Weird electricity - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Weird electricity

Weird electrical situation discovered today. Temps the last 24+ hours been in the teens. Had trailer heater on, shore power through last night but this morning went out to check and, no heat, plus, no electricity. What? As far as the heat I discovered only had one of the two propane tanks turned on and the propane ran out, don’t know when. But, although the microwave showed it was on (shore power) there was no other electricity anywhere else. No lights, fans, etc.

No fuses showing blown, but also no power to the inverter, and no power to the lithium battery remote or to the voltage indicator to the lithium battery kept in the tongue box. Power was showing only on the surge protector display.

I lit the stove top, after turning on the second propane tank. Warmed things up from 19 to 28 degrees. Checked what I could – had no answers. Brought the Wen over and fired it up, but plugged into the trailer there now was no power to the microwave. Went back to house, drank a cup of coffee and pondered the issue.

Came back out, unplugged Wen, re-connected shore power, went into trailer, poked around the WFCO, thinking – speculating - it must have died sometime in the very cold night whenever the propane to the furnace died. So I’m under the dinette table and I hear a clicking. The furnace just came on!

Suddenly, all electricity is working. I have no clue what had happened. We do have, at the moment, 5 inches of snow out there and it warmed up to 27 degrees F.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Weird electrical situation discovered today. Temps the last 24+ hours been in the teens. Had trailer heater on, shore power through last night but this morning went out to check and, no heat, plus, no electricity. What? As far as the heat I discovered only had one of the two propane tanks turned on and the propane ran out, don’t know when. But, although the microwave showed it was on (shore power) there was no other electricity anywhere else. No lights, fans, etc.

No fuses showing blown, but also no power to the inverter, and no power to the lithium battery remote or to the voltage indicator to the lithium battery kept in the tongue box. Power was showing only on the surge protector display.

I lit the stove top, after turning on the second propane tank. Warmed things up from 19 to 28 degrees. Checked what I could – had no answers. Brought the Wen over and fired it up, but plugged into the trailer there now was no power to the microwave. Went back to house, drank a cup of coffee and pondered the issue.

Came back out, unplugged Wen, re-connected shore power, went into trailer, poked around the WFCO, thinking – speculating - it must have died sometime in the very cold night whenever the propane to the furnace died. So I’m under the dinette table and I hear a clicking. The furnace just came on!

Suddenly, all electricity is working. I have no clue what had happened. We do have, at the moment, 5 inches of snow out there and it warmed up to 27 degrees F.
Check for a loose main hot or neutral at all the connections between the 30 amp plug & the breaker panel...
Old 10-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do you have a surge protector? If so, did you wait for the timeout to expire after plugging in the generator? Sounds like your batteries aren't charging so you lost the 12v
Old 10-27-2020, 12:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Check for a loose main hot or neutral at all the connections between the 30 amp plug & the breaker panel...
Yup, it happened to me yesterday. Plugged in for the first time and no power. Came to the conclusion it was the short extension cord that I always use. The hot wire had detached from the plug terminal.

Oh man, and here I was complaining about our overnight temperatures dipping down below freezing. Makes me shiver thinking about your temperatures.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #5

Yes I do. Just re-checked, all electricity working now and lithium battery showing 13.7 volts. Must have been some loose glitch that's no longer loose.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

is the 13.7 the charge voltage or the battery voltage?
Old 10-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Power of prayer!!!

Quote:
Yes I do. Just re-checked, all electricity working now and lithium battery showing 13.7 volts. Must have been some loose glitch that's no longer loose.
Hi: MyronL... Just shows what can happen while you're on your knees. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #8

It is the battery voltage. Well, I m assuming there's no charging going on from the WFCO and there's no sun out there currently. Alf, how did you know I had slipped on the ice?
Old 10-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
It is the battery voltage. Well, I m assuming there's no charging going on from the WFCO and there's no sun out there currently.
Why wouldn't the WFCO charger be charging your lithium battery?
Old 10-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #10

My understanding is my vintage 2013 WFCO's converter/charger needs an upgrade to provide the 14.4+V boost the lithiums can handle. I did test the Battleborn several days with a light load for charging through the shore powered WFCO. Never exceeded 13.6 volts and those numbers did drop. Have ordered a PD4655L MBA Wildcat 55 main board assembly. Expecting it to treat the battery better and give me secure added flexibility when Solar is not an option.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
My understanding is my vintage 2013 WFCO's converter/charger needs an upgrade to provide the 14.4+V boost the lithiums can handle. I did test the Battleborn several days with a light load for charging through the shore powered WFCO. Never exceeded 13.6 volts and those numbers did drop. Have ordered a PD4655L MBA Wildcat 55 main board assembly. Expecting it to treat the battery better and give me secure added flexibility when Solar is not an option.
Sounds good. I think that is the unit I recommended to you in another thread.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Quote:
I don't believe in electrical miracles. I'd do as Jon suggested and get down there again and wiggle and jiggle and see if you can find a loose connection.

Ron
Old 10-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
If only a Don had chimed in, but I agree with Jon and Ron. The cold may have shrunk a long broken wire just enough, or the moving around jiggled a broken wire or loose connection just enough to reestablish connection. Perhaps in the area you were working on your battery replacement?

I’ll stop now because this was mostly about the Jon and Ron tag team.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Can I join the Jon & ron tag team?

I concur with their suggestions. You HAVE to WORK the problem. Jiggle, tighten, pull and check ALL those pesky connections. And cold can do mysterious things.....like shrinking plastic 13 TIMES more than metal. Those thermoplastic items can really move, sometimes.

Electrical demons are devils!
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
But, although the microwave showed it was on (shore power) there was no other electricity anywhere else. No lights, fans, etc.
The lights and fans are all 12 volt DC, so at this point in the adventure there was AC power but not DC power... suggesting a flaky connection in the DC wiring.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #16

That makes sense. I was wondering what could account for only the microwave having power.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:43 PM   #17

What happens to lithium batteries in an unheated area when the temp is in the teens?
Old 10-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #18

That's where mine is right now and has been since installed. Today, around 5 pm I think, the voltage read was 13.7V so guessing what has happened is...nothing. More weird elecricitry?
Old 10-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post

I’ll stop now because this was mostly about the Jon and Ron tag team.
Yah, Jon and I are a real tag team. He makes blueberry pies at Q'site and I eat them.

Ron
Old 10-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yah, Jon and I are a real tag team. He makes blueberry pies at Q'site and I eat them.

Ron
I can’t rhyme but I can eat blueberry pie, apple pie,,
pumpkin pie, peach, strawberry and about 20 others. And. Then start on creme pies. The only pie I don’t care for is mince. Iowa Dave was here
Attached Thumbnails
2EC4C581-D2BC-4B33-AD7C-8F4827B97BC9.jpg