Water heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
Water heater

Does anyone know if Escape is planning to offer a tankless water heater in the near future ?
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Is there such a thing as a non-electric tankless heater? If not, an electric one would only be practical when you're plugged into the grid. Or a generator.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Discussions here and on FGRV reveal that a tankless water heater wastes water to get up to temperature. Not practical with a limited water supply.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Is there such a thing as a non-electric tankless heater? If not, an electric one would only be practical when you're plugged into the grid. Or a generator.
We have a propane tankless water heater at our fish camp, but I don't think it would be viable in a trailer. You'd go through water fast, since there's always a run of cold water before it comes up to temperature.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
GCS

Thanks. Just heard that Oliver is planning on offering one soon. Just wondered how viable it would be. I know that even in a house it is not ideal. Just thought they may have worked out the bugs.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Yes, in addition to the camping heaters which are not suitable for installation in a trailer, there are at least two brands of propane-fueled tankless water heaters which install like a conventional RV water heater - one is from Atwood and intended to be a direct swap for 6-gallon conventional units.

I'm not convinced that an electric tankless heater would be adequate for showers even with shore power, if limited to 30 amp power service.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Along with wasting water while they first heat, most tankless water heaters have a minimum flow. Since dry campers often try to use just a trickle of water at times to conserve, the heater never comes on. While there is that advantage that you don't have the weight of 6 gallons of water, I can't think of too many more.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Discussions here and on FGRV reveal that a tankless water heater wastes water to get up to temperature. Not practical with a limited water supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
We have a propane tankless water heater at our fish camp, but I don't think it would be viable in a trailer. You'd go through water fast, since there's always a run of cold water before it comes up to temperature.
Atwood acknowledges this problem, and their solution makes sense if you must use that water heater, but with the inherent added water consumption I agree that the design is unsuitable, at least for me. From the Atwood On-Demand Water Heater installation and operation manual:
Quote:
A Note About “Navy Showers” When Dry Camping
It is recommended to take a shower just like you would at home. That is, leave the water running through the entire shower. The hot water system is designed to deliver a continuous, comfortable flow of hot water and that’s the way it works best.
Shutting off the shower with the showerhead button wastes water. Each time this is done, the showerhead “trickles”, filling the hot water line with cold water. This cold water has to be purged from the line each time the showerhead is turned back on. Tests have shown that this will not save water.
There would be less of a problem with a complete water shutoff (rather than the normal "trickle" type), but my guess is that it would still be a problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
GCS

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Regarding other than electric tankless water heaters, Holiday House trailers, built during the early sixties in Oregon or California, employed a very effective propane heated system. It flashed up from a pilot light that had to be lit with a match each time camp was set up but it functioned flawlessly. Turning on the hot water tap released the water flow through a heat exchanger where it heated instantly in the triggered gas flame. Since it was mounted in the trailer wall immediately behind the kitchen/bathroom area the slug of cold water that preceeded the hot water was no more than that amount contained in about two feet of water supply line. Hardly noticeable while reaching for the bar of soap.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #11
GCS

Sounds like my best bet is still a regular tank heater with a shutoff. Will be touring the Oliver facility in Hoenwald, TNN. Next week. Will be interesting to see what they have to say.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Sounds like my best bet is still a regular tank heater with a shutoff. Will be touring the Oliver facility in Hoenwald, TNN. Next week. Will be interesting to see what they have to say.
Just be prepared to have Oliver tell you it's the very best. Best is such a subjective word. What's best is what's best for you and your use.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Just be prepared to have Oliver tell you it's the very best. Best is such a subjective word. What's best is what's best for you and your use.
While I was at the factory recently I saw one being installed on a new build but Oliver is not pushing the tankless heater. The few that have been installed have all been customer requests. I can't personally see the need.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote