Water pressure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Water pressure

Got our 17B this August and have a question. We have really low water pressure in the trailer when using the pressure regulator (whether in tandem with the water filter or not), so that water just trickles out,especially from the bathroom faucet. But I'm (probably rightly) scared of chancing a hookup without pressure regulation as the results of too much pressure can need disastrous.

Heard of any way to test if a park's pressure is ok (low enough) first, and then I could safely dispense with the pressure limiter and just use the filter? What's the maximum (or ideal) pressure for the trailer?
Thanks for your help!
Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
After using my original water regulator for 10 years I broke down last year and replaced it with the cheap Camco 40-50 lb one, also picked up a Valterra gauge.

When I hooked up the regulator I had very low pressure, although it doesn't sound like it was as low as yours, but a lot lower then the old one. Used the little gauge and found the new reg at 30 lbs while the old one is 45 lbs.

I'm using the old one.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've hooked up at a couple of parks in the past 3-4 years, the hose bib had a regulator built it. Didn't notice it, but the screen in my regulator prevented the water from running freely. I now carry two different regulators. One where I've punched the screen down (it still works as a screen) and one with the screen in it's original position. If you disconnect the hose at the bib and stick run your finger over the connection, you can feel a tiny pin. That was preventing me from getting full flow at the bib.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Caution is always a good thing to exercise, but I'm a little less worried about campground water pressure variation since Reace dropped by to replace the faulty shower hoses in our 2017 21'. After replacing the hoses, he charged the system with water from our garden hose then hooked up his air compressor and put 90 pounds of air pressure into the system to check for water leaks. I seriously doubt that we'll ever run into a campground pushing 90 psi water pressure. That said, I still plan to include our little in-line pressure regulator whenever we hook up to water at a campground just because of that ingrained "caution is a good thing" thing.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Water pressure

I prefer and own pressure regulators that have a gauge on them and regulators that have adjustable pressures. You can buy a simple gauge that screws onto the hose bib just like your hose or water filter. When you open the water valve the pressure will show on the gauge at the minute. However there are situations where large fluctuations are possible. Enter the regulator adjusted to about 45 psi for my liking. We camped at Kentucky Horse Park three years ago. 100 lbs pressure sustained. Get and use a good adjustable pressure regulator. To me it's peace of mind and just good practice.
I'm sometimes the luckiest man on the face of the earth but I don't leave home without a Buckeye in my pocket and a regulator in the side box.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
What's the maximum (or ideal) pressure for the trailer?
Given that the trailer pump cutout is 55 psi that would be my number. Just for some perspective PEX piping is rated at 160 psi at 73F and 130psi at 120F (which is more applicable to the hot side). Under normal conditions you will be well under these maximums, but a regulator is the only way to be safe. There is no reason to subject the piping to more pressure then necessary.

When hooked up to city water I always turn off the water supply at the source when leaving the site. When boondocking I always make sure the pump is off when leaving. If there is a leak that develops I’d prefer to find a manageable amount of water to deal with rather than water pouring out of the trailer door.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I ...... However there are situations where large fluctuations are possible. Enter the regulator adjusted to about 45 psi for my liking.
Iowa Dave
Hey Dave, What pressure do you recommend for Popov at the tap?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Under Pressure

