Wave-3 Catalytic Heater - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
I have a Coleman BlackCat tent heater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
I had one of these. I thought it would give some boondocking heat. The first time I lit it in the trailer the co alarm went off in about 2 minutes.
I have a BlackCat, intended for use in a tent or tent trailer. When I first tried it, it made a terrible stink; I don't know how much CO it was generating, as it was outside. The stink was apparently due to some coating or manufacturing residue, and it burned off after a few hours of operation. I would avoid using the thing in a travel trailer, but we did carry it as a backup for a while (and didn't need it).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Michael K,

Yes, probably defective because many of the units are in use. But, I just didn’t trust it anymore. Glad to hear yours works
I appreciate that you posted about your heater because it made me check mine - something I wouldn’t have thought to do otherwise.

Quote:
I would never sleep with a catalytic heater operating.
Completely agree with this. The heater manual says the same thing.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #23

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
For 19 years I lived near Alexandria, Minnesota. There are lakes everywhere and loaded with fish houses. In the winter I know many heat their fish houses with Mr Heater Buddy and Wave catalytic heaters sleeping in bunks at night. Many literally live in their fish houses all winter. They aren't so stupid as to have a completely sealed fish house, but make sure they have two small properly sized vents to the outside. Our plan is to crack the rear window some and to open the ceiling vent like the manufacturers say is needed. I've talked to my fishing buddies and they laughed when hearing some the the same comments made here.

Because I've done the research, called my old Alex area buddies, and understand about the venting needed, we're not worried about dying in bed like some here. We have full intentions to sleep with the heater running and wake in the morning.

There is NOT a rash of people dying in their fish houses. In fact, it rarely happens and upon investigation find out some idiot ran one with no venting. If it was a bad as some here think, Mr Heater and the Wave's would no longer be on the market.

I was just inquiring to find someone else who has put one in their Escape to get input on the install and placement.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-27-2019, 12:04 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I just don't understand why you would want to voluntarily breath exhaust fumes.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
I suggest you look up catalytic heaters and venting. A little research can go a long way.

Perry
Old 10-27-2019, 12:48 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I suggest you look up catalytic heaters and venting. A little research can go a long way.

Perry

OK. Enough crap exits through your venting to keep you alive. You are still breathing exhaust, on its way to the cracked window.

Not sure why you want to take great risk for little advantage.
BTW. We're not telling you not to follow your plan. We're posting so that others will think twice before following your example.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:32 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
I lived the first 65 years of my life in Minnesota , owned 4 fish houses , spent many a night on the ice . own a Mr Buddy heater , almost lost 3 friends to monoxide poisoning from an unvented heater in a fish house and I don’t understand it either ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #28

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Using one of the mentioned heaters is fairly common for folks with truck campers, I saw the same arguments on that forum when I was researching a new camper. Folks with the heaters liked them, folks without thought they'd kill you.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I lived the first 65 years of my life in Minnesota , owned 4 fish houses , spent many a night on the ice . own a Mr Buddy heater , almost lost 3 friends to monoxide poisoning from an unvented heater in a fish house and I don’t understand it either ?
You own a Mr Buddy heater and don't understand why 3 friends nearly died in an "unvented" fish house?

Did they have a CO detector? Obviously not one that worked. We plan on having two CO detectors.

It's amazing how some can't research, but just ass u me.

If the moderators want to lock this thread up, that's fine with me.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
You own a Mr Buddy heater and don't understand why 3 friends nearly died in an "unvented" fish house?

Did they have a CO detector? Obviously not one that worked. We plan on having two CO detectors.

It's amazing how some can't research, but just ass u me.

If the moderators want to lock this thread up, that's fine with me.

Enjoy,

Perry
I do NOT run my Mr Buddy heater in my fish house or in any enclosed space for that matter
I use my Mr Buddy heater in my deer stand , which has walls up to 30” above the floor and no roof ( Basically wide open to nature ) My deer stand does not have a smoke / propane / CO / detector
All my fish houses had / have heaters directly vented to the outdoors

I was able to make it to 70 cause I did my research !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Alright, lets play nice now...using any kind of appliance in an enclosed area can be dangerous. Even without a heater, you can die from fumes. There have been cases in Daytona Beach Speedway during races where some big motor homes running their generators and there was a heat inversion where the fumes were directed down in the area. Several persons died while sleeping in their campers next door to the motorhomes. This crossed my mind while sleeping at a rest stop next to a trucker with it's generator running to keep the refrigeration unit cold. Did not sleep too well that night.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape
I accept that the heaters can be used safely with adequate ventilation and a co detector. After all, people run stove burners in their trailers and breath the combustion fumes. My point is that I tried one, with more than adequate ventilation, supposedly. It didn’t work, I threw it out, and I’m just glad the co alarm went off. Sweet dreams.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have on occasion used my Buddy Heater in my Escape. No problems. However, I want to add a secondary CO detector. Have been doing some online research but would like to hear what you plan on getting.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Alright, lets play nice now...using any kind of appliance in an enclosed area can be dangerous. Even without a heater, you can die from fumes. There have been cases in Daytona Beach Speedway during races where some big motor homes running their generators and there was a heat inversion where the fumes were directed down in the area. Several persons died while sleeping in their campers next door to the motorhomes. This crossed my mind while sleeping at a rest stop next to a trucker with it's generator running to keep the refrigeration unit cold. Did not sleep too well that night.
Thank you!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #35

Quote:
I accept that the heaters can be used safely with adequate ventilation and a co detector. After all, people run stove burners in their trailers and breath the combustion fumes. My point is that I tried one, with more than adequate ventilation, supposedly. It didn’t work, I threw it out, and I’m just glad the co alarm went off. Sweet dreams.
Sounds like you had a defective heater and because you were intelligent enough to have a CO detector didn't die. Our plan is to have two CO detectors.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #36

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I use my Mr Buddy heater in my deer stand , which has walls up to 30” above the floor and no roof.
Now that's the best idea I've heard in a long time.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #37

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Does carbon monoxide naturally rise or fall? Propane is heavy, so sits by the floor. Where would carbon monoxide gather, if present?
Old 10-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Does carbon monoxide naturally rise or fall? Propane is heavy, so sits by the floor. Where would carbon monoxide gather, if present?

According to the instruction sheet that came with my detector, it neither rises nor falls. Spreads equally in all directions so ideal level for the detector is approximately 3' off the floor. That is about where your nose is when asleep. It's also why I don't have a combo smoke detector/CO detector. Smoke rises so the best location for a smoke detector isn't the same location for CO.
The combination explosive gas ( propane ) and CO detectors that I've found all seem to be AC and plug in to an outlet, which is useless to me. Would also need to be mounted at the floor and out of a draft.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
CO has a molar mass of 28.0 and air has an average molar mass of 28.8. The difference is so slight that CO will evenly distribute itself indoors.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:34 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
CO has a molar mass of 28.0 and air has an average molar mass of 28.8. The difference is so slight that CO will evenly distribute itself indoors.

Insidious. No safe place from it then.