WF-8955 LIS missing Li/LA battery switch/Led on circuit board - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2022, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape
WF-8955 LIS missing Li/LA battery switch/Led on circuit board

New 5.0 trailer. While checking that the WFCO 8955Lis board is set to "Li", 2 stage mode, found the board looks different than the provided schematic in the manual.
The main issue is the board in this case has no Li/La switch, nor led. Schematic shows both.
I have no way to verify this board is working in 2 stage vs 3 stage beyond sitting there with a meter waiting for the changes....ugh!
Has WFCO eliminated the switch/led and the LIS models are now always in 2 stage mode for only Li batteries these days? Perhaps WFCO hasn't yet updated their manual?
Attached Thumbnails
20220226_115421_copy_515x1089_1.jpg   20220226_110512_copy_452x956_1.jpg  
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
New 5.0 trailer. While checking that the WFCO 8955Lis board is set to "Li", 2 stage mode, found the board looks different than the provided schematic in the manual.
The main issue is the board in this case has no Li/La switch, nor led. Schematic shows both.
I have no way to verify this board is working in 2 stage vs 3 stage beyond sitting there with a meter waiting for the changes....ugh!
Has WFCO eliminated the switch/led and the LIS models are now always in 2 stage mode for only Li batteries these days? Perhaps WFCO hasn't yet updated their manual?
My 5.0 12-10-21 has it, but I picked the lithium ready option. Maybe it’s part of that package?
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
that looks like the fuse board on my older non-lithium 8955. I'm using a PD4655Li, which has the jumper on the power converter module, not on the fuse panel
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
My 5.0 12-10-21 has it, but I picked the lithium ready option. Maybe it’s part of that package?
We also have the "Li Ready" option, with the Orion. We also took the trailer without a battery, as we had BB batteries. It's clearly labeled as a WFCO8955LIS. Checked at WFCO and that model has the switch and the manual sent with the trailer discusses and shows the switch.

Looks as if the original circuit board was swapped out for something else or WFCO has removed the switch so the LIS models are only 2 stage now and don't switch to 3 stage any longer. Don't know....
Old 02-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that looks like the fuse board on my older non-lithium 8955. I'm using a PD4655Li, which has the jumper on the power converter module, not on the fuse panel
Yeah...I was thinking the original board was swapped out.
Old 02-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Team

I note in that schematic, there's also what looks to be a 3 pin connector above the switch, this probably goes down to the converter mainboard, and maybe they decided to put a jumper on the main board in its place?
Old 02-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
The downloadable manual on the current WFCO 8955Lis webpage shows the lithium switch that's missing on your board. https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8955lis/

I'd give WFCO a call at the number on that webpage and see if they can offer guidance.

FWIW my 5.0 ordered with the base standard 12v FLA battery (built in July-August 2021) was delivered with the 8955Lis and it certainly has the lithium switch as shown in the manual.

Good Luck.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
The downloadable manual on the current WFCO 8955Lis webpage shows the lithium switch that's missing on your board. https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8955lis/

I'd give WFCO a call at the number on that webpage and see if they can offer guidance.

FWIW my 5.0 ordered with the base standard 12v FLA battery (built in July-August 2021) was delivered with the 8955Lis and it certainly has the lithium switch as shown in the manual.

Good Luck.
Thanks. I sent email to ETI. Just got the trailer 14 days ago. Found an exact match for the circuit board installed in our power center at the WFCO website. It's for a WFCO8955PEC. Our power center is definitely a WFCO8955LIS but the circuit board is for a WFCO8955PEC, which is a 3 stage LA mode board that doesn't support Li batteries.

Might assume ETI would have noticed that when they tried to set it to 2 stage mode for Li batteries, but fortunately we noticed double checking the power center was setup correctly for our Li batteries.

Best to double check everything these days!
Old 02-26-2022, 03:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Good Luck.
Thanks. I sent email to ETI. Just got the trailer 14 days ago. Found an exact match for the circuit board installed in our power center at the WFCO website. It's for a WFCO8955PEC. Our power center is definitely a WFCO8955LIS but the circuit board is for a WFCO8955PEC, which is a 3 stage LA mode board that doesn't support Li batteries and doesn't have a switch.

Might assume ETI would have noticed that when they tried to set it to 2 stage mode for Li batteries, but fortunately we noticed double checking the power center was setup correctly for our Li batteries.

Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20220226-152531_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20220226-153223_Gallery.jpg  
Old 02-26-2022, 07:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:

Yes, you really need to double check everything:

We ordered one of the first lithium ready packages from ETI.
When I checked over the equipment on the new trailer I found the WFCO to be the correct model and set to the lithium setting. The solar controller was correct but set to the lead acid setting. The DC to DC charger had never even been installed on the trailer.

When I notified ETI about the missing charger they promptly shipped me a new one with all the wire and connectors I needed to install it myself.

Here is a picture of the WFCO 8955Lis board with the La-Li switch.
Attached Thumbnails
wfco8955Lis.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
Yes, you really need to double check everything:

We ordered one of the first lithium ready packages from ETI.
When I checked over the equipment on the new trailer I found the WFCO to be the correct model and set to the lithium setting. The solar controller was correct but set to the lead acid setting. The DC to DC charger had never even been installed on the trailer.

