What's the best drinking water hose? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2021, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
What's the best drinking water hose?

Some taste really plastic-y...some are like wrestling alligators when you try to coil them. Many say Lead, Pthalate and BPA free, but are they? And what about those made from PVC?

What's your hose of choice? Camco? Valterra? Coil? Diameter? Length? Brass or SS fittings?
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:42 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I recently replaced my lifetime warranty Ace Hardware one that we've used for 7 years, since it started tasting like a hose, which the white ones usually do not.

The white RV one they replaced it with looks to be a pretty good selection. It's 1/2 inch and 25 feet long. It's on their site for $26.99, but of course they just handed it to me. Coils well and has larger end fittings.

I've brought an additional 50' blue RV hose with me for years and only used it once.

I don't see any benefit to a hose size of more than 1/2 inch since I doubt the lines inside the trailer would benefit.

I also like having a pressure reducer with built-in gauge, versus the little brass one that you don't know what pressure you're actually getting.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Get a handle on it!!!

Hi: Bill and Earline... These days I seem to be under a lot of pressure... what with Co-Vivid and no camping!!! It doesn't matter whether it's a water hose, power cord, or a simple piece of string, if I touch it... it'll snarl. My only job is to make sure there's no drips, sparks, or hang ups. IMHO the best drinking water hose is one with water in it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Well, you won't like the price, but custom hoses from the RV Water Filter Store are the best hoses I've used. They don't kink, roll well, and the fittings are excellent. I have a 25' I keep in reserve & 15' that I use for most hookups.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I know a guy who likes to wash the bugs off of the front of his camper after a long day when he gets to the campground. Sometimes he has to hook three or four hoses together and post a lookout for the camp host lady who patrols with a very quiet golf cart. I’m looking forward to camping with him and his wife again this fall. I just have a Camco 25 footer and a ten and a six foot high quality stiffer weight hose that I use when the hookup is close. I always use a filter on the hose, a pressure regulator and I have a filter under the sink that’s like a refrigerator water filter. I replace both filters annually. Half inch is adequate. New rubbers on one hose end every year too. Can’t stand a leaky rubber. A leaky rubber is dangerous (especially around electricity)
Iowa Dave
Old 05-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
If you're looking for a water hose, just make sure it's a RV/Marine drinking water hose. We mistakenly used one that wasn't and...Yuck! Never again!

For years we used those basic white or blue RV drinking hoses (like at Walmart/Camping World) and they do the job. But my sweet sister got me a Zero G RV hose (https://www.amazon.com/Teknor-Apex-4...1698170&sr=8-8 ) for Christmas one year and I liked it so much I bought another one.

This hose is a bit pricier than traditional ones but I like this hose better because it weighs less than traditional hoses and it's much easier to put away and takes up much less room.

I store our Zero G RV hose inside this hose caddie (https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...698340&sr=8-15 ). This caddie protects the hose making easy to use just as much hose as is needed and if hooked up to city water, the remaining hose stays off the ground, in the caddie under the trailer. No need to drag the hose on the ground anymore. This hose caddie fits perfectly through the outside storage compartment door on the driver side (under the bed) in our 21C. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
Best Hose....so far.

I have tried a few different hoses, and have found that the typical water supply hoses (usually white with a blue stripe), are too stiff and are a struggle to coil neatly for storage.

As recommended by Ray from Love Your RV, I bought the Camco Evo hose and find it to be very flexible and easily coiled for storage. A made in USA product available from Amazon.ca.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Evo Hose.pdf (557.3 KB, 44 views)
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by padamas View Post
I have tried a few different hoses, and have found that the typical water supply hoses (usually white with a blue stripe), are too stiff and are a struggle to coil neatly for storage.

I prefer stiff to sloppy. I roll the hose in my fingers as I coil it so that it naturally coils. Same with electric cords.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I have some short sections of Flexzilla hose. It’s soft and coils easily without kinking. Doesn’t get stiff in the cold. Buying a longer one soon. They used to only be available in chartreuse which is a little flashy for camping but now they make some earth tone colors.

https://www.amazon.com/Colors-Garden...HVV7QQ8R9PSRRQ
Old 05-23-2021, 06:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I use a 25-foot coil hose I purchased at (ugh) Camping World for @ $33. It is blue, very light, and because it coils, I don’t have a pile of hose coils on the ground or hanging off the bumper if the connections are right next to the trailer. It coils equally well in cold temperatures as it does in warm. I also have a 25-foot AquaArmor hose for the rare occasions I need more than 25-feet. The AquaArmor hose also remains flexible in the cold like Flexzilla hoses but is not a hideous (my opinion) color, is lighter in weight than a “conventional” RV hose. AquaArmor is available at Walmart and Ace Hardware.

But the best drinking water hose may be any of those mentioned, as everything posted is opinion. The “best” hose is ultimately the hose that works best for you, and it very well may not be the first one you purchase.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
All these fancy hoses amaze me. I carry 3 of the cheapest 25’ hoses I can. I have needed all 75’. They all grow stuff inside eventually. So I replace one a year on a 3 year rotation. The oldest gets moved to black / gray water use.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:47 AM   #12

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by padamas View Post

As recommended by Ray from Love Your RV, I bought the Camco Evo hose and find it to be very flexible and easily coiled for storage. A made in USA product available from Amazon.ca.
Have used many, and like this hose so well I bought and additional 10 footer which works at a lot of sites. I always buy 5/8” so if it develops a funny taste I can use it for a yard water hose.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote