Water Filtration - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2022, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Water Filtration

Trying to run through the to do list for our (hopefully) May delivery on our 5.0.
After researching and watching YouTube videos I put together a three canister whole house water filter system that will sit outside the trailer. The supply hose will run to the filters and then from there to the trailer.
Was wondering if anyone else has a similar system or any experience with replacable whole house filters for RV use?
After much reading I have narrowed it down to a 10 micron, 5 micron, 0.5 micron filter set. A combination of sediment, KDF (Kinetic Degradation Fluxion) and carbon, filter types.
Anyone have anything to share as far as what brands or pairings work best for an RV water supply system using 10"x2.5" cartridges?
I am really picky about the water quality coming into the trailer.
ngarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21NE

This RO system is what I went with. Some APEC ROES model. The waste output just goes back to the freshwater tank. 5 gallons on tap available.
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypill View Post

This RO system is what I went with. Some APEC ROES model. The waste output just goes back to the freshwater tank. 5 gallons on tap available.
Why would you put the waste back into the fresh tank The more you use the worse the fresh tank gets....The more you need to filter out ....the worse the tank gets....
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Why would you put the waste back into the fresh tank The more you use the worse the fresh tank gets....The more you need to filter out ....the worse the tank gets....
It's ~3 gallons of mostly fresh water as waste for every 1 gallon of permeate. The "waste" water is totally fine if your input water is already potable city water. I get that it's a positive feedback loop if it were a closed system but if I'm adding new fresh water it's diluting that every so often. Anything that will accumulate in the tank will eventually end up in the filters which I will replace. It's really not that big of an issue
Old 04-07-2022, 12:09 PM   #5

Thanks Crazypill
Looks like a great system but I am dealing with a DIY system that uses whole house filters. It won't be as efficient as yours but should work ok. Just trying to figure out which filter cartridges to use.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 5.0 / Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi 5'7"
Not sure if you found cartridges you like yet but I am in the process of doing basically the exact same thing as you right now. 3 cartridge system mounted to the rear bumper. I might try to see if I can fit it beneath the bench of our 5.0 but I think it will be too tight.

I bought the replacement filter set from Clearsource RV water filter systems. You can buy their whole system already put together but it seemed absurdly expensive when I could buy the basic components on their own for less than half the cost. Anyway, you can get their Virusguard Ultra System replacement filter pack for $70 USD. 5 micron rust filter, 0.5 micron carbon block and their trademarked Virusguard filter.

I also bought the Acuva 2.0 UV filter. I know this whole setup is way overkill and expensive but I hate bottled water and refilling jugs. On our first trip with the trailer last year I found I wasn't drinking very much water because of the taste and our single in line filter wasn't doing much. Even our dog didn't want to drink the water. I tried flushing vinegar through the system but the plastic taste was still there and I don't trust the campgrounds to maintain their water systems as carefully as I would prefer.
kevin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:22 PM   #7

Thanks Kevin
Just finished our filtration set up and hope to post pics soon.
I too am picky about our water.
I ended up with...

1st filter- Omni RS-14 polyspun 10 micron (Sediment) About $5
2nd filter- Omni TO1 5 micron ( Carbon, for fine sediment and chlorine removal ) About $5
3rd filter- Pentek Flo Plus. 0.05 micron ( Filters cysts and guardia) About $22

I was concerned about flow (gpm) and with this filter placement it should not restrict water flow much. At least that is what I am hoping LOL. At any rate filters seem reasonably priced and are readily available so I can always change them out if these don't work.
Good luck with your system.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0 / Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 Hemi 5'7"
Those should work great! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures!
kevin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarc View Post
Thanks Kevin
Just finished our filtration set up and hope to post pics soon.
I too am picky about our water.
I ended up with...

1st filter- Omni RS-14 polyspun 10 micron (Sediment) About $5
2nd filter- Omni TO1 5 micron ( Carbon, for fine sediment and chlorine removal ) About $5
3rd filter- Pentek Flo Plus. 0.05 micron ( Filters cysts and guardia) About $22

I was concerned about flow (gpm) and with this filter placement it should not restrict water flow much. At least that is what I am hoping LOL. At any rate filters seem reasonably priced and are readily available so I can always change them out if these don't work.
Good luck with your system.

You'll probably want a pressurized holding tank for on demand drinking water.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #10

Here are the pics of my water filtration system. I repurposed a small bin so that the filters can sit in it while I am running water to the trailer. Just cut three holes in the bin same size as the cannisters. Keeps the canisters upright and secure while in use. For transport everything fits inside including hoses, extra filters, and fittings for the hose. Everything should work when I run the water through in Sumas LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
20220424_122833.jpg   20220424_123030.jpg   20220424_123755.jpg   20220424_130017.jpg  
Old 04-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #11

These are the specific filters I used in the canisters. Wish I could say this was my idea but I stole the basic concept from various YouTubers. So credit where credit is due and thanks to them.
Attached Thumbnails
20220424_122853.jpg   20220424_122917.jpg