When I notified ETI about the missing charger they promptly shipped me a new one with all the wire and connectors I needed to install it myself.

Here is a picture of the WFCO 8955Lis board with the La-Li switch.
Thanks for the pic. That's the switch that we are missing. So odd in that it is a WFCO8955LIS power center. Just don't know if WFCO installed the wrong board on their end or if someone at ETI swapped it.

I'm leaning towards ETI swapping it because they should have seen this problem when they enabled the Li mode. In that case, I would have sent the whole power center back to WFCO as dectective and grabbed another.

Even if ETI sends us the correct circuit board now, we don't yet know if someone swapped out both the circuit board and the charger with the WFCO8955PEC stuff in both cases. The board is differently a PEC circuit board for FLA, 3 stage charging. Makes sense someone may have swapped both the board and charger.

I'm going to have to pull out the charger and check it.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:08 AM   #12
Site Team

on the board with the switch, where does that 2-3 skinny wire (I can only see red+yellow) plug above the switch go on the main converter board?

it might be worth inspecting the converter that didn't come with the switch fuseboard, and see if it even has the connector, and if it does, maybe that connector been jumpered for Lithium which would mean it should work.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
on the board with the switch, where does that 2-3 skinny wire (I can only see red+yellow) plug above the switch go on the main converter board?

it might be worth inspecting the converter that didn't come with the switch fuseboard, and see if it even has the connector, and if it does, maybe that connector been jumpered for Lithium which would mean it should work.
Perhaps. However, our thoughts are this problem should be sorted out by ETI. Trailer is brand new, they were paid for a "Li Ready" trailer a few weeks ago. The main power center they installed does not support Lithium. Be it a WFCO error or a ETI error, ETI was paid, should have tried to flip the "missing switch" to Li mode, noticed the switch was missing, and corrected this issue, long before we got the trailer. ETI needs to make this right, now.

The only other possibility we can think of is this power center is a brand new WFCO product that only supports Lithium and only does 2 stage charging. That means WFCO did not use a new product number and still used the old schematics on the unit and in the user manual, still showing the switch, but it's no longer required. Very low probability this would be a true case.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 17B
It's interesting in that I was considering going to a lithium battery myself and had just recently looked at the panel installed in my unit. I assumed all was good. It is also an "Lis" designation panel but when I checked it just now it does not have the switch. I don't know if mine was spec'd as a lithium ready model or not, I don't recall seeing that anywhere in my documentation... curious.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
This is interesting. I have two 6V wet cell golf cart batteries. My WFCO does have the Lis switch, and it was incorrectly set to Lis when I got the trailer. (Sept ‘22)
Old 02-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
It's interesting in that I was considering going to a lithium battery myself and had just recently looked at the panel installed in my unit. I assumed all was good. It is also an "Lis" designation panel but when I checked it just now it does not have the switch. I don't know if mine was spec'd as a lithium ready model or not, I don't recall seeing that anywhere in my documentation... curious.
Li Ready option would be found that on your signed off build sheet. It's was a $411 option for us.
Attached Thumbnails
SmartSelect_20220228-110335_Write on PDF.jpg  
Old 02-28-2022, 10:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 17B
Quote:
Li Ready option would be found that on your signed off build sheet. It's was a $411 option for us.
I just double checked, and confirmed I did not spec a lithium ready option.
Now I'm curious which converter is installed. Perhaps it's only the label on the panel cover that is incorrect.
Still strange though.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #18

Trailer: n/a
For what it's worth, on 1/17/22 I asked Harrison about the Li compatible WFCO converter:
"Are you currently installing the lithium compatible WFCO converter as standard or does the Li compatible version only come with the lithium battery ready option?"
>>Answer: ​A lithium compatible converter comes standard
DebbieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:30 PM   #19

Took most of the day but here's where this problem landed. Outcome was OK.

Apparently WFCO has recently come out with a new power center model...WFCO8955-AD-B, Auto-Dectect.
It can Auto-Dectect the battery type it's charging and change charging modes to match.

ETI currently is installing the legacy LIS power centers and the newest Auto-Detect power centers, both. I can't say how they decided what trailer gets what type power center. However, we are told the "covers" are stock piled on the production line as everything is unboxed. The electric workers install several trailers and the last thing that happens is they grab a cover from the stock pile.

So....our trailer had a AutoDetect power center installed but a worker grabbed a LIS cover & installed it. So that led to the missing Li switch problem, as our power center had an LIS cover & manual. The AutoDetect power centers have no switch.

Today, Dustin took pictures of an Auto-Detect circuit board and converter, sending those to me. I pulled out the converter from our power center. I was able to match our model/part numbers to the circuit board and converter pictures Dustin send to us.

The final step is we will do a swap, sending our LIS cover and manual to ETI. ETI will send an Auto-Dectect cover and manual to us.

Done deal...
Attached Thumbnails
SmartSelect_20220301-000023_Write on PDF.jpg  
Old 03-01-2022, 09:04 AM   #20

Trailer: 2022 E19
Which model did they install?

WF-8540-AD or the WF-8560-AD (what your attachment showed)

Or, the WF-8955-AD shown here:

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...enterCat-1.pdf

I don't see the "B" suffix......?

Glad you found out what the deal was, it had me a bit after seeing some of the electrical related comments in other threads. (Like 30 amp thermal fuses limiting the charging rate...)
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote