Which 6 volt AGM batteries to choose? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Smile Which 6 volt AGM batteries to choose?

We are planning on having 2 6v AGM batteries installed in our 5.0 TA at orientation. However, Production needs to approve them prebuild. If you chose AGM batteries instead of FLA batteries, which brand and model did you choose? Would you choose the same ones again or something different? Thank you in advance since the will be the last ( or next to last) decision we have to make before signing off on the build sheet.

This forum is the best and so helpful to Escape newbies.
poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #2

Trailer: none
I'm partial to Trojan batteries. Here is their RV/Marine lineup:

https://www.trojanbattery.com/markets/mr/6v/
Old 08-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Lifeline is another good one, I'd be happy with these or the Trojans. Finding them locally can be the hard part.

America's Best Deep Cycle RV Battery| Lifeline Batteries
Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Lifeline is another good one, I'd be happy with these or the Trojans. Finding them locally can be the hard part.

America's Best Deep Cycle RV Battery| Lifeline Batteries
AM Solar uses Lifeline in their installs. They only use the best. For 6V you’d probably be looking at the GPL-4CT.
https://amsolar.com/agm-batteries
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Another vote for Lifeline GPL-4CT. I don't have them, but when my batteries die that's what I'm getting. Honestly though, I think the differences are going to be small between quality brands.

I don't have any quantitative data as to why LifeLine, but I've noticed them used by people who care about quality. Lifeline keeps bragging how they're used in military fighter jets, which sounds good to me. They also seem to be used in the marine industry a lot per a friend of mine who's into boating and just bought these recently.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I recommend Trojan.
Why? I haven't a clue, but it's what I have now after replacing Interstate. I think it may be because they have a great reputation and a web site that is a wealth of information.
I'd check out the Trojan web site. Then I'd have the information I need to make an intelligent selection for my circumstance.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I’d get Crown GC2’s, based on recommendation of others who routinely take batteries apart to see how they’re built and why they failed. Crown batteries consistently get highest marks for quality construction.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We're bringing two Crown AGM 6CRV220's with us in October. Crown, Trojan, and Lifeline seem to be the three consistently recommended.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Here's another company to consider. Gets good reviews on solar generator sites. I have no experience with them though. 6V are listed under golf cart batteries.
https://www.vmaxtanks.com/
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Another vote for Lifeline GPL-4CT
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
Another vote for Lifeline GPL-4CT
I've no experience with any of them, but I would probably go with either the Lifeline or the Trojan. The Lifeline because of it's 1 year replacement/5 year prorate, hand built US made, and the Trojan because of it's industry reputation and track record. The VMAX looks to be a good choice as well, but their warranty only covers the first year.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just make sure you get ones that'll fit the ETI box/s.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For a power hungry, long term dry camping like me, check out the entire Lifeline 6V line - top end is a 400 amp hour GPL-L16T that would take some creative work to fit, and strong back at 119 pounds.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
top end is a 400 amp hour GPL-L16T that would take some creative work to fit, and strong back at 119 pounds.
Yes, and times TWO! At almost double the weight of my Interstate wet cells, 240 lbs of batteries would certainly change the tongue weight on my 19 - presuming there was a way to make them fit.

EDIT: just thinking out loud, I suppose you could mount them under the queen bed in the rear instead, and run some very long and THICK battery cables underneath the trailer along the frame rail. But now you're shedding 125 lbs of tongue weight and adding 240 lbs on the rear. Hmm. First world problems.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
FWIW, I have used both Lifeline AGM 6v'ers (on a boat), and Canadian Tire AGM 6v'ers (in a camper), and both were excellent. I chose the Cdn Tire ones due to their local availability - shipping these things is prohibitively expensive, but anything handled by Cdn Tire (or similar in the US) will be shipped to the local store for free, although sometimes after a delay when it comes to batteries. In my opinion, any 6v AGM from the major manufacturers will be a more reliable than a flooded battery, so warranty is less likely to be an issue. Longevity will be affected more by the choice of charging system than by battery manufacturer. Best performance requires proper charging, and this will not happen from a standard tug set up, and is very unlikely to happen from the standard converter/charger in the Escapes.

Quote:

Indeed. My purchased AGM's (Cdn Tire) were initially denied approval by ETI based on the measurements provided on the Cdn Tire website. The measurements on the website were wrong - only by a fraction of an inch, but enough to make them apparently not fit the box. I measured the batteries carefully, and guess what, they were smaller than the listed size (no doubt a standard group dimension), and they were then approved based on my measurements, and are now installed. Bottom line is that the fit is tight, and listed measurements may not be correct. If possible measure the batteries carefully, including maximum height at the top of the posts, before buying them, because ETI will check, and models apparently too large will not be approved. 6V AGMs are not cheap, so best be careful.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
That is an important issue. We are getting the straight rather than U shaped dinette in order to have more room for our two large( 65 and 70 lb) standard poodles under the table. The battery space is 23"x13", so I'm going to let my husband do the math. The things we do for our dogs.
poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 19 ft
Surrette Rolls

I've noticed no one has mentioned the Surrette Rolls batteries. Currently using these at our off-grid casita in the Baja, they have performed amazingly.

S6-460AGM | Rolls Battery

We're taking delivery of our new Escape 19 in October (getting very excited!), and ordered the ETI provided 6V AGMs, which should work fine for us until I upgrade the solar, at which time I'm thinking of using lithium solar batteries. Worth some research for anyone considering new batteries. I've attached a photo of our new lithium solar system under construction for our Mexican castia..
Gord & Beth
Vancouver Island
Attached Thumbnails
solar 2 mantancitas3.jpg  
Casa Loba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casa Loba View Post
I've noticed no one has mentioned the Surrette Rolls batteries. Currently using these at our off-grid casita in the Baja, they have performed amazingly.
They haven't been mentioned, you're right. The smallest 6V AGM they make, the S6-275AGM, is tall but it should fit. They're great batteries, But you would be adding about another 30 lbs, with each weighing about 77 lbs.

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/99427...75-agm-battery
Old 08-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #19
Site Team

Interesting tidbit about Surrette /Rolls I saw on a reseller website:

"Established in 1935 in Salem, Massachusetts, The Rolls Surrette Battery Company has been a trusted name in deep cycle batteries for well over 50 years. The company relocated to Springhill, Nova Scotia, Canada, in 1959 where it is the nation's only remaining independent battery manufacturer."

So they are the only remaining independent battery manufacturer in Canada? Wow.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 5.0
Interstate 6V AGM way cheaper than Trojan with the same specs. We are really happy with ours! We bought ours in the states and took them up to BC.
kfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm batteries