Water System Question from a newbie - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2022, 05:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Water System Question from a newbie

So let’s say I want to go boondocking in my 17B. I fill the freshwater tank and the hot water tank before I head out. I don’t use any hot water the entire time, but I do use all of my freshwater. Is there a way to still use that hot water (not necessarily heated)? My impression is, once the freshwater is out, there’s nothing left to push the water in the hot water tank through the pipes and faucets. Is there a workaround, or am I completely missing something? Having hot water isn’t a big concern, but I sure would like to have access to that last six gallons of water.

Thanks in advance.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Your understanding is correct. And no, there's no way to use the water heater's contents as additional fresh water, unless you drain it, close its bypass valves, and pour the drained water into the fresh water tank.

That six US gallons of water is just part of the trailer's equipment, not usable water capacity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just carry a full five gallon Reliance potable water container. I transport it in the shower stall and move it to the picnic table when we reach camp. It's used more than the kitchen tap inside the trailer. I've never run out of fresh water, or filled the grey water.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I just carry a full five gallon Reliance potable water container. I transport it in the shower stall and move it to the picnic table when we reach camp. It's used more than the kitchen tap inside the trailer. I've never run out of fresh water, or filled the grey water.
This is an excellent idea and will steal it once I get my trailer. When I used to rent camp moons ago they has they square water carriers that folded down when not in use. I don’t know if they still make those, but if they do, I’m adding it to my overflowing Amazon cart. Thanks for the idea!
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I might be wrong.

But I imagine there's a way to McGyver a plumbing connection out of your WH anode fitting and with a valve, tap off the 6 gallons in your water heater. Plumbing fittings seem to be infinite, just like the Universe. You just have to find the right ones.

That said, I'm going with Baglo's advice.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
So let’s say I want to go boondocking in my 17B. I fill the freshwater tank and the hot water tank before I head out. I don’t use any hot water the entire time, but I do use all of my freshwater. Is there a way to still use that hot water (not necessarily heated)? My impression is, once the freshwater is out, there’s nothing left to push the water in the hot water tank through the pipes and faucets. Is there a workaround, or am I completely missing something? Having hot water isn’t a big concern, but I sure would like to have access to that last six gallons of water.

Thanks in advance.
I carry extra fresh water in a 7 gallon BPA free plastic Jerrycan, and just refill the freshwater tank with that. I've stayed two weeks in the same location without moving the trailer refilling the fresh water tank like that and use a portable dump tank for my black and grey water.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We do most of our cooking outside at the picnic table so I don't go to the trouble of refilling the fresh water tank from another container. That container just provides water at the picnic table.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17B / 2021Toyota 4Runner
Thanks for all of the responses and solving the mystery for me. I already carry an additional 7 gallon container. And yes, I agree using water outside makes a lot of sense. I guess I’ll just look at the hot water tank as an emergency reserve. But I do like Habberdabber’s idea of adding a fitting to drain the tank and may pursue that. When we boondock in the desert, there are no water or tank dumping resources for miles.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
If you don’t turn on the hot water heater can’t you just use the hot water side of the faucet for all your water needs?
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:22 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
If you don’t turn on the hot water heater can’t you just use the hot water side of the faucet for all your water needs?
It's a pressurized system. There's nothing to 'push' the water out of the water heater if the fresh water tank is empty or not hooked up to city water.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:35 AM   #11

Still not tapping into it's capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
One would need water in the supply tank to move the water thru the water heater via the pump. When the supply tank is empty, no more water available to pump the water heater.

There are fittings that work in the anode opening that could accommadate a valve and tap outlet. With no heat used there, plastic fittings would work. You'd first have to fill your h20 heater with an open system and at some point put it into by-pass to use those 6 gallons. Also, you'd need to open the over-pressure relief valve to allow air in and water to flow out of your h20 heater.

All this entails a bunch of monkeying around. I'd just get another water jug and use that. I re-use 1 gallon Arizona ice tea jugs.....not heavy, very durable, sort of free cost, easily stowable and carried.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:01 AM   #12

Trailer: 2022 E19
Perhaps someday there will be a filtering system in RVs to recycle the black water tank contents!
Sounds crazy but......
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #13

Look up for your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Perhaps someday there will be a filtering system in RVs to recycle the black water tank contents!
Sounds crazy but......

They recycle liquid "waste" on the International space station for consumption. No big deal.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:01 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
They recycle liquid "waste" on the International space station for consumption. No big deal.
Yep, anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. Wish I had NASA's budget.....
Old 03-31-2022, 12:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Yes, for sure. I think there are municipalities that have been doing it for years. Might be a while before it's an option on the build sheet though!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
You could use the hot water tank water first by running hot until it runs out (even if not heated) couldn't you?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
You could use the hot water tank water first by running hot until it runs out (even if not heated) couldn't you?
No because it simply fills from the freshwater tank as the water is being used.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:30 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Not unless there is something 'pushing' the water through the lines. It's a pressurized system. Without pressure, turning the faucet on gives you nothing. Well, maybe a dribble, then nothing.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I mean use it before the cold tank, with the pump on.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:29 PM   #20

Quote:
I mean use it before the cold tank, with the pump on.
The cold tank supplies ALL the water FOR the hot tank. The cold tank water is required for anything to come out of the hot water tank. Always.

It is the cold tank that always gets emptied first. Then, NOTHING can come out of the hot water heater, even if it full of water.

Tags
hot water tank, water system