Two SOK 206A in 21C ... Will they fit? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C
Two SOK 206A in 21C ... Will they fit?

Hi All,

We will be signing our build sheet this month on our new 21C, with expected completion date May 2022.

This will be our first RV ever & we can't wait!

We've opted for full solar package (2x 190W panels) except without the lithium batteries.

We instead chose the "lithium ready" upgrade (from the Easter egg sheet).

For our battery choice, I'm thinking of going with a pair of SOK 12V 206A, and am wondering will they fit in the normal location (under the U shaped dinette)?

I saw one post where someone (can't find post now) appeared to have one SOK 206A, but not sure if any modification were required.

Additionally, it now looks like SOK is offering both a regular 12V 206A battery as well as one with heater & Bluetooth built-in. The heated\bluetooth is listed as shipping starting April 2022. Not sure if it worth the extra $171 ($1,200 vs $1,029). Any suggestions?

Lastly, any recommendations on portable panels? I'm wondering if 200W would suffice.
djronh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
they won't fit in the battery box that Escape was using circa 2014 (I don't imagine they'd fit in any dual-GC2 box, but who knows). Lithiums don't need a battery box or venting...

I removed that battery box entirely, and mounted dual 206AH SOK's like so...

thats in the very back curbside corner under the bench (I have the U shaped dinette on my 21 classic). they are secured in space with 4 pieces of 1.5" angle aluminum that are screwed to the floor with #6 x 1/2" self tapping panhead screws, the front and rear rails have horizontal slots cut in the verticals, filed smooth, and that visible luggage strap, the batteries seem very secure.

some other views (ignore the hand, I was contemplating puttin gthe fuse holders there, decided not to) also, some pics are from before I installed the angle brackets, and/or with temporary wiring.

moving them to the back like this has freed up storage space under the curbside bench where the battery box used to be.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Team

oh, make sure they run an additional wire (AWG 10 is adequate) from the ebrake breakaway switch back to where you are going to put your electrics, as the existing AWG 8 wire will be used for the towing vehicle charge power, and you'll want a DC-DC converter on it back near your batts, I used a Victron Orion-Tr 12/12-18

this is my main wiring panel I've retrofitted my trailer with, under the rear bench of the U shaped dinette. main battery power wiring is all AWG 4. solar and Orion wiring is AWG 8. on this board is...
* MPPT 100/30 solar charge controller
* solar panel disconnect switch
* dual 100A fuses, one for each battery
* main red and black power and ground bus bars
* Victron smart shunt
* Orion 12/12-18 DC-DC charger

Old 02-16-2022, 02:36 PM   #4
Site Team

so... them batts is 5260 watt hours combined. lets say you run them down to 10%, so you need about 5000 watt*hours to recharge them.

the PD4655Li that I replaced my WFCO with charges at about 700 watts, so ~7 hours plugged in to fully charge.

the Orion seems to be outputting 15-16 amps at its Lithium charger setting, so thats about 200-220 watts, 25 hours of driving to fully charge

I will be installing a 360W solar panel on the roof run through that MPPT, I expect it to see maybe 250 watts in the summer mid day, if you use the 6 hours effective charging per day rule, around 3 bright sunny summer days to fully charge. I may eventually double up on the solar panels if I can squeeze another up front

OTOH, 5200 watt*hours is probably enough juice to run my DC compressor fridge, AND all our regular loads for over a week without ANY charging.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #5

John,

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I'm a newbie to RV solar, so a lot of what you mentioned is over my head.

But since I opted for the Lithium ready package, not sure how much of what you listed I might need.

BTW - Here is the description of that lithium ready package from ETI: Provides your trailer with a lithium compatible converter, a DC – DC charger and a single 12V lead acid battery that you’ll swap out for lithium batteries of your choice after market.

Thanks again,

Ron
Old 02-16-2022, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Team

ok, so you have 2/3rds or more of what you need... are you not getting solar ? if you 'dry camp' aka boondock, solar is awesome. if you always camp with hookups, then you don't really need it, but then you don't really need batteries, either..
Old 02-16-2022, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
ok, so you have 2/3rds or more of what you need.
What's the extra 1/3 I'm missing?

Quote:
are you not getting solar ?
Looks like you missed my initial post where I mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djronh1
We've opted for full solar package (2x 190W panels)
Old 02-16-2022, 08:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djronh1 View Post
What's the extra 1/3 I'm missing?
the batteries

Quote:
Looks like you missed my initial post where I mentioned [solar]
do you know if they are using a Lithium compatible solar controller ?
Old 02-16-2022, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Given that package is marketed as “Lithium ready” I would assume so.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 19 - 2021
Did you opt for the compressor fridge? If not 412AH is going to be way more than you need.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
the batteries

I have the exact setup they have, but I have a 5.0, with the lithium ready package, all that’s needed is to flip a switch over to lithium, from what I was told anyway. Escape are soon to have upgraded batteries available, but too soon for me, so I had mine delivered with the standard 12v acid battery.

Their question could’ve been written by me, I’ve been doing my best to keep up with your work, but you really are on another level. I’m fairly capable with 110 wiring, I’m able to put in home service panels if needed, but I have much to learn on this subject.

Did you get the heated, bluetooth version, which I just checked on their site and they are currently sold out of.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
Did you opt for the compressor fridge? If not 412AH is going to be way more than you need.
I did not (currently), but IMO having too much battery is a good “problem” to have. Opens you up to more options/possibilities.

Plus when you have extended cloudy days, or shady camping spot, you can last that much longer with one less thing to worry about.