shower connections and then the PEX pipe slides and locks into the slip fitting. More expensive, but very well made and a very secure connection.

https://www.amazon.com/SharkBite-U30.../dp/B00FKQ4X2K
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #11

Here is where the leak is. Escape wants me to remove cartridge, check O ring etc for cracks. Don't want to break the cartridge during removal, does it just unscrew with a pliers? Thank you for your advice.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4418.jpg  
Old 04-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Here is where the leak is. Escape wants me to remove cartridge, check O ring etc for cracks. Don't want to break the cartridge during removal, does it just unscrew with a pliers? Thank you for your advice.
I don't have an outside faucet, so take this for what it's worth. It looks like there's an outer lock washer surrounding the cartridge. The tabs prevent the cartridge from coming loose. I'm assuming that if you carefully pry up the outer lock washer with a flat head screwdriver, you can remove it, and then the cartridge will be free to turn, can be unscrewed, and removed. Again though, just a guess based on your photo.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't have an outside faucet, so take this for what it's worth. It looks like there's an outer lock washer surrounding the cartridge. The tabs prevent the cartridge from coming loose. I'm assuming that if you carefully pry up the outer lock washer with a flat head screwdriver, you can remove it, and then the cartridge will be free to turn, can be unscrewed, and removed. Again though, just a guess based on your photo.
Got it (at least understand). Will try that tomorrow. Thanks very much. Julie
Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #14

Report on outside shower leak.....bought a new shower assembly found out it was too large so just took the original all apart put back together & hallelujah NO leak. Dodged the bullet on that one as leave for Yellowstone Saturday. Thanks for everyone’s thoughts & ideas.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
When I installed the same D&W/Phoenix shower/spray port on a Scamp a few years ago I used Sharkbite elbow connections. If you have the room these screw on to the shower connections and then the PEX pipe slides and locks into the slip fitting. More expensive, but very well made and a very secure connection.

https://www.amazon.com/SharkBite-U30.../dp/B00FKQ4X2K
Just circling back on this. The tapered threads on this Sharkbite U308 elbow I recommended are not correct for the straight threads on an RV outside shower. It worked somehow when I did my previous one, but I am putting together a spray port to install on the passenger side of the Escape and it has messed up the threads. I am going to use the Flair-it type connection that was posted above by blue_bullet.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #16

Outside shower/spray port dissection

Since I broke one I figured I’d dissemble the “newer” style outside D&W shower/spray port assembly for our collective future reference and some spare parts. For someone that may be investigating a leak or other trouble the clear plastic “H” or “C” button pops off, use a Phillips head to remove screw and off comes the handle. Then remove the top washer from the retainer with an easy pry and then remove the other washer. Then a 19mm socket can be used to remove the cartridge. That’s it. On the backside the entire faucet assembly is removed by removing plumbing connections and then removing large plastic nuts on the hot and cold inlets.

Not sure how prevalent individual parts are out there for these units but the above might help some troubleshooters nonetheless. A full faucet replacement is the 3-3/8” unit I posted earlier in the thread and repeated again below. Don’t purchase the 4” or it will not fit in the box.

https://www.etrailer.com/accessories.../PF213246.html

The quick connect fitting in the center removes with an adjustable wrench. This part does appear available direct from D&W:
https://www.dwincorp.com/product/quick-connect-valve/
Attached Thumbnails
7401645E-6B32-481B-BF54-1FF16A03B009.jpg   DC67DAF7-C069-4AE5-91E3-B6D9B3A03435.jpg  
Old 11-27-2018, 07:01 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice work. For those with a new unit, your paperwork should include the operation and parts manual plus the manufacturers info, I realize rubicon327 did not have that luxury. Also in 2010 I believe ETI was inhaling a different external shower. I had a manual but passed it along to the next owner, right now I'm Escape free and manuals. Oops, on edit, the link provided above does show the product manual, for some reason I thought is was another manufacturer, not DW.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Oops, on edit, the link provided above does show the product manual, for some reason I thought is was another manufacturer, not DW.
These seem to be branded under Phoenix and D&W. Maybe that is where the confusion lies.
White Two Handle Spray-Away Hot and Cold Outlet with Quick Connect
Old 11-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #19

Yes, Phoenix was the literature I received with my last Escape.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:15 AM   #20

I wonder if these leaks are from possible winter expansion if not winterized fully?