Waterproof Solar Inlet - Interest From Others - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Waterproof Solar Inlet - Interest From Others

I have heard back from a friendly fellow at CNLINKO regarding purchasing 2-pin 20 amp waterproof connectors.

What I am looking at is their YP-20 female plug and male socket. The socket does come with a rubber waterproof cover. They certainly look like the best thing I have come across to date. Here is a link to the product sheet.
http://www.cnlinko.com/pdf/YP-20.pdf

Their web page.
YP-20 Power Connector | Cnlinko

The cost is very reasonable, but the shipping is a killer. See attached screen shot of quote. I assume it is in USD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	YP-20.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	14322

As you can see, shipping is quite a bear from China, but the rep said that it would hardly be any more if I was to buy a whole bunch. I am buying two myself, and if anyone else is interested, I would buy more. We could split the shipping from China, and I would just mail them out at cost.

I won't be doing this until some time in the new year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim, I'm still leaning to that MinnKota plug receptacle combo, but I might be convinced on this one. Have you run this by Reace to see if he would be interested in making one type as a potential "standardized" option?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jim, I'm still leaning to that MinnKota plug receptacle combo, but I might be convinced on this one. Have you run this by Reace to see if he would be interested in making one type as a potential "standardized" option?
I never talked to Reace, but might send him one when I get them for him to look at.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 19'
My solar wiring route through the roof

I ran the solar wiring to the cool side of the frig vent. Reace saw it and I think they might be going down that vent too. Easy, no holes in the fiberglass.

The green marks are where I used a tie wrap to fasten it. The red shows where the heat is rising from the frig exhaust.

I pulled the frig and pinned it in the corner, you could let it dangle and catch it through the lower vent access, drill a hole and you are on your way.
Attached Thumbnails
vent view wiring added.jpg  
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

The intent for this connector is for portable solar units.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #6

Here's the solar mount.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0373.jpg  
Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
is that what the roof vent for the fridge looks like now as standard? That's a big hole!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
These look like a good find, Jim. I might be interested in some different configurations (both inlets and outlets, maybe more than two pins) if they could be bundled together in one shipment - please let us know when you're ready to go ahead and need to finalize numbers. I hate "lighter" outlets, and these look like a much more reliable alternative to provide power, as well for solar and charger input connections.

The same supplier's YF connectors look very much like the Neutrik speakOn connectors that are intended for speakers (and very widely used in professional PA equipment) and sometimes used for power... as well as the much less common Neutrik powerCON connectors that are offered to reduce accidental incorrect connections.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Here's the solar mount.
Klem nice install .Are those 100 watt panels ? So you didn't drill any holes in your roof ? Still trying to decide about adding solar on my roof . I have to deal with antenna on backside corner of roof too. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Here's the solar mount.
Klem I remember when you made your roof mounts I am looking for the thread and can't find . Do you have a idea how I can get that thread ? I may have to use something like that because I Would need smaller panels with the room I have to work with . If I had to drill holes they would end up not in the cabinets but out in the open . Really don't want that . This idea might work for me . Also what if the panels ran the length of the trailer instead across ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Hi, Jim. Put me down for two sets!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Jim, I'd go for a set too. But in my quest to fill my little tool box till it won't close, I'll take 2 sets.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Jim, do you know what gauge wire these will handle?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
These look like a good find, Jim. I might be interested in some different configurations (both inlets and outlets, maybe more than two pins) if they could be bundled together in one shipment - please let us know when you're ready to go ahead and need to finalize numbers. I hate "lighter" outlets, and these look like a much more reliable alternative to provide power, as well for solar and charger input connections.

The same supplier's YF connectors look very much like the Neutrik speakOn connectors that are intended for speakers (and very widely used in professional PA equipment) and sometimes used for power... as well as the much less common Neutrik powerCON connectors that are offered to reduce accidental incorrect connections.
I imagine they would ship any of these connectors together. There are likely a multitude of uses for them, I just can't think of any other than the portable solar I would need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Hi, Jim. Put me down for two sets!
Will do, I will put together a list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Jim, I'd go for a set too. But in my quest to fill my little tool box till it won't close, I'll take 2 sets.
You got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Jim, do you know what gauge wire these will handle?
Not positive what size wire it will take, but they are rated for 20A, so I assume 12g, but certainly could be larger. For my use, I don't see needing anything larger.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #15

The link says 12g, figure I can put a short 12g pigtail on the 10g we have for the panels. The 10g is pretty bulky to work with.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The link says 12g, figure I can put a short 12g pigtail on the 10g we have for the panels. The 10g is pretty bulky to work with.
You never know, they might say 12g due to the 20A rating, but larger may fit. Wouldn't 12g be more than enough to go all the way to the panel anyway?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You never know, they might say 12g due to the 20A rating, but larger may fit. Wouldn't 12g be more than enough to go all the way to the panel anyway?
Depends on the size of the portable panel and the distance you want to be able to move it. For a 100w 6 amp panel using 12g you can go 22' with a 5% loss, 33' for 10g. Shorter if you want less loss. For a 160w 10A panel, 12g will go 13'. At least that's what the chart at Wind&Sun says.

I have 30' of 2 conductor 10g from an old job site, so that's what I'll try using. Doesn't spool up very well though.

Of course many make due with 12g or 14g power cords, and probably a lot longer then recommended, and it seems to work. Haven't heard of any fires, yet.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:41 AM   #18

I guess it would depend on acceptable losses, and what cable one is willing to carry. Accepting some line loss for a longer cable might be beneficial if the additional charging current makes it worthwhile.

Something like cab tire cable would coil nicely, is very tough and resilient to wear, stays flexible in cold, and would last a very long time. For work, it is what all my extension cords are. Sure you pay up front, but ease of use, and longevity make it worth it.

I am curious to hear what others that use a portable solar panel find is a usable length of cable. I know I have had little trouble with 15', though could see more being required at times. I am also now wondering if it might not be better to have a couple shorter cables, so one could use one shorter one if that is all that is needed, and add another length if required.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #19

Paul B has made some really good posts about how loss between the panel(s) and the controller is much less important than loss after the controller.

So my take is, that if I want to save any weight/cost to do it with that outside connection cable and go for heavy gauge wire on anything hard wired inside the trailer.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Klem nice install .Are those 100 watt panels ? So you didn't drill any holes in your roof ? Still trying to decide about adding solar on my roof . I have to deal with antenna on backside corner of roof too. Pat
Hi Pat, Happy Holidays to ALL!

Starts at 221 in the Our Solar Panel Blew Off.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post102368

And here is the panel kit, very happy with the kit and performance.

Amazon.com : Renogy 200W Mono Starter Kit, 2 Piece 100W Solar Panels Plus 20' Adapter Kit : Patio, Lawn & Garden