What Lensun Flexible To Purchase and Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
What Lensun Flexible To Purchase and Install

We only have a single 170 watt GoPower panel that is angled around 5-10 degrees to the rear of the camper. In January 2020, when parked with the rear of the camper to the north the air conditioner shaded the panel. The GoPower panel didn’t work at all in January at Death Valley despite not a cloud in the sky.

There have been many times the rear of the camper is in the shade but the front is in the sun, but currently there is no panel on the front of the camper. ETI plumbed the electrical on the top of the roof to accept another panel. We carry a 100 watt Renogy portable, but find it’s a PITA setting up and putting away. I want the portable only when both ends of the camper are in pure shade. I want to install a flexible panel on the front of the camper just behind the emergency hatch.

Since Lensun has a winter sale I’m about to purchase a flexible panel for the front of our 5.0, mounted just behind the escape hatch. The real estate I have to work with is 41.5” X 27.5”. The 41.5” width (camper side to side) is to the beginning of the roof bend on each side, and the 27.5” length (camper front to back) starts where the caulking for the escape hatch ends.

The following is the specs for our existing 170 watt GoPower panel
170 watt Manufacturer: ? Efficiency: 16.4%
Max Power Voltage: 19.3v Open circuit voltage: 22.8v
170 Watt GoPower Rigid Panel
https://gpelectric.com/products/170-watt-solar-module/

The following are the choices we have for Lensun branded panels.

100 watt Manufacturer: ? Efficiency: 22% Size: 38.6 X 26.4 X 0.1 inches
Max power voltage: 18v Open circuit voltage: 21.24v
100 Watt Lensun Flexible Panel
https://www.lensunsolar.com/Flexible...product_id=339

120 watt Manufacturer: ? Efficiency: 22% Size: 41.7 X 27.4 X 0.1 inches
Max power voltage: 17v Open circuit voltage: 20.06
120 Watt Lensun Flexible Panel
https://www.lensunsolar.com/Flexible...product_id=437

It appears the 100 watt panel specs are closer to the GoPower’s specs and the size will fit the best. I’m not expecting to fully charge our batteries from a 20-30ah day, but more so to avoid having to use our 100 watt portable as much as we are currently.

Are the specs close enough for the 120 watt panel?

Can I put the 3M tape on the curve of the roof?

Are there any other branded panels we should look at?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 03-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Was 2011 17B, now Bigfoot 21
I'm not sure you read Lensun post a while back (https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ems-17734.html) but since then the portable panel has also failed. I like the idea of light, flexible panels but thier implementation, I'm not sure about.
Good luck with your panels.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19'
Perry, have you looked at the Light Leaf panels ETI talked about on their 9-29-20 update:

I don't know much about solar panels but thought these might work on my 19' when I get it in May 2021. Here is the link to Light Leaf: https://www.lightleafsolar.com/
MTDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Hi Perry, I looked at flexible panels and yes the lensuns seem to be one of the better ones, but decided against flexibles due to heat issues living in the south west.
I finally narrowed my selection down to two solid panel to complement the 160 watt panel on our 5.0.
I purchased two of the HQST 100W Compact Design Monocrystalline Solar Panel. Really liked the compact design size of 39.64" x 19.61" x 1.18"
Rule of thumb is to try and keep your panels within 10 percent of VMP.
VMP ( 20.6v )
IMP ( 4.85a )
Good luck with your install.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JXYTFF7/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQJZQPY...lig_dp_it&th=1
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have been reading many comments online about all flexible solar panels. Consensus is not a good choice for a permanent roof attachment. Like, they tend to have a seriously much shorter lifespan than the rigid ones. Not easily removed when they need replacing. Best move is to do much research on them beforehand.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I use a Lensun 100 watt suitcase foldable with a Zamp plug. I've had it for almost 3 years, still working fine. It is so light that if it fails, even though it's pricey, I'll replace it for the convenience.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
After hearing from others (posts and emails), plus reading on other forums of Lensun (as well as other) flexible failures, we'll be purchasing a Renogy Eclipse 100 watt rigid panel, that is 40.9" X 21" and will easily fit in the space behind the emergency escape hatch (41.5” X 27.5”). We'll also purchase six, 3-hole mounts with 3M VHB tape, and a tube of Dicor, from AM Solar to attach the panels to the roof.

Last February, when we parked our 5.0 with the 170 watt panel in the shade, our 100 watt Renogy portable panel had no problem filling our SiO2 batteries. I'm expecting the Renogy 100 watt roof panel to do the same when camped with the 170 watt rear roof mount in the shade in the spring/summer/fall. Then the portable will be relegated to when-all-else-fails mode.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Just got an 80 watts flexible Lensun to supplement my four 80 watts rigid Renogy Eclipse, but didn't install it yet. I may go with this method.

Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Recently installed a Lensun 120 on my 5.0 TA. Initially it seemed to be working okay but within a 2 week period the output current went to zero and the OC voltage barely 10-12 volts. What a piece of junk! Now I have to remove it and replace with something more reliable. I have two questions. What's the best way to remove from 3m VHB bonding tape and what panel is recommended for replacement? I'm using a Victron 20A MPPT controller and currently only plan to use for battery charging.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
TKscape is offline   Reply With Quote