Popov is pretty forgiving stuff except when it comes to liver damage. But I never like hearing “my cup runneth over” when it comes to hooch. On the other hand very low pressure is necessary on the Beefeater, you don’t want to bruise it. Now where’s my vermouth.
Dave
Old 10-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Before we hook up at a campground, we always run the water at the hose bib to flush any rust out. If it comes out strong, we'll put our gauge on it. We have had 60-130 psi in campgrounds.
If you hook up to street pressure anywhere in Ventura County, CA other than Oxnard (50-60), you might just get 130+. That's because everywhere in the county but Oxnard has hills with elevations 200 ft. or more above the lower areas: that's 85 psi just to reach the high places.
Moral: we check pressures, and always use the regulator when in doubt. It holds us under 60.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Thanks so much for the advice! This forum had helped me very much. Now in our 17 at a park in Larkspur north of the Golden Gate and about to turn in. Will order a regulator with built-gauge tomorrow.
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Popov is pretty forgiving stuff except when it comes to liver damage. But I never like hearing “my cup runneth over” when it comes to hooch. On the other hand very low pressure is necessary on the Beefeater, you don’t want to bruise it. Now where’s my vermouth.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Sometimes it's best just to whisper vermouth over the "Beefeater"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Before we hook up at a campground, we always run the water at the hose bib to flush any rust out. If it comes out strong, we'll put our gauge on it. We have had 60-130 psi in campgrounds.
If you hook up to street pressure anywhere in Ventura County, CA other than Oxnard (50-60), you might just get 130+. That's because everywhere in the county but Oxnard has hills with elevations 200 ft. or more above the lower areas: that's 85 psi just to reach the high places.
Moral: we check pressures, and always use the regulator when in doubt. It holds us under 60.
Didn't know that Don . Good to know . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I made the mistake of connecting to a campground's water system without using a pressure regulator and my trailer's plumbing came apart at the connection beneath the cold water tap in the bathroom lavatory. So use a regulator, or just use the water from the fresh water tank, which is what I do now.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
When staying at a site with full hookups and if concerned about high pressure of supplied water, I have on occasion just filled the freshwater tank with the supplied water and relied on the Escapes water pump to pressure up the water system.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
When staying at a site with full hookups and if concerned about high pressure of supplied water, I have on occasion just filled the freshwater tank with the supplied water and relied on the Escapes water pump to pressure up the water system.
We do the same, Dave. Especially on our last night, or only night at a CG. Makes for a quick getaway in the morning....

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've hooked up at a couple of parks in the past 3-4 years, the hose bib had a regulator built it. Didn't notice it, but the screen in my regulator prevented the water from running freely. I now carry two different regulators. One where I've punched the screen down (it still works as a screen) and one with the screen in it's original position. If you disconnect the hose at the bib and stick run your finger over the connection, you can feel a tiny pin. That was preventing me from getting full flow at the bib.
The thing you saw on the tap was probably NOT a pressure regulator but instead a vacuum breaker or backflow preventer. Which protects the campground water system from sucking the pond scum that a camper may have last filled their tank with into the water system.

Flushing out the tap before hooking up is a great idea. It will keep your screens and filters from getting clogged(often the real cause that people complain about low pressure)

A WORD OF CAUTION ABOUT CAMPGROUND WATER FROM A LICENSED WATER OPERATOR
If the pressure is low(below about 20 psi) DO NOT HOOK UP IT COULD BE CONTAMINATED!!! This is a common problem with old utilities in some campgrounds and can be dangerous. If there is a big demand (volume of water) and the water system cannot provide enough flow, the remainder can be made up for by sucking water in from the hose in the puddle in the next campsite. I do not drink bottled water but an leery of hooking up or filling tanks if the water pressure at the tap is low (check it before hooking up). I travel with at least a partially filled tank from a trusted source so if I am suspect of the water I still have drinking water.

Always use a pressure regulator and to avoid the problem above hook it to the camper end of your hose. It is not uncommon for public systems to have high pressures, I have seen over 100 psi. They also can fluctuate wildly, so it may be good when you hook up but can change due to pumps coming on and off or high use periods(after dinner).
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've read somewhere to put the regulator on the faucet end to protect the hose, is this valid?
Old 10-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Your hose is rated to work on residential water pressures so no.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've read somewhere to put the regulator on the faucet end to protect the hose, is this valid?
I put mine on the faucet end, but that's mainly because I use a water filter on the camper end, with a strain relief. Putting the regulator on the faucet side is just easier.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use the faucet also as some hoses can split, particularly plastic ones exposed to sunlight. It is well worth to spend a little more and get a reputable water hose made for rv's, not just a garden hose from home although as a kid it was always fun to drink out of the hose when it was hot.