WF-8955-AD in E19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2022, 10:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
WF-8955-AD in E19

I am not a fan of the auto detection in the power center installed in my 2022 E19, model WF-8955-AD-WAGO. The older unit with the physical switch between modes would have been preferred.

I opted for the lithium ready option from Escape and swapped the lead acid for my own 280AH LiFePO4 battery soon after arriving home. By WFCO design a full discharge followed by a full recharge is needed to allow the lithium detection. After many hours on shore power from the garage with battery at about 88%, power was interrupted and the whole process had to start again. WFCO does have a video for a different model with AD that offers a shortcut to put the unit into lithium mode while charging that isn’t entirely accurate to the setup in the Escape but it worked, for now. I am not holding my breath on it holding settings on future recharges or when the battery needs to be disconnected.

In regards to that video: my panel does not have a switch like the video does to just disable charge to the battery. Pulling a fuse is an option to make that change but I was able to accomplish the charge disruption using my battery’s BMS app. After seeing the lights go from green to blue I toggled the option in the app again. The video also advises opening up the unit just to see the lights on the board. With the setup in the Escape that isn’t really necessary since the green or blue lights are partially visible under my bench seat even in daylight. Pics attached, I think.
Attached Thumbnails
1A0D7269-3AEE-4C71-83A1-C601EA5907B0.jpg   385641E0-9D20-4E2A-86AD-39DC1E2CD02F.jpg  
BPBloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPBloss View Post
By WFCO design a full discharge followed by a full recharge is needed to allow the lithium detection.
Where did you come up with that conclusion?

OPERATOR’S MANUAL WF-8900-AD SERIES

I didn't see that anywhere. My Chins 300ah Smart Lithium Battery was a 50% and the AD replacement converter (WFCO WF-8955-AD-MBA Main Board Assembly for WF-8900-AD Series Power Center - 55 Amp) I added to my 2020 Non-Lithium WFCO went into Lithium mode and charged at a full 55 ah. I think the battery voltage just has to be below 13.6 volts for it to switch into bulk mode.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #3

When I was unable to charge from any source while in the 75-80% battery capacity range I contacted WFCO both through email and a phone call. In both cases I was told the battery must be fully discharged to allow the switch. I am glad it is not affecting everyone given your experience.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:59 AM   #4

Quote:
When I was unable to charge from any source while in the 75-80% battery capacity range I contacted WFCO both through email and a phone call. In both cases I was told the battery must be fully discharged to allow the switch. I am glad it is not affecting everyone given your experience.
I certainly believe they told you that, but, it really doesn't make any sense.

The bulk charging profiles for both Lead Acid and Lithium both start at greater than 14.2 volts which is typically what is specified for LiFePO4 batteries. The absorption voltage is the same 13.6 volts. The only real difference between the two profiles is after 2 days the lead acid profile switches to float mode and lithium doesn't because lithium batteries don't self-discharge as quickly as lead acid batteries do.

Lead Acid Charging Profile
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO AD Lead Acid.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	65472

Lithium Charging Profile

Name:	WFCO AD Lithium.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	65473

Edit: What were you basing the 75-80% battery capacity on? Do your batteries have a Bluetooth Equipped BMS?
Old 10-22-2022, 12:05 PM   #5

Yes I do have bluetooth battery BMS.

Looking back through some notes and a screenshot or two I see that it still would not change mode when the battery was down to 13.34 volts.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes I do have bluetooth battery BMS.

Looking back through some notes and a screenshot or two I see that it still would not change mode when the battery was down to 13.34 volts.
This was while it was in the trailer?

My 2020 trailer had a 50 amp thermal breaker that needed to be changed out because LIFePO4 batteries will charge at a full 55 amps.

Name:	A0BC2967-6883-47F7-8E01-AB98BB5C0A29.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	65474

This is someone else's photo from a different thread discussing this. The bottom thermal breaker is 50 amps and is between the WFCO converter and the battery. I don't know how long it takes to reset. Or what is required for it to reset. Hopefully, TDF-Texas will chime in on this thread.