Turning off the 2-Way Hot Water Tank - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I don't think Jim fished wires. It sounds like he simply intercepted the 120V line as it heads to the water heater. I assume there was enough slack to wire it to the switch in the existing outlet box. It doesn't really matter though because you have a solution that works!
Exactly. I was fortunate that the cable ran right past this duplex plug with enough slack to easily tie it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysd View Post
Thanks all for the info, everybody! I'll study Jim's mod to do something similar so I don't have to flip the breaker or open the outside cover to turn off the 120V power.

Gary
It would also be easy to run a cable from a preferred switch location near the water heater to the existing WH connection, and splice in the switch on the hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Both links where Jim sourced his small LED lights are no longer found
They were from The Source, but any wee 120V and 12V LED would do the same thing.
Quote:
Don't forget that Classic owners with the original style Suburban gas water heater switch can also opt to replace the switch with one that lights up when the switch is on.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/water-heater-indicator-lights-and-120v-switch-1165-2.html#post210886
Quote:
The link shows an "Industrial Grade" switch which I'm sure is commanding a premium. There are definitely more economical options given the application. This is one, but it has a different form factor with the separate light:

www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Heavy-Duty-Grade-15-Amp-Combination-Single-Pole-Toggle-Switch-and-Pilot-Light-in-White-277W-BOX/203492444
This would do the trick well, but I would have had to order one, whereas the switch and LED I used were locally available.

Just to throw a wrench into the works, I will be swapping out my control panel with one that has a 120V WH switch built in, and installing the relay on the WH needed to switch the power on.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Turning off the 2-Way Hot Water Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Just to throw a wrench into the works, I will be swapping out my control panel with one that has a 120V WH switch built in, and installing the relay on the WH needed to switch the power on.

Jim, where did you get the control panel that has a 120V WH switch built into it?

I am interested in doing that. I already have the relay.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Jim, where did you get the control panel that has a 120V WH switch built into it?

I am interested in doing that. I already have the relay.

Fred M.
I got it directly from KIB. Free shipping in the US (actually, will ship to the US only), and paid $47.75. This is the contact info for who I dealt with there. The model is the KIB M1086.

Bill Craft

KIB Electronics | Service & Warranty
2504 Jeanwood Drive, Elkhart, IN 46514
Direct: (574) 327-6534
Office: (574) 262-0518
Fax: (574) 262-5172
bcraft@kib.us

This is a link where Tom (tdf-texas) listed one he found on eBay. A different model, but looks the same. Still, I would get it from KIB directly and make certain you are getting what you are looking for.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...tml#post170983

For those that would need it, here is a link to another post of Tom's with a link to where to buy the relay, and the wiring diagram. It just ties in in series with the power to the water heater. You do need to run a single positive wire from the new control panel to the relay to wire it in, the negative is common to the other components on the panel.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
I'm confused why someone would use the relay method vs the 120V AC switch to turn the hot water heater on/off from inside the trailer. It seems the AC switch in the 120V supply to the hot water heater under the dinette seat is easier and cheaper to install compared to the relay in the hot water heater and running additional wires to the inside of the trailer. Is the relay method preferred so you can have both controls (electric and propane) and their indicator lights on one panel?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Is the relay method preferred so you can have both controls (electric and propane) and their indicator lights on one panel?
Yes.

I like to have the ease of switching inside, with indication that the electric option is on, thus the reason for my original mod in my 19 years ago.

The mod will actually be easier, and put the controls all together. The cost is minimal considering all the costs of the trailer, travelling and camping.

I do these kinda things because I can, not because I need to. I enjoy tinkering and achieving what I see as the ultimate solution FOR ME, and just share what I am doing. It gives me pride of ownership, not a bad thing.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Is the relay method preferred so you can have both controls (electric and propane) and their indicator lights on one panel?

Yes...because that is what Lola wants...

...and, what Lola wants, Lola gets.

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 11-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
I'm confused why someone would use the relay method vs the 120V AC switch to turn the hot water heater on/off from inside the trailer.
Can't say I understand the relay either, mines just a straight AC switch. Must have dozed.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can't say I understand the relay either, mines just a straight AC switch. Must have dozed.

Just different strokes for different folks...

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 12-04-2017, 11:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I got it directly from KIB. Free shipping in the US (actually, will ship to the US only), and paid $47.75. This is the contact info for who I dealt with there. The model is the KIB M1086.

Got it ordered today. Thanks Jim!

